I just finished watching that video - It's great that the cache include 69 and 70 shows.

I think I may subscribe this time around - the Dave's Pick 5 seems like a winner. I only purchased 1 of the 4 last time, though. Meant to get DIck's Pick 4, but waited to long - which I guess is no biggie.

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't remember if they said they were not sending out a physical copy of the Almanac, kinda hope they continue to send them out. The web/email format is a bit cumbersome to read.

I don't think they are anymore.

It's funny to read the comments sometimes. Someone in the comments under the video claims those acoustic 1970 shows puts him to sleep. That's nuts.

Which generated quite a bit of discussion in the comments section. To my mind, '72-74 is just one big year, but when forced to pick a single year i usually split the baby and go with '73.

For my money '73 is THE year.

Dave's Picks #5 announced - 11/17/1973.

He also talks about the cache of tapes they recently acquired.

That is one of my faves. The ULTIMATE Playin' triple-decker sammich imho. The transition from Dew back into UJB almost brings tears of joy it's so beautiful.

Yeah, 11-17-73 is such a good show that its gonna make me subscribe to this series, which, in principle, I don't like (buying future releases that I don't even know what they are, it seems like a manipulative way to get people to spend more $). I also don't like that they create a false high demand by artificially limiting the supply. But whatever, the Dead organization is now more like a straight business, profit is what they seem to be concerned about. Bummer, but now thats what it takes to get the music (legally). If I want the show bad enough, I'll play. In this case, I do.

you guys wanna hear something mind blowing try this

Theate1839.jpg

I dont care if you absolutely hate Donna she works great here. Let Me Roll it is one of the best covers ever but the sound and playing on this is as good as it possibly gets. IMO

Disc One

1. "Mystery Train" (Junior Parker, Sam Phillips) — 10:19

2. "Russian Lullaby" (Irving Berlin) — 12:52

3. "That's What Love Will Make You Do" (James Banks, Eddie Marion, Henderson Thigpen) — 11:33

4. "Stir It Up" (Bob Marley) — 12:41

5. "Simple Twist of Fate" (Bob Dylan) — 9:29

6. "The Way You Do the Things You Do" (Smokey Robinson, Bobby Rogers) — 9:51

7. "Catfish John" (Bob McDill, Allen Reynolds) — 11:58

[edit] Disc Two

1. "Friend of the Devil" (John Dawson, Robert Hunter, Jerry Garcia) — 8:54

2. "Don't Let Go" (Jesse Stone) — 27:00

3. "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" (Robbie Robertson) — 9:49

4. "They Love Each Other" (Hunter, Garcia) — 7:22

5. "I Second That Emotion" (Robinson) — 10:27

6. "Let Me Roll It" (Paul McCartney) — 9:15

[edit] Disc Three

1. "The Harder They Come" (Jimmy Cliff) — 12:43

2. "Gomorrah" (Hunter, Garcia) — 6:39

3. "Tore Up Over You" (Hank Ballard) — 9:43

4. "Tangled Up in Blue" (Dylan) — 10:18

5. "My Sisters and Brothers" (Charles Johnson) — 7:44

That was a sweet lineup of JGB, I agree. I love Let Me Roll It, what a great McCartney song. Donna was a good singer, I think most of the problems with staying on pitch in the Dead had to do with not being able to hear herself. I think it was better in JGB than in the Dead.

That is a great Pure Jerry release for sure. Really nice version of Tore Up Over You, and there aren't many good live versions of that one out there, from my experience. I feel the same about Might As Well, although the Dead did a decent job on that in their first show of '76.

Good JGB. I have found that 76-77 JGB has a very stoney sound. They rock but there is something odd about it. The rock as a mellow under tone (stoney). By 1978, JGB picks up a bit. 1979 Reconstruction and 1980 JGB really shakes off the stoney vibe and rocks much harder. Find a good version of After Midnight -> Eleanor Rigby -> After Midnight. Now thats some good stuff!

Good JGB. I have found that 76-77 JGB has a very stoney sound. They rock but there is something odd about it. The rock as a mellow under tone (stoney). By 1978, JGB picks up a bit. 1979 Reconstruction and 1980 JGB really shakes off the stoney vibe and rocks much harder. Find a good version of After Midnight -> Eleanor Rigby -> After Midnight. Now thats some good stuff!

Yeah, that Kean College 2/28/80 show is a fine example of the Midnight>Rigby>Midnight sammich.

Spoiler alert - New Charlie Miller sbd of 19 November 1972 should be seeded today or tomorrow...

That IS a good 'un. The Dark Star has some lengthy passages (especially near the end) where you discover the true meaning of The Phil Zone. He drops some bombs that must've blown out some eardrums, and gets some scary feedback shit that reminds me of 12/2/73.