***SLEEPER SHOW ALERT**** overlooked but highly recommended...best show of 1989 New Years run...in my opinion...

Band/Artist: Grateful Dead

Date: December 27, 1989 (check for other copies)

Venue: Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Arena

Source: SBD -> Dat -> Cassette Master (TDK MA-XG90)

http://archive.org/details/gd1989-12-27.sbd.walker-scotton-miller.88397.sbeok.flac16

Set 1

Cold Rain And Snow

Greatest Story Ever Told

Never Trust A Woman

Althea

Me And My Uncle ->

Big River

Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues % Bird Song

The Promised Land

Set 2

Iko Iko

Playing In The Band ->

Crazy Fingers ->

Uncle John's Band ->

Drums ->

Space ->

The Wheel ->

I Need A Miracle ->

Morning Dew

Encore

Johnny B. Goode

Black Muddy River

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^^^^^^^^^^HOLY MOTHER OF GODD!!!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I was just coming in here to discuss this show!! I was 18 first time on the west coast and high as gas.

That Iko Iko by itself was close to the most energy ive seen at any show. This was the first and by far the best of the 4 night run and it was just perfect. What a night!!

^^^^^^^^^^^^HOLY MOTHER OF GODD!!!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I was just coming in here to discuss this show!! I was 18 first time on the west coast and high as gas.

That Iko Iko by itself was close to the most energy ive seen at any show. This was the first and by far the best of the 4 night run and it was just perfect. What a night!!

My favorite thread

I probably will get the McGee's e-book - it is bit funny about the whole e-book debate. I prefer books - but an e-book is not the end of the world. Then again my wife has a tablet, so it's no big deal for me to get the e-book.

I have a Nook and I rather like it. I don't really buy e-books though, I get them from the library.

Something like the Rosie book, I would probably want in a physical format. It would be nice to see all those photos on paper. I figure she did it this way due to costs.

8.28.1981 Shakedown drowning in dewars...

so...dewars and 8.28.1981 Shakedown Street...a very nice mix indeed...I've always loved the 8.28.1981 show - and in particular the shakedown. For me, to judge a version of a song depends usually on the jam. The "song" portion of this shakedown is solid enough, but the jam is where jerry takes this to a highly exceptional level. Quickly the jam is launched from careful walking to a proud and arrogant strut, that leads into a series of high note angles. The intensity grows around this and soon the band is swimming in intensity and tension. Jerry wanders from the apex and starts anew with a cascade downward with the band chasing after him...those are the best jams...eventually they catch him and jerry rewards with one of the most amazing shakedown apexes i've heard...it starts with a little series of notes from brent and ends with jerry following and exploding into a massive apex with very piercing jerry notes. ahh...the band reaches this apex, concludes it, and nonchalantly wanders back to the ending of song, but i'm not fooled...They must have been very aware of the amazing version they just experienced...and they must have been aware of all the deadheads who would gleefully enjoy dewars while listening 21 years later...

and so it reminds of why certain versions of songs are much better than others - for me anyways - it usually has nothing to do with the song...but rather has to do with the jerry led jam (was it exceptional / average / or below average or dazzling...)...

oh and the ensuing lost sailor saint wheel blues jam (that may be highlight of who) into never trust... is also amazing...

1981+jerry+look.jpg (a 1981 photo from march i believe - not the 8.28.1981 show)

http://archive.org/details/gd1981-08-28.mtx.painoman.92893.sbeok.flac16

^ That Shakedown really is epic. The whole show is right on, too. The China->Rider is excellent to close the first set, as well. I loved the early days of Brent, too, all over tunes like Shakedown. Pleasant change from how Keith was often merely just mimicking Garcia's notes/patterns in tunes like Shakedown towards his last year in the band....

anyone else attend the June 1990 shoreline shows? used to think with certainty that the 16th was the best show...but now think it was the 15th...

I skipped Shoreline in June 1990 to see Cal Expo instead. Cal Expo got some really good shows for years, better than Shoreline, IMO, but this is the run where I made the wrong call, should've gone to Shoreline instead.

Listening to 11/1/79 now and think it may be one of the finest shows I have ever heard. No words can describe the Scarlet> Fire. http://archive.org/d...63.sbeok.flac16

"Brent's Funky Scarlet"!! Might be the longest ever, as well. Clocks in at over 35 minutes.

I LOVE Fall '79.

