• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost as hard as fathoming the 17 years prior following that dude around!

well said, but for me it was more like 8 years. there must be something in the air because i'm listening to so much dead lately. mostly late 70s. dead are always in rotation, but lately it's only been dead in rotation. not arguing with that. my wife is lamenting 15 min. sugarees. i've also been watching some 77-78 vids on youtube. man, garcia was really bouncy in that era:)

I'd say they are going more and more for the Deadheads with deep pockets. Plus - they are only printing 9,000 copies. It's not something I would be interested in buying. It's probably moreso a Rhino thing, than a GD thing.

I had no choice, of course. I HAD to get it :D

I'm still "current", as they say. Everything that's been officially released is here.

I don't know when exactly, but I broke the completist deal.

When it comes to the GD - I like to dig around and find shows on Archive.org and be amazed.

It's all good - as the kids say.

Lame. You have no idea.....

Why lame? All I meant was that I spent a few years following them around when JG was a shell of his former self. Still had lots of fun, but musically, I am no fan of the rosebud era. I was a lot less interested once Brent died. C'est la vie.

Why lame? All I meant was that I spent a few years following them around when JG was a shell of his former self. Still had lots of fun, but musically, I am no fan of the rosebud era. I was a lot less interested once Brent died. C'est la vie.

Well it was mostly downhill after '85 (or even '75, for that matter), BUT every so often (for SECONDS ON END!) there would be a little visitation of magic and then one would realize why they put some much time, money and energy into following the man around.

I have no idea why, and to even discuss it probably can sound silly, but Garcia had the ability to put you in touch with the invisible. How he did this no one knows, but when it happened everyone present knew it.

I have no idea why, and to even discuss it probably can sound silly, but Garcia had the ability to put you in touch with the invisible. How he did this no one knows, but when it happened everyone present knew it.

I was fortunate to be in the room on any number of such occasions. Your explanation, or lack of an explanation for the phenomenon, is spot on.

Well it was mostly downhill after '85 (or even '75, for that matter), BUT every so often (for SECONDS ON END!) there would be a little visitation of magic and then one would realize why they put some much time, money and energy into following the man around.

totally agree with this. i kept going because i didn't really care if the band fucked up. i just wanted to hear jerry play live...even if it was bum notes :-) there were always moments of brilliance, even in '95. something unspoken happened and it was cosmic. i can't think of any other word. love the man.

...of course, bob, phil, billy, mickey and brent were badass too.

I misunderstood you, I guess. Sorry.

I have to respectfully disagree, mb. Not sure why you selected '85 as the point of a downward spiral. Garcia looked (and sounded, vocally) pretty bad in most of '85, particularly the summer. However, the playing and song selections were really tight. I've always thought that -87-90 were some of the best years of the band's existence. Without getting into Pig era/particular /73 runs,'77, etc., the '87-90 years were pretty stellar through and through.

I don't remember anything but decent-excellent Garcia health/playing, excellent new tunes, bust-outs of old tunes (Warlocks shows, etc), the band being happy on and reportedly off stage with each other (scuba diving, etc, w/one another), and the overall quality of shows as almost always excellent.

My take.

195871_443067292404225_1144345809_n.jpg

The above pic was in a TRI Studio email I just received, pretty cool pic. A decent rendition of Death or Glory is at the TRI site, too.

I think 89-90 stands up pretty well up against the best of the rest of the eras. It all depends on the day on which time period I listen to. It's one of the reason why I dig the Dead so much - a wide range of sounds/songs/styles throughout their career. Not many other bands have that. I suppose the different styling of Miles throughout his career comes to mind.

That's pretty weird. You would think Joe would not be into the GD.

I would say that photo could have been taken at the US Festival, but The Clash and The GD were not there at the same time. The GD played in 1982, The Clash in 1983.

I bet it was the Jamaica World Music Festival in 1982.

I have seen other people guess Jamaica, too - not sure if anything has been confirmed, though - I have no idea where it was taken.

Not sure what musicians wouldn't be into the actual musician's of the GD - they partied with the best of them, even the Stones and them had some fun.

I can see where some would not be into Deadheads (stinky hippies :lol ).

That picture is from the Jamaica festival in 1982. A friend who attended said the Dead didn't go on stage until about 3am, by that time most people had left. It is surprising to see Bob and Joe together, but Joe was a lot more than just an ignorant punk, really defies being categorized. Listen to his song Coma Girl, and it is clear he appreciates 60's culture, and references the Acid Tests. Great song. Also, Furthur covered London Calling about a year ago.

Regarding the band's playing in the 80's, their demise has been greatly exaggerated. They really didn't start to stink it up on a consistent basis until 94, and even then there were usually mind-bending moments within each show. The only show I hated was my last, the band's second to last show at Soldier's Field, and even that show has tan amazing Visions of Johanna in which Garcia just erupts. One of my greatest and most profound memories of seeing the Dead.

Regarding the band's playing in the 80's, their demise has been greatly exaggerated. They really didn't start to stink it up on a consistent basis until 94, and even then there were usually mind-bending moments within each show. The only show I hated was my last, the band's second to last show at Soldier's Field, and even that show has tan amazing Visions of Johanna in which Garcia just erupts. One of my greatest and most profound memories of seeing the Dead.

I agree. The "Visions" from Philly Spectrum spring '95 is absolutely magical.

Punks and 'Heads have plenty in common. The GD were one of the first to do the whole DYI thing with their own label, too....

Indeed, anti-establishment, although representing different ends of the spectrum.