A lot of people feel that Kimock IS a JG sound alike. I think he can be great but tends to be too mellow or takes too long to get fired up, a least that was how I felt all the years I saw him with Zero. When he gets going, his tone and feel are amazing to me. He's a lot like the Dead, can't be forced to fire on all cylinders, but when he does, look out! Haynes and Herring, IMO, sound less like JG than Kimock.

Hornsby on keys would be my dream, too. I'd have no problem with the dream line up you mentioned, Vacant, unless Kimock was playing too mellow. Maybe if you added in Haynes or Herring with Kimock? Where would we be without wishful thinking? ;)

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of people feel that Kimock IS a JG sound alike. I think he can be great but tends to be too mellow or takes too long to get fired up, a least that was how I felt all the years I saw him with Zero. When he gets going, his tone and feel are amazing to me. He's a lot like the Dead, can't be forced to fire on all cylinders, but when he does, look out! Haynes and Herring, IMO, sound less like JG than Kimock.

Hornsby on keys would be my dream, too. I'd have no problem with the dream line up you mentioned, Vacant, unless Kimock was playing too mellow. Maybe if you added in Haynes or Herring with Kimock? Where would we be without wishful thinking? ;)

good point. i guess i just prefer kimock noodling around. herring and kimock would be awesome. mark karan is not bad either, but again, he never plays solos. oh well. wishful thinking it is. i remember rumors that the band was going to continue and possible replacements for jerry were david hidalgo from los lobos and santana. now david hidalgo would have been interesting. the can jam.

The Phil and Friends Quartet (Warren Haynes and Jimmy Herring on dual lead guitars, John Molo on drums and I think Rob Barraco on keys) are playing a few shows again at Terrapin Crosssroads, but tix are like $150, ouch! Out of all the post-Jerry configurations of the remaining Dead, this band was far and away the best, for me. It was complex, intricate and long jams with two lead guitars blazing away. They did some great stuff like Viola Lee Blues and cool covers like Low Spark of High Heeled Boys. And it was kinda like 1973 in that any song might materialize out of any jam and there was A LOT of jamming. Warren did a pretty soulful job on the lead vocals although it was a bit hard to take all of Phil's singing at times.

John is John Kadlecik, the current lead guitar in Furthur. i thought he was very very good playing Jerry in Dark Star Orchestra for many years.

I agree with all of this.

trey sings jerry better than anyone really but hornsby is a close second

I disagree. I don't like how Trey does GD tunes, really. Saw the Jerry tribute Comes a Time at the Greek a few years ago and was more impressed with some of the other takes on GD tunes moreso than Trey doing Bertha. Stu Allen sings/plays JG tunes really well, imo.

Love the Quintent, and agree that is overall the most consistently excellent post Jerry Dead group. Only problem I had with them is there jams could be exhausting, and kind of just like the members flexing their muscles and showing off. But great group improv. The songs of the Dead, with the technical precision of Phish, with some Southern soul mixed in. Great combo.

Other Ones/The Dead tended to be mixed, great highs and lows. Though the best post-Jerry show I saw was The Dead w/Warren at the Forum in LA. A rock and psychedelic masterpiece from start to finish. Even Bob stepped up the energy level, particularly toward the end of the show. Friends who saw this show and a show the week before in Chicago couldn't believe the difference, like two different bands.

http://archive.org/d...es-5.9.2009_919

Ratdog sux. One of the few shows I've walked out of. Brick House vocal jam in Shakedown, band members just look lost following Bob, who had no idea where he was going. Slow tempos - wasn't Birdsong already slow enough. Bob should not be a band leader, love him in the Dead.

I do like Trey singing Jerry songs, seen him with Phil a few times and heard a few other recordings.

I disagree. I don't like how Trey does GD tunes, really. Saw the Jerry tribute Comes a Time at the Greek a few years ago and was more impressed with some of the other takes on GD tunes moreso than Trey doing Bertha. Stu Allen sings/plays JG tunes really well, imo.

i just love Hornsby's voice and i think he just feels the Jerry tunes (Loser, Sugaree). too bad he has wasted his talent on whatever he's been doing.

i'll never get the phish grateful dead thing. some of the same fans, but way different bands.

stu allen is great!

have you listened to the 99 shows?? all three shows are good the whole way through. nothing post jerry can even touch it IMO

have you listened to the 99 shows?? all three shows are good the whole way through. nothing post jerry can even touch it IMO

Yeah, a bunch. Trey's playing is excellent and unique (which fits in great with P&Fs basic gist/vibe) but I don't really dig his vocals on GD/JG tunes. I prefer Warren or Robinson or Joan or Stu Allen or Kadlecik over Trey by a long shot.

i liked joan osborne. that tour was fun. not mind blowing. i just remember having a great time. of course that's about 90% of it. however, even hearing a second set opener victim or the crime by the grateful dead live right now would be transcendent :)

Yeah, a bunch. Trey's playing is excellent and unique (which fits in great with P&Fs basic gist/vibe) but I don't really dig his vocals on GD/JG tunes. I prefer Warren or Robinson or Joan or Stu Allen or Kadlicek over Trey by a long shot.

Have you heard Kadlcek sing? His vocals are worse than Phil's. Really makes it unlistanable, IMO.

Dig Stu Allen, only seen him once with Melvin Seals/JGB. Great band, great music, fun time. I took a very anti-Grateful Dead friend to that show, and even he dug it. Just like seeing a bar band rip classic Beatles, Dylan, Motown covers.

Have you heard Kadlcek sing? His vocals are worse than Phil's. Really makes it unlistanable, IMO.