8.28.1981 Shakedown drowning in dewars...

so...dewars and 8.28.1981 Shakedown Street...a very nice mix indeed...I've always loved the 8.28.1981 show - and in particular the shakedown. For me, to judge a version of a song depends usually on the jam. The "song" portion of this shakedown is solid enough, but the jam is where jerry takes this to a highly exceptional level. Quickly the jam is launched from careful walking to a proud and arrogant strut, that leads into a series of high note angles. The intensity grows around this and soon the band is swimming in intensity and tension. Jerry wanders from the apex and starts anew with a cascade downward with the band chasing after him...those are the best jams...eventually they catch him and jerry rewards with one of the most amazing shakedown apexes i've heard...it starts with a little series of notes from brent and ends with jerry following and exploding into a massive apex with very piercing jerry notes. ahh...the band reaches this apex, concludes it, and nonchalantly wanders back to the ending of song, but i'm not fooled...They must have been very aware of the amazing version they just experienced...and they must have been aware of all the deadheads who would gleefully enjoy dewars while listening 21 years later...

and so it reminds of why certain versions of songs are much better than others - for me anyways - it usually has nothing to do with the song...but rather has to do with the jerry led jam (was it exceptional / average / or below average or dazzling...)...

oh and the ensuing lost sailor saint wheel blues jam (that may be highlight of who) into never trust... is also amazing...

1981+jerry+look.jpg (a 1981 photo from march i believe - not the 8.28.1981 show)

http://archive.org/d...93.sbeok.flac16

I was at that show. (As well as the night before) Great show! Great Shakedown. I have the tapes of that show in the vault.

Still in all ---favorite Shakedown has gotta be 4/6/82. Jerry and Brent duke it out note for note, Then Jerry hits the afterburners and takes off like a rocket while the rest of the band hangs on in the jet wash. There are great Shakedowns and then there is the Shakedown from 4/6/82.

Re: Fall 79 and Shakedown Street: try New Haven 10-25-79

http://archive.org/d...27.sbefail.shnf

I agree about Fall 79 and the Scarlet>Fire from 11-1-79. I'm not sure the name of that electric keyboard that Brent is going off on, but it sounds SO GREAT!

Thanks for posting that 10/25/79 link. That Eyes is amazing! Jerry and Brent could have jammed on that intro for an hour. I read a review somewhere where someone said Brent's keyboard sounded like a kid's toy. I do not disagree with them but I like it as well.

Just listened to today's Curator's Choice over on the archive. Another great 2nd set from 11/20/73: http://archive.org/details/gd1973-11-20.set2jam.matrix.vernon.83165.flac16

I am not sure I have ever heard a show from 1976.

Dave's Picks Volume 4

We're dipping into that Golden Decade of the '70s one mo’ time as we unveil Dave’s Picks Volume 4: College of William & Mary, 9/24/76. That’s right, rabid collectors — you read that date correctly. We have located the uncirculated soundboard master reels of this highly regarded show and are pleased as (psychedelic) punch to send it your way for your listening and dancing pleasure!

The Grateful Dead had played a pair of fine shows at William & Mary three years earlier (9/11-12/73), and obviously dug the vibe enough to warrant a return during one of their “comeback” tours following their hiatus. The concert at William & Mary Hall was the second show of the Dead’s brief fall East and Midwest swing, and it stands as one of the strongest outings from this period — its best moments up to the level of the following 9/25 and 9/28 shows that made up the superb Dick’s Picks Vol. 20 (released in 2001) and the October 9 and 10 Oakland Stadium shows that became Dick's Picks Vol. 33 (2004).

As always, the original tapes have been lovingly mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman, and the beautifully designed package includes a colorful booklet with photos and a historical essay — in this case by the esteemed curator of the Grateful Dead Archive at UC Santa Cruz, Nicholas Meriwether.

As most of you know by now, subscriptions aside, we have only a few thousand copies of the 3-CD Dave’s Picks Volume 4 for sale individually. Dave's Picks Volume 4 ships November 1st, but you can pre-order it now. Jump on it pronto or you might just forever be filled with that awful feeling of regret...

(Oh, and those of you abroad will be please to hear, we’ve reduced our international shipping fees!)

College of William and Mary Williamsburg, VA 9/24/76

Disc 1

1 Promised Land [4:41]

2 Deal [5:07]

3 Cassidy [4:34]

4 Sugaree [10:25]

5 Looks Like Rain [7:53]

6 Row Jimmy [9:48]

7 Big River [5:33]

8 Tennessee Jed [8:55]

Disc 2

1 Playing In The Band> [11:53]

2 Supplication> [4:55]

3 Playing In The Band [4:43]

4 Might As Well [7:36]

5 Samson and Delilah [7:02]

6 Loser [8:06]

7 New Minglewood Blues [4:30]

Disc 3

1 Help On The Way> [5:06]

2 Slipknot!> [5:07]

3 Drums> [5:36]

4 Slipknot!> [5:28]

5 Franklin's Tower> [8:12]

6 The Music Never Stopped> [5:49]

7 Stella Blue [7:35]

8 Around and Around [6:54]

9 U.S. Blues [5:56]

I am not sure I have ever heard a show from 1976.

Dave's Picks Volume 4

There was a Dick's Picks that was both 9/25 & 9/28, and a Road Trips from June 9 Boston. '76 is criminally underrated imo. I actually dig that year more than much of '77. It still has a little of the feel of '74. The tempos are WAY slow, however.

I'm a tad disappointed in the choice though. WHERE IS '67, '82, OR '84? :realmad Out of the gazillion live releases STILL nothing from those years.And there's some GREAT stuff from both '82 and '84.