kingpin!

sorry to hear the grooves werent pushin yer shoes!

can't deny some tempos were laid low - but that was richmond 85 and stanley 79, so , as you well know...we get what we get.

so many factors make/ break the experience: friends, vibes, po-po - security - i've shared your critique at times -early other ones, robben ford stuff,,,and have also left early, too.

maybe inching closer to the never ending tour model, every once in a while, ya just gotta get there. and then all bets are either off, or ON..but typically somewhere in the middle. and i'll take it, and be thankful for what i getst

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hard cover book and 1 soft cover book came in the set - each show is in its own cardboard gate-fold case with liner notes on each case, they are written on the case itself, no booklet.

At first glance I am happy with it - haven't listened to any of it yet. I think I am going to be a dork and listened to each show in order.

if we are talking 82, my first show and one of my favs

04-18-82 Hartford Civic Center, Hartford, Ct. (Sun)

1: Bertha> Promised, FOTD> C. C. Rider, Ramble On, Me & My Uncle> Mexicali, Althea> L. L. Rain, Big RxR Blues, Let It Grow

2: Cold Rain> Samson, Ship Of Fools, Playin> Eyes> Drumz> Phil's Earthquake Space> Other One> Black Peter> Sugar Magnolia> Playin> Sunshine Daydream

E: Don't Ease

And yes there was a time when hearing touch of grey was a pleasure-up to about 86.

I was here, too. The Phil craziness/Earthquake Space was cool. I remember the Bertha being decent, as well. And yeah, "Touch" used to be done in a slower tempo. I really like '83 versions best, particularly the one from Lake Placid (a fantastic show thru and thru).

kingpin!

can't deny some tempos were laid low - but that was richmond 85 and stanley 79, so , as you well know...we get what we get.

. and i'll take it, and be thankful for what i getst

What do you mean in reference to Richmond '85 and Stanley Theatre '79?

I enjoy the Furthur stuff, too.I think they continue to get better and better and Kadlicek has been allowed more room to do his own thing. Maybe the venue had a shitty sound system at the Mann or something....

I'm looking forward to them closing out the Red Rocks season here in a month or so with 3 shows.

Caught Weir, Robinson, and Jackie Greene 2 weekends ago, too. All acoustic and on the money. They even did a 'catfish John."

Ive been on fall '89 kick lately, got 10/23 going, the show that opens with cali earthquake and the matrix I have of this show is sweet. Never been a huge let it grow fan but this version is really good.

Ive been on fall '89 kick lately, got 10/23 going, the show that opens with cali earthquake and the matrix I have of this show is sweet. Never been a huge let it grow fan but this version is really good.

North Carolina. Caught this, too. They only did a few of those Cali Earthquakes. Really nice tune to cover and apt, of course, for the time. I like 88-89 a bunch....

I think ive said it before but 87-91 is my fav dead period. What you loose in jerry being off from time to time, you more than make up for in a fuller sound imo. They're like freight train. I get why people may not like that but for me, nothing better. I hope spring 90 is next after this e 72 box although with a few exceptions, there are matrixes/ultramixes out there for most of that tour that'd be hard to top.

I think ive said it before but 87-91 is my fav dead period. What you loose in jerry being off from time to time, you more than make up for in a fuller sound imo. They're like freight train. I get why people may not like that but for me, nothing better. I hope spring 90 is next after this e 72 box although with a few exceptions, there are matrixes/ultramixes out there for most of that tour that'd be hard to top.

And I've said this before: that Weir has stated that 87-90 were the bands "best," or peak, years. Take it for what it is, but I agree to an extent with that. Yes, it's the post-Touch era, but they really were firing on all cylinders. This in no way negates some of the late 60s stuff and all the various eras previously (fall '73, etc.....

i did 25 or more shows in 89 and 90 and i think summer 90 is even better than 89 and thats saying something.

I cant say enough things about Cal Expo 90 all three shows. they were pumping better than ever.

88 was a great year as well

once brent died it was over. there were a couple of decent shows with hornsby but nothing TOUCHED brent dead

yes, i'd go for a spring 90 box. i also wish they'd put together some gems from 91, 92 etc. the shows then were touch and go, but there were some moments.

as far as the dead basically being done when brent died...i think that's right. if hornsby had been the replacement and not vince, things might have been different. also, if they'd slowed down and garcia had more time with JGB, it might have been different. brent was the secret weapon for the 80s.

I enjoy the Furthur stuff, too.I think they continue to get better and better and Kadlicek has been allowed more room to do his own thing. Maybe the venue had a shitty sound system at the Mann or something....

