1980 JGB really shakes off the stoney vibe and rocks much harder.

The first Dead-related show I ever went to was JGB in the summer of 1980 and the Tangled Up In Blue from that night (keyboards and all) remains one of my favorite live songs I've ever seen.

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first Dead-related show I ever went to was JGB in the summer of 1980 and the Tangled Up In Blue from that night (keyboards and all) remains one of my favorite live songs I've ever seen.

Ditto for me JGB Bushnell '82. Ferocious.

Always recall the Richmond '85 shows on 11.1, 11.2 this time of year. Smoking shows on rainy nights. 1985 was a rough year, at times, and Garcia looked pretty bad and his voice was shot often. But, these shows really stick out as gems for that year. I believe one of the nights (Dancin' opener) is a DP.

Always recall the Richmond '85 shows on 11.1, 11.2 this time of year. Smoking shows on rainy nights. 1985 was a rough year, at times, and Garcia looked pretty bad and his voice was shot often. But, these shows really stick out as gems for that year. I believe one of the nights (Dancin' opener) is a DP.

It is a DP. I've always thought '85, although wildly up and down, was a good year. June was pretty strong throughout. November had some real good shows.

Does anyone ever pull out the NYE show (telecast on USA Network)? That was SO much fun - coming home after NYE parties and finishing your night with The Boys.

I love 1985 Dead. Summer tour was ripping good, even though the entire year had those things already mentioned going against it. Hershey Park, Saratoga, Merriweather Post, all prime GD in my book. Good stuff in Spring, too. And yeah, those Richmond shows in the fall were great, as well. (3-28-85 with the Truckin' first set opener and a smoking China-Rider to close the first set, wow!

Holy shi-ite, Batman, this Dark Star is truly epic AND a very strong version, wow! I'd never heard this one before and was blown away last night, awesome!

http://archive.org/d...4452.sbeok.shnf

As far as I know it's the second longest version ever as well (for those of you scoring at home).

Another one that I pulled out this AM, the Watkins Glen "soundcheck" show. Excellent Bird Song, but I'd forgotten how really, really sweet the long, multi-theme jam prior to Wharf Rat is. Prime Grade A Grateful Dead!

http://archive.org/d....180.sbeok.shnf

No doubt! Always a favorite. I don't think I've ever heard their real set. When I think of Watkins Glen, I think of this soundcheck.

Apparently just popped up on YouTube, the Dead in NOLA with Nevilles and the Bangles doing Iko

http://www.glidemagazine.com/hiddentrack/video-the-night-the-grateful-dead-met-the-bangles/

Once again, with all due respect to those that swear by the frost '82 shows, i can do nothing but highly recommend 9.17.1982 second set...in my opinion, easily one of the finest sets ever...pure jerry joy when he screams, "thought i heard, a YOUNG MAN MOAN......TODAY!!!!"

Yeah, Portland, ME. Great stuff. The first set Bertha and Deal are smoking, as well. They were doing Throwing Stones just about every night that fall, trying it in different spots before it settled into it's second set post-drums standard slot....

Yeah, Portland, ME. Great stuff. The first set Bertha and Deal are smoking, as well. They were doing Throwing Stones just about every night that fall, trying it in different spots before it settled into it's second set post-drums standard slot....

Yeah. T Stones' jam in the middle was kind of weird in the early days, that minor-key thing that sort of reminded me of Cassidy. IMO it got MUCH better when they went to the "triumphant" major-key jam. Any idea when they changed it? I'm thinking mid- '84.

Yeah. T Stones' jam in the middle was kind of weird in the early days, that minor-key thing that sort of reminded me of Cassidy. IMO it got MUCH better when they went to the "triumphant" major-key jam. Any idea when they changed it? I'm thinking mid- '84.

I think it was earlier than that. Late fall/early winter '82.....

That triumphant jam/riff is a Garcia signature, reminiscent of St. Stephen, Estimated, probably a few other songs.

He's talking about when T.Stones went from a more-suited-for-first-set tune, cut-dry....to the behemoth it eventually became.

He's talking about when T.Stones went from a more-suited-for-first-set tune, cut-dry....to the behemoth it eventually became.

Yeah, I know. I like behemoth Garcia riffs. End of second set placement was perfect for this tune. Love the vocal jam at the end too, though it took my 3 year old daughter to point out that was lifted from Ring Around the Rosie. D'oh.