Dude, not to be harsh, but it must suck to be in a Dead cover band with a bunch of guys who aren't into the Dead. Your keyboard player appears to not get it. I'm sure its not easy to find band members, though.

Next week I'm going to see Melvin Seals and JGB, whom I've never seen (post-Jerry, of course). Stu Allen is gone and they have a dude from AZ Dead cover band Xtra Ticket on lead guitar, who I've also never heard. I just hope its decent. I really am going to get a hit of that Oakland gospel soul from Melvin, Gloria and Jackie.

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude, not to be harsh, but it must suck to be in a Dead cover band with a bunch of guys who aren't into the Dead. Your keyboard player appears to not get it. I'm sure its not easy to find band members, though.

Next week I'm going to see Melvin Seals and JGB, whom I've never seen (post-Jerry, of course). Stu Allen is gone and they have a dude from AZ Dead cover band Xtra Ticket on lead guitar, who I've also never heard. I just hope its decent. I really am going to get a hit of that Oakland gospel soul from Melvin, Gloria and Jackie.

i'm jealous! even if the guitar player isn't up to par, melvin rocks! have a good time.

not being harsh at all about my little band. we initially pulled it together with other members, but we got more gigs, so new members came in (not from me). yeah, the keys guy doesn't get it. i'm a really mellow guy, but playing music with people that don't get it is infuriating! let the good times roll.

i passed this year. after having not seen any dead-related bands for a while i went to Furthur last year. it was so boring and they played the entire Terrapin! every song is so slow and the band really hasn't found their groove that comes with playing years together. arrangements are touch and go and John is way over his head. he is so timid and really can't jam. he didn't jam in DSO either. if they brought in stu allen or a mellow player that had his own sound and actually ripped solos at the right spot, the i'd go. i really wish bob and phil would get hornsby, billy and stu allen on board and chose 20 songs to learn inside and out, then jam from there. i'd go see several shows even if they played eyes, scarlet fire, china rider and help/slip/frank every night!

I thought John sounded and played okay - I only saw him once with DSO and that was in 98 or 99. I thought the DSO show was boring and left at set-break. But at the Furthur show I thought he played some inspiring stuff (esp. on Dew). I probably won't be seeing them again any time soon (this past week's show was my first Furthur show), but it was a fun night to hang out with some friends. Plus it was the first time since the Terrapin Station weekend at Alpine in 02, that I felt I was at a Grateful Dead show. The whole scene was pretty fun.

I thought John sounded and played okay - I only saw him once with DSO and that was in 98 or 99. I thought the DSO show was boring and left at set-break. But at the Furthur show I thought he played some inspiring stuff (esp. on Dew). I probably won't be seeing them again any time soon (this past week's show was my first Furthur show), but it was a fun night to hang out with some friends. Plus it was the first time since the Terrapin Station weekend at Alpine in 02, that I felt I was at a Grateful Dead show. The whole scene was pretty fun.

i remember listening to the webcast of those alpine shows. aside from the other ones, those were very much like dead shows. there was a lot of buzz.

i think i'd have to be in just the right move to see furthur and not go because i felt like i had too. damn, i've been seeing these bands for 20 years thinking..'oh i better go b/c phil's getting old'. :) glad you enjoyed furthur buddy.

JGB plays out here a lot and I usually go to see them when I can. Caught them July 3/4 and the guitar guy (while no Stu Allen) is decent enough to fit in. Melvin's lost a little weight, too!

Good to hear, lammycat, thanks! I'll report back. Xtra Ticket is opening, so it'll be Dead tunes first and then Garcia Band, nice! I'm actually pretty excited about this. Too bad Stu Allen's not in it, by all reports he's really good.

Caught Melvin Seals and JGB last night and I had an enjoyable evening that took me right back to all those nights I spent listening to this band at the shabby Warfield Theater in SF. Melvin and the girls sounded exactly like they used to (although I'm not totally sure it was Jackie and Gloria up there. They looked, obviously, much older than they used to, but they looked different in other ways. And they don't list the singers on the website, which is weird, because they are such an integral part of the sound. Maybe they have a rotating cast of girl singers?

The vocals were really good. The new "Jerry" is Dave Hebert or A'Bear as he's known. His voice reminded me of a cross between Bruce Hornsby and Rick Danko. He wasn't trying to sound like Jerry, but his vocals were good and they blended well with the girls. The rhythm section was solid and while they didn't really stand out, they did what they are supposed to do and did it well. Melvin doesn't look a day older than he did back then and it was wonderful to see his big meaty hands pawing the keys of his Hammond (with 2 Leslie speakers as well) making that killer soulful keyboard sound that I love so much. Lots of smiles coming from him and the girls, too. They love what they are doing, its clear.

I don't want to be overly critical, because the vibes were so good, but I've gotta say the only really weak spot in the band was the tepid lead guitar. It just was too tame and lacked drive, to my ears. He's got "laid-back Jerry" down perfectly, but he never did let loose with any solos I'd call ripping. At some points as he fumbled for ideas or hit a few bum notes I laughingly thought to myself he sounds a lot like '90s Jerry.