I'm looking forward to them closing out the Red Rocks season here in a month or so with 3 shows.

Caught Weir, Robinson, and Jackie Greene 2 weekends ago, too. All acoustic and on the money. They even did a 'catfish John."

furthur has one slow groove and john does not solo at all. you'd be hard pressed to find one on any of the recordings. not a fan of the back up singers either.

clarification: i absolutely love richmond 85 and pitsburgh 79 - my point was the tempos/jams were slow and smoldering. the playing (band not song) was excellent!

i did 25 or more shows in 89 and 90 and i think summer 90 is even better than 89 and thats saying something.

I cant say enough things about Cal Expo 90 all three shows. they were pumping better than ever.

once brent died it was over. there were a couple of decent shows with hornsby but nothing TOUCHED brent dead

Wish i saw them more, embarrassed to say i only saw them twice, 9/9/88 and 10/19/89. Tickets were always such a pain in the ass to get and i got heavy into alternative and kinda left that stuff alone for 10 years. If i liked them then the way i like them now, i probably would have ended up on tour. Makes me pissed i missed those 90 shows.

I agree with the other post above about gems from 91, i love what Hornsby brought to the sound, makes me wish Brent had a grand piano instead of that electric thing. I love Brent but some of his songs, to me, are downright awful. Just a little light and we can run jump to mind.

I downloaded sbds from 7/8 and 7/9/95 recently and was actually surprised that they weren't that bad, not great, but listenable.

I agree with the slow groove thing about Furthur, i don't really enjoy listening to them after the fact but live, i think they're really good. Friday and sat at the tower last march were outstanding.

Wish i saw them more, embarrassed to say i only saw them twice, 9/9/88 and 10/19/89. Tickets were always such a pain in the ass to get and i got heavy into alternative and kinda left that stuff alone for 10 years. If i liked them then the way i like them now, i probably would have ended up on tour. Makes me pissed i missed those 90 shows.

I agree with the other post above about gems from 91, i love what Hornsby brought to the sound, makes me wish Brent had a grand piano instead of that electric thing. I love Brent but some of his songs, to me, are downright awful. Just a little light and we can run jump to mind.

I downloaded sbds from 7/8 and 7/9/95 recently and was actually surprised that they weren't that bad, not great, but listenable.

I agree with the slow groove thing about Furthur, i don't really enjoy listening to them after the fact but live, i think they're really good. Friday and sat at the tower last march were outstanding.

http://www.archive.org/details/gd94-03-16.sbd.ladner.7778.sbeok.shnf

3.16.94 this was a good late show. some touch and go parts but pre-drums is really really good.

i think vince would've been better if his rig wasn't all digital. part of what made brent great was that he played a real piano and hammond organ. brent's tunes were pretty bad at the end, but they were so fun to hear mixing up the first set. again, they should've done this with vince. god love the heads, they really supported vince.

as far as missing shows and getting to shows...man it got pretty bad with me. if i wasn't at a show in my side of the states i couldn't handle it. garcia dying was kind of a relief from all the shows to tell you the truth. i only saw one show summer 95 b/c i just couldn't do it anymore and was not enjoying it. that last show was so fun b/c it was one show. oh, and add in a shit load of phish shows and it just got to be too much. i was never on the panic scene, but i randomly heard their latest album and was blown away. may go see them in the fall, but i really missed out on their heyday.

c

http://www.archive.o...7778.sbeok.shnf

3.16.94 this was a good late show. some touch and go parts but pre-drums is really really good.

Hey, hey a show where I was at. My first show where I saw them inside. I had seats that where more less towards the side of the stage and a bit up, a great vantage point to watch Hart and Kreutzman. This run is when Healy was canned - there was a chant of "Turn it up" either at this show or the next one.

Diddo with the amount of shows in that era. I think Vince was ok. He was no Brent. I think it's a little funny now a-days the love the guy gets because back then he sure didn't get a lot of love. looking back, it's easy to see how much he really did lift the band up for a revival of sorts. Heck, he played the B-3!

Hornsby and Vince together in the transitional days of fall '90 was really nice. Things got dilapidated quickly after the 93 tour. There were moments, but farther and farther in between. I gave away my tix for the second night of 95 Giants because the first night was sadly horrible.

Vince did what he could, which was a little too much in terms of repetitive keyboard babble, but by then the band had run it's course anyway, I think.

Saw those Richmond 85 shows and thought they were shining lights in a dark era (Garcia coming of the "red t-shirt" phase and absolutely obese).

Furthur kicks some good ass live. I agree, though, don't listen to any tapes of it afterwords. No point. But for a live night of tunes...I'm in.