Hershey Park 6-28-85 (set II) and Saratoga 6-27-85 (set I) have always been favorite tapes of mine. I LOVE 1985, especially the summer and the spring. Its weird how in the first half of the 80s they could play really good shows when Jerry seemed to be unhealthy. It seems to me that Jerry's poor health meant bad shows more in the 90s, but that's just a vague impression, not based on any facts I have or anything.

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to that SPAC show but not the Hershey park. Midnight Hour, Bertha opener was excellent (Bobby and Brent back and forth in the ending part of Midnight Hour) and the second set Stranger-> Eyes->GDTRFB was excellent, as well.

Yeah, Lammy, the whole SPAC show is good (well, I'm not crazy about the post drums/space part of the show, but the first half of set II is very good, like you said).

What do you guys know about Charlie Miller and how he came to be the revered mix-master tape-fixer dude? Curious about his history and connections to the Dead family.

I've often wondered about that myself. Along with the fact that you can snag SBD shows from bt.etree.org, but the very same shows are blocked from downloading at Archive.org. And that guy seems to be the one who has or works on all the SBD shows.

I read that Miller is going to fix Dave's Pick #2 - I guess it runs a bit fast - I haven't listened to it, yet, but I am guessing I would have not notice the speed difference if I haven't read about it, could be wrong though. I haven't seen the fix anywhere, I am not sure if it will be put on on bt.etree.org.

I don't think they would go for a commercial release being seeded there. I am surprised someone has not busted that guy. (Although, there are some shows up there that have been commercially released in the past.)

Yeah you are probably right about the commercial release.

Blair Jackson wrote about tapers in his latest blog entry:

http://dead.net/feat...all-hail-tapers

I heard that interview that Gans was talking about in his comment - it was pretty good.

At Cal Expo in June 1990, I interviewed three of the legends: Barry Glassberg, Rob Bertrando, and Jerry Moore. We did it during the break, using Barry's microphones, and he almost missed the start of the second set 'cause he had to get his rig set up again in a big hurry!

Hershey Park 6-28-85 (set II) and Saratoga 6-27-85 (set I) have always been favorite tapes of mine. I LOVE 1985, especially the summer and the spring. Its weird how in the first half of the 80s they could play really good shows when Jerry seemed to be unhealthy. It seems to me that Jerry's poor health meant bad shows more in the 90s, but that's just a vague impression, not based on any facts I have or anything.

hersheypark- and city island the yera before.

hershey kiss raindrops.

well done shug!!!!

amen brother

i remember having that hershey show on a shitty 3rd gen tape. i was never a fan of 85 (the heroin years?). i just dont like garcia's voice. he sounds so listless. the playing is good, except for brent's toy piano sound. the set lists were very interesting too. cryptical! ? need to check some of those out again. funny how we all have our favorite eras. garcia's playing really didn't drop until '92 as far as i can tell. even then, there were some nuggets in each show.

Not trying to convince ya to like '85, vacant, because it was full of bum notes and bad singing from Jerry. But if you do wanna check it out again, here's a little list of recommendations

Already mentioned 6-27-85, 6-28-85 and 6-30-85.

Also very good is 3-28-85 set I opens with Truckin>Smokestack and closes with China>Rider, well played, too.

The first sets of 4-7-85 and 4-8-85 Philly are inventive and played at a speedy energetic clip. Short but really good, IMO. For some reason there were a lot of really good first sets in '85 and then things often lagged at some point in the second set.

The Greek Theater run in June was pretty dang good, although kinda ramshackle at times.

The Hey Jude bust out at Red Rocks was also a cool moment in another good show.

11-1-85 is another good one especially the set II

Probably many more highlights, but these are the ones I came up with off the top of my head.

Bob Weir-"Okay everyone, we got this state of the art studio here so let's play everything at the slowest tempo possible. Also, we must sound like Ratdog. John, please stay as nonexistent as always. And finally, turn Phil all the way down."

