http://archive.org/details/gd93-05-26.sbd.miller.27776.sbeok.flacf

Listening to May 26, 1993 this afternoon - Vince plays really well throughout and Weir sings great. Great playing all around, especially the Playin'.

The reviewer in the Taper's book wrote that people consider this was the last great Grateful Dead show.

I never gotten around to purchase the Road Trips from this show. Below are Blair's liner notes.

http://www.gdreferencesite.com/rt24.html

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This past Saturday night, we were doing our usual thing, getting in a good mood and cranking up some rock 'n roll, typically from the 1970s, really loud on the stereo or DVD player. Now my wife is not a Deadhead and I haven't played much Dead around the house since we've been together (until the past several months I've been on a years-long Dead hiatus). But since I've been getting excited about the Dead again for the first time in long time, I've been thinking about how to break the ice with her, so to speak. So I started out with a jammy '73 Here Comes Sunshine and then a rocking Big River from the same show. She dug it, saying she'd never heard the Dead play so well, her being used to the off key vocals and bum notes from 1980s and later Dead that she'd heard me very rarely play. So I went for another tape, thinking she'd dig a good China>Rider. Popped in Portland from 1974 as one of the best versions of that combo ever (at least one of the best transitions between the two) and we were both digging it, noting how much fantastic rock there was in the early 70s, so much so that even the Grateful Dead from those years sounds impressive to a non-Head. It took me quite a few moments, but after awhile I realized I had put in 5-19-74 on 5-19-2012 without any pre-conceived awareness of the anniversary, a stoned synchronicity of the kind that most Heads don't blink an eye for anymore, but one that made me laugh! :w00t

http://archive.org/d...776.sbeok.flacf

Listening to May 26, 1993 this afternoon - Vince plays really well throughout and Weir sings great. Great playing all around, especially the Playin'.

The reviewer in the Taper's book wrote that people consider this was the last great Grateful Dead show.

I never gotten around to purchase the Road Trips from this show. Below are Blair's liner notes.

http://www.gdreferen...e.com/rt24.html

I listened to that Playin' this weekend. Yep, it rips! Beatifully chaotic noise rock, an exceptional version indeed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9FTQkPuJK8&feature=player_embedded

An interview done 10 days after Jerry's "comeback" gig at The Stone after his coma in 1986. This was Jerry's first interview after the coma...This was done upstairs at the Grateful Dead Ticket Sales office in front of "The Wall" of envelopes...at the end of the interview, Jerry makes some comments on the envelopes...Check out the "wall of envelopes."

If you print all the articles from that blog - it comes out to over 700 pages.

Two shows I am listening to this evening:

Grateful Dead Live at The Eureka Municipal Auditorium on 1968-01-20

Grateful Dead Live at Fox Theatre on 1972-10-18

thanks so much for posting that video interview. loved the part where garcia is talking about how he had to teach dylan his own songs. also, his explanation about not bringing back old tunes made a lot of sense. what is it about hearing jerry play? nothing like it...love it!

The shows from England (May 1972) are being streamed over at Dead.net.

The Stranger (Two Souls In Communion) is a heavy song indeed.

The Playing In The Band from May 23rd has great playing from Jerry.

Winterland - thanks for posting the video - fun to hear Gans and watch Garcia reaction to him during the Hear Comes Sunshine bit.

I heard this interview before but never saw it.

Winterland - thanks for posting the video - fun to hear Gans and watch Garcia reaction to him during the Hear Comes Sunshine bit.

I heard this interview before but never saw it.

Ya- great stuff...damn heroin....would've been nice to see jerry age and start doing more and more solo shows...oh well - a lot of things would've been nice...

In honor of memorial day...