But when they played Mississippi Moon with sweet vocals and a nice long Melvin solo, I was in heaven, just like being in a true church again, because that's what it felt like seeing the JGB band. They rocked the hell out of Everybody Needs Somebody To Love (some folks thought they were about to play Scarlet Begonias, it sounded really close before the singing started up) and finished with a boisterous My Sisters and Brothers that had the place testifyin'.

So yeah it was a very nostalgic evening for me, but it made me remember how goddamned lucky I am to have been in the right place at the right time to see Jerry play so many times. I was truly blessed, that music made me feel so good. For all his character flaws and foibles, Jerry made up for it 1000 times over for all the light he shined into the world with his great spirit. God bless ya Jerry!

Shug, if this were Facebook, I would just click "Like" and move on. :lol But since it's VC, I will post an actual response.

Thanks for the review, and for the details about Melvin & Co.... I must admit, having seen the Dead a handful of times in the 80s, and once in '91, along with one JGB show in '89, I have never seriously contemplated going to a JGB show since Jerry's passing, but your post has made me reconsider. I would love to see a good band - any band - do a respectable job on Mississippi Moon or My Sisters and Brothers. I have been to some Ratdog shows (that's a whole other thing, but it is what it is), but no other similar gigs. Anyway, thanks again.

Yer welcome, glad sharing my thoughts made a difference!

I later learned its definitely not the original ladies singing back up, but they were just fine. And the whole thing was well worth it to hear Melvin play keys. this band tours a lot so you should get a chance to see them sometime down the road.

i appreciate the review as well. i absolutely loved jerry band shows. they were always so mellow and it was all serious heads. not to mention jerry just wailed! after my first jgb show i wondered if weir was holding garcia back. it's sad the he had to keep up with the dead. it seems he would've been much happier doing stuff with grisman and doing some long jerry show runs. btw, that jerry band live cd from 91 is incredible.

Yeah, that 91 live JGB double CD is really excellent. I think highlights are The Night They Drove Dixie Down, Lucky Old Sun, Don't Let Go, I Shall Be Released and Dear Prudence. The live album How Sweet It Is has some great performances, too.

Last night I watched Downhill From Here (Alpine Valley 1989) and I was pretty impressed. They started off strong, but things really kicked in by Cumberland Blues and the rest of the show is pretty much on fire. The West LA Fadeaway has got to be one of the best ones ever. Totally smoking Jerry solo on Deal, too. All Over Now shows exactly why Brent is my fave keyboardist the Dead had, he's ruling it on Hammond. Even Desolation Row ends with an excellent Garcia solo, making it a special version. Second set has a strong Playin' In The Band and even though the transitions are kinda abrupt, they do pull off a very strong jam in Uncle John's Band. Pretty good GDTRFB and NFA, too.

Its funny, I've read great things about this show, listened to audio and didn't really hear anything all that special. But when I watched the DVD and see Jerry smiling, engaged with the rest of the band and swaying and rocking out, especially connecting with Brent, it makes me hear the music in a new light. I totally get it, this has got to be one of the best shows of 1989 (although the DVD is actually a blend of two nights from the same run). They used to say 'when Phil's on, the band is on" which is true, but for the Dead to really cook, it was essential that Jerry be in a good space, engaged and playing well. This was one his better nights in the late 80s, I'd say.

I happen to be watching the 7/19/89 Alpine boot now. Agree with the West LA Fadeaway --- great, great version. That JGB 91 release is indeed great - never gotten around to see JGB back in the day, which is a shame.

Yeah, that 91 live JGB double CD is really excellent. I think highlights are The Night They Drove Dixie Down, Lucky Old Sun, Don't Let Go, I Shall Be Released and Dear Prudence. The live album How Sweet It Is has some great performances, too.

Last night I watched Downhill From Here (Alpine Valley 1989) and I was pretty impressed. They started off strong, but things really kicked in by Cumberland Blues and the rest of the show is pretty much on fire. The West LA Fadeaway has got to be one of the best ones ever. Totally smoking Jerry solo on Deal, too. All Over Now shows exactly why Brent is my fave keyboardist the Dead had, he's ruling it on Hammond. Even Desolation Row ends with an excellent Garcia solo, making it a special version. Second set has a strong Playin' In The Band and even though the transitions are kinda abrupt, they do pull off a very strong jam in Uncle John's Band. Pretty good GDTRFB and NFA, too.