Just not a fan of Furthur fan. It's sad, because I think this was the last shot the boys had to pull it together before they get too old.

Not trying to convince ya to like '85, vacant, because it was full of bum notes and bad singing from Jerry. But if you do wanna check it out again, here's a little list of recommendations

Already mentioned 6-27-85, 6-28-85 and 6-30-85.

Also very good is 3-28-85 set I opens with Truckin>Smokestack and closes with China>Rider, well played, too.

The first sets of 4-7-85 and 4-8-85 Philly are inventive and played at a speedy energetic clip. Short but really good, IMO. For some reason there were a lot of really good first sets in '85 and then things often lagged at some point in the second set.

The Greek Theater run in June was pretty dang good, although kinda ramshackle at times.

The Hey Jude bust out at Red Rocks was also a cool moment in another good show.

11-1-85 is another good one especially the set II

Probably many more highlights, but these are the ones I came up with off the top of my head.

thank you so much for the recommendations!! i have a few tape fillers from 85 first sets. so your theory holds up. Of course, another gem is the only She Belongs to Me. transcendent.

Bob Weir-"Okay everyone, we got this state of the art studio here so let's play everything at the slowest tempo possible. Also, we must sound like Ratdog. John, please stay as nonexistent as always. And finally, turn Phil all the way down."

:lol

:lol

glad you got he joke. didn't want to ruffle any feathers. i know some folks LOVE Furthur. at this point, i'm not sure what post-dead group is worth going to see. mayber 7Walkers.

The Phil and Friends Quintet (Warren Haynes and Jimmy Herring on dual lead guitars, John Molo on drums and I think Rob Barraco on keys) are playing a few shows again at Terrapin Crosssroads, but tix are like $150, ouch! Out of all the post-Jerry configurations of the remaining Dead, this band was far and away the best, for me. It was complex, intricate and long jams with two lead guitars blazing away. They did some great stuff like Viola Lee Blues and cool covers like Low Spark of High Heeled Boys. And it was kinda like 1973 in that any song might materialize out of any jam and there was A LOT of jamming. Warren did a pretty soulful job on the lead vocals although it was a bit hard to take all of Phil's singing at times.

John is John Kadlecik, the current lead guitar in Furthur. i thought he was very very good playing Jerry in Dark Star Orchestra for many years.

The Phil and Friends Quartet (Warren Haynes and Jimmy Herring on dual lead guitars, John Molo on drums and I think Rob Barraco on keys) are playing a few shows again at Terrapin Crosssroads, but tix are like $150, ouch! Out of all the post-Jerry configurations of the remaining Dead, this band was far and away the best, for me. It was complex, intricate and long jams with two lead guitars blazing away. They did some great stuff like Viola Lee Blues and cool covers like Low Spark of High Heeled Boys. And it was kinda like 1973 in that any song might materialize out of any jam and there was A LOT of jamming. Warren did a pretty soulful job on the lead vocals although it was a bit hard to take all of Phil's singing at times.

John is John Kadlecik, the current lead guitar in Furthur. i thought he was very very good playing Jerry in Dark Star Orchestra for many years.

yeah, PLQ was pretty fun. Herring fits right in and i love his style when mixed with the Dead repertoire.

John was good in DSO. he nailed all the little jerry nuances, but DSO could not jam to saver their lives. so, not only does john not jam/solo he's all hesitant looking over at Bob and Phil all the time.

i thought 98 other ones was good with kimock and hornsby and 99 phil with trey and page but thats about it for me.

yes, 98 other ones was the best it's been since JG died. that first The Dead thing at alpine valley was pretty good too. but all these incarnations have been under-rehearsed and lacking in...JERRY.

my dream would be to see all surviving members with hornsby on keys and Kimock on lead. hornsby would sing all of jerry's tunes and bob would sing his. it just never worked with a JG sound alike. it's gotta be guitarist with their own style and sound that fits in...not just filling space.

wilco is worth seeing...

:headbonk