20-years-300x274.jpg

Have you guys visited this site for the best versions played? I think its really good and would be better the more knowledgeable listeners vote and make suggestions.

www.headyversion.com

He's Gone from the 5/26/72 Lyceum show is fantastic! Nothing can beat the official Europe '72 version (from Amsterdam) but this version comes mighty close. This has always been one of my favorite songs but most of the live versions leave a little to be desired. Hope these Lyceum shows stream on dead.net just a little longer...

http://viachicago.or...e-grateful-dead

I did a search on Tangled up in Blue for some reason or other this afternoon and the above thread popped up - it's been a fun read thus far. Is this the Dead thread that "the Man" locked, thus creating the 1st Grateful Dead link at the beginning of this thread? There are some great lists of best shows in the thread --- I always enjoy reading those...

If you go to the first page of this thread, you will find links to all the GD threads. The threads get locked once they hit 1,000 posts.

I have not grabbed the show yet, but Bob, Chris Robinson, and Jackie did an acoustic version of Dark Star the other day.

There's a new post up at the Grateful Dead Guide blog. It's about Led Zeppelin and The Who. I sort of skimmed through it.

• 2 weeks later...

just listened to 5.7.1972 - Bickershaw...I remembered it being better...last half of first set was amazing / first half average. The Star was ok - a bit drifty (highlight was the 2 minute jam beginning at 7:40). the Other One had some great moments but also was a bit drifty. Sing me back home was amazing. Lovelight was a bit poppy but Jerry was on fire throughout.

Eyes of The World 2-15-73 Madison, WI. So bright and fast and just jubilant playing from Garcia and Keith. This is still a candidate for my favorite one ever. Here Comes Sunshine from this show is also a standout version to my ears, Garcia is precise and smooth as he flies through speedy flurries of notes, a rare feat for him. Two really fantastic Garcia solos in this one, yeah!

I'm not that much of a '78 Dead fan, but this one sounded fan-freaking-tastic last night.

4-24-1978 http://archive.org/details/gd1978-04-24.sbd.miller.32899.flac16

Its pretty ripping, engaged and high-energy show all the way through from the Promised Land opener to the Around and Around (except for the very rough but charming Werewolves of London encore) but notable highlights are excellent versions of Music Never Stopped, Scarlet>Fire and Black Peter. Donna is sounding really restrained and on-key all night long, a major relief for those who can't tolerate her off-key caterwauling. This show proves she could be a good singer, not sure why there are so few shows where she pulled it off.

Grateful Dead drummer has book deal

http://music.yahoo.c...-140934928.html

NEW YORK (AP) — Founding Grateful Dead member Bill Kreutzmann has a long, strange story to tell.

The drummer is working on a memoir scheduled to be published in 2015 by St. Martin's Press, the publisher announced Wednesday. The book, currently untitled, will include reflections on his "deep bond" with the late Jerry Garcia and memories of Bob Dylan, the Rolling Stones and the Allman Brothers.

Kreutzmann, who turned 66 this week, helped form the Dead in the mid-1960s along with Garcia, Phil Lesh, Bob Weir and Ron "Pigpen" McKiernan. Since Garcia's death in 1995, Kreutzmann has been touring with his own bands and playing with a wide variety of musicians, from Phish and Journey guitarist Neal Schon to Lesh and other former members of the Dead.

Just came across this bit of news - hopefully it is better than Phil's. Billy always seemed to bit of a brute, especially in his younger days - could translate into a good book.

Now watching View from the Vault II June 14, 1991 - nice show (plus it put my kids to sleep after the first song - which makes for a very peaceful afternoon)

I don't know crap about dyslexia, but perhaps Weir still is hindered from it a bit, thus writing a book may be a bit of challenge. Plus, he always forgets the words of songs, can't imagine him dealing with a book . :lol (but of course you're right, eventually he will probably put one out)

Although there are exceptions - most of the time those guys don't really write their books anyhow.

Mickey doesn't have one, does he?

He has a few books out about drums and percussion instruments - I don't think he ever put out an straight forward auto-bio, though. I haven't read any of them.