Its funny, I've read great things about this show, listened to audio and didn't really hear anything all that special. But when I watched the DVD and see Jerry smiling, engaged with the rest of the band and swaying and rocking out, especially connecting with Brent, it makes me hear the music in a new light. I totally get it, this has got to be one of the best shows of 1989 (although the DVD is actually a blend of two nights from the same run). They used to say 'when Phil's on, the band is on" which is true, but for the Dead to really cook, it was essential that Jerry be in a good space, engaged and playing well. This was one his better nights in the late 80s, I'd say.

was phil ever not on? :-)

yeah, that alpine 89 video is so so good. that all over now is like 10min long! i love it. it is cool to see the band just having fun. i always loved hearing west LA.

btw, don't let go!! yes that version on the jerry live disc is amazing. that whole set is just pure jerry. speaking of which, anyone get those pure jerry shows when they were coming out? last thing i got was that 1980 show, after midnight. the show is okay, but the piano dude is a bit much with his synth's and stuff. how sweet it is a bit rough as far as i'm concerned. love tough mama though.

as far as

I have a few of the Pure Jerry releases: Vol. # 4, 6 & 9, and then one from July 29 & 30, 1977, whatever # that is. :lol

Looks like the one I connected with most is #9, which is labeled "San Francisco Bay Area, 1978." I kept versions on my iPod of Mystery Train, Catfish John, Second that Emotion, Mission in the Rain, Lonesome and a Long Way from Home....almost the whole thing. It's got Donna on it, and she is in good pretty good voice.

I happen to be watching the 7/19/89 Alpine boot now. Agree with the West LA Fadeaway --- great, great version. That JGB 91 release is indeed great - never gotten around to see JGB back in the day, which is a shame.

I've never seen that......not sure why. I know we had a blast on that run at Alpine. Pretty damn rainy but the shows were on fire!

I have a few of the Pure Jerry releases: Vol. # 4, 6 & 9, and then one from July 29 & 30, 1977, whatever # that is. :lol

Looks like the one I connected with most is #9, which is labeled "San Francisco Bay Area, 1978." I kept versions on my iPod of Mystery Train, Catfish John, Second that Emotion, Mission in the Rain, Lonesome and a Long Way from Home....almost the whole thing. It's got Donna on it, and she is in good pretty good voice.

yes, i've heard that one too. pretty good. one that wasn't was that shining star release several years ago. not too good. i wish the jerry estate would get their shit together and release more stuff like the dead do.

This looks pretty cool:

Brace yourselves for August 3rd because Bob and TRI Studios are bringing out the big names for an unforgettable evening in honor of Jerry. The “Move Me Brightly: Celebrating Jerry Garcia's 70th Birthday” tribute concert and high-definition live stream kicks off TRIStudios.com at 6:30 PM PST with live performances from Bob, Mike Gordon of Phish, Craig Finn and Tad Kubler of The Hold Steady, Chris Tomson of Vampire Weekend, Donna Jean Godchaux, bluegrass artist Jim Lauderdale, Sam Cohen and Josh Kaufman of the Yellowbirds, Joe Russo of Furthur, Neal Casal of Chris Robinson Brotherhood/Ryan Adams & The Cardinals, Jeff Chimenti (Furthur), Cass McCombs, Jonathan Wilson, and Harper Simon. The broadcast also will include rare Grateful Dead concert footage and video tributes given by Garcia's peers, including Mickey Hart, David Hidalgo of Los Lobos, Bill Kreutzmann, Carlos Santana, Dave Schools, Keller Williams, 7 Walkers with Bobby Keys and others. David Crosby's moving tribute, “'Cause I'm Missing Him Tonight,” penned specifically for the occasion, will be read during the show. Luke Wilson (The Royal Tenenbaums, Old School, Anchorman) will take a moment away from his day job to emcee the event and special guest Bill Walton also will pay tribute to Garcia. Learn more about this spectacular event here.

Gotta include Tangled Up in Blue as one of the highlights, but every track kills. There's a great Dylan quote from the past ten years, where he says when he wants to relearn a song, he'd listen to the Garcia/Dead version to figure out how to do it. Senor too. Only Garcia understood how psychedelic that song is.

This looks pretty cool:

Regarding the TRI show, Justin Kreutzmann was on the XM Tales show this past weekend discussing the show - looking forward to.

I am interested to hear what Bobby Keys has to say.

http://dead.net/spring1990

The next box set installment.

And now for something a little different. This year's box set - Grateful Dead: Spring 1990 - offers six complete shows from the epic spring '90 tour, one concert from each city the band played, personally selected by Dead vaultmeister and archival release producer David Lemieux. The sizzling six are: 3/16/90 Capital Centre (Landover , MD), 3/19/90 Hartford Civic Center, 3/22/90 Copps Coliseum (Hamilton, Ontario), 3/26/90 Knickerbocker Arena (Albany, NY), 3/30/90 Nassau Coliseum (Uniondale, NY) and 4/2/90 The Omni (Atlanta, GA).

Tonight is a special Jerry Garcia's birthday party at the SF Giants game. For those folks who bought tickets to sit in the special GD section tonight, they'll also receive this:

jerry_promo_lg.jpg

My sisters will be at the game, but not in that section. :)

Regarding the TRI show, Justin Kreutzmann was on the XM Tales show this past weekend discussing the show - looking forward to.

I am interested to hear what Bobby Keys has to say.

Bobby Keys is still alive?! For some reason I thought he checked out in the 90s.