Heck yeah, tons of times. His voice reminds me a lot of high-pitched/whiny Garcia voice. I have no beef with it. Endearing, in fact.

Heck yeah, tons of times. His voice reminds me a lot of high-pitched/whiny Garcia voice. I have no beef with it. Endearing, in fact.

To each their own. Though one vocalist we can all probably agree on is Donna, or as my 3 yo daughter put it "Daddy, why is that lady screaming?"

We could really start a shit storm if we get a discussion going regarding feelings about Brent...

BIG Brent fan here, too.....The band breathed new life with the man. I used to love when Garcia would turn his back to the rest of the band, face Brent, and they'd both be beaming smiling at eachother as they were jammin'......

I agree on the Donna wasn't that bad sentiment. A Playing in the Band is not complete without her yells. Never cared much for what she did in Scarlet Begonias though.

You guys are spot on about Brent. His energy and enthusiasm really helped carry the band. I have yet to listen to any post-July '90 shows as a result. Just can't imagine the band around this time without him.

I can't say I am much of a fan of Donna's vocals. My understanding is that she could not really hear herself on stage. At least, that is what I have always read. And I don't really know much about post 74 shows to know much about Brent. I think I have a Dick's Picks that he is on (Volume 5).

Though one vocalist we can all probably agree on is Donna, or as my 3 yo daughter put it "Daddy, why is that lady screaming?"

Too F."#@ing funny.

Love Brent's energy, his Hammond, and how much Jerry got a kick out of him. But his vocals and angry personality were always a turn off for me, and his original tunes were dreadful for the most part, and just didn't fit into the Grateful Dead catalog and vibe. Other than Dear Mr. Fantasy>Hey Jude, not much I can listen too. Easy to Love you is ok, Blow Away, not much else. His backing vocal growl was also a bit overwhelming and didn't fit the songs.

The post-Brent shows with Hornsby were really phenomenal. The last peak of their career, and the best stuff since the Keith and Donna era. Hornsby really pushed Jerry out of his comfort zone and energized him. I liked Vince ok, but too bad Bruce didn't stick around.

Never took/saw Brent as angry, but shy. Really liked what he brought to the band: musically and vocally. Blow Away, Far From Me, Easy to Love You, Tons of Steel, We Can Run, Maybe You Know How I Feel, Never Trust a Woman, etc. all tunes I feel the GD really grew into and liked playing.....Also really appreciated his backround/harmonizing vocals. Thought he was a great fit for the band and really helped push them in a new direction. Through the eye of the beholder and all, of course.

Love Brent's energy, his Hammond, and how much Jerry got a kick out of him. But his vocals and angry personality were always a turn off for me, and his original tunes were dreadful for the most part, and just didn't fit into the Grateful Dead catalog and vibe. Other than Dear Mr. Fantasy>Hey Jude, not much I can listen too. Easy to Love you is ok, Blow Away, not much else. His backing vocal growl was also a bit overwhelming and didn't fit the songs.

The post-Brent shows with Hornsby were really phenomenal. The last peak of their career, and the best stuff since the Keith and Donna era. Hornsby really pushed Jerry out of his comfort zone and energized him. I liked Vince ok, but too bad Bruce didn't stick around.

interesting points. i LOVE brent tunes! (except I WIll Take You Home). nothing better than a first set with a nice brent tune thrown in. add a phil tune and it's perfect. i did love brent's organ and at the end he had a good piano sound. the tiny rhodes sound he had in the mid 80s was tough to take. unfortunately, vine's organ sound was too digital. his piano playing was okay. i liked his songs too, but would have much rather heard them in the first set. he was what he was for that era of the dead. nothing really classic, but some gems, as i've said before. would've been fun to have a final studio album with tight takes on the new material then, including phil's tunes and vince's. i remember everyone really liking vince.

Never took/saw Brent as angry, but shy. Really liked what he brought to the band: musically and vocally. Blow Away, Far From Me, Easy to Love You, Tons of Steel, We Can Run, Maybe You Know How I Feel, Never Trust a Woman, etc. all tunes I feel the GD really grew into and liked playing.....Also really appreciated his backround/harmonizing vocals. Thought he was a great fit for the band and really helped push them in a new direction. Through the eye of the beholder and all, of course.

Maybe You Know How I Feel...i don't know that tune.

I agree on the Donna wasn't that bad sentiment. A Playing in the Band is not complete without her yells. Never cared much for what she did in Scarlet Begonias though.

You guys are spot on about Brent. His energy and enthusiasm really helped carry the band. I have yet to listen to any post-July '90 shows as a result. Just can't imagine the band around this time without him.

You should really give a listen to some Hornsby shows, particularly MSG September '90 or Boston Garden September '91. Hornsby's playing on the baby grand was fantastic (check out the second set of 9-20-90 for example), and Garcia was so obviously in love with having him on stage.

i remember everyone really liking vince.

I don't know anyone who liked Vince, his playing or his songs. With the exception that he may have been the one to bring Baba O'Reilly and Tomorrow Never Knows into the setlists.

You should really give a listen to some Hornsby shows, particularly MSG September '90 or Boston Garden September '91. Hornsby's playing on the baby grand was fantastic (check out the second set of 9-20-90 for example), and Garcia was so obviously in love with having him on stage.

I don't know anyone who liked Vince, his playing or his songs. With the exception that he may have been the one to bring Baba O'Reilly and Tomorrow Never Knows into the setlists.

my sense is that the heads were always gracious and accepted vince. damn, there were always cheers for his tunes.