• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Road Trips Series Ends with Boston ’76

1976 was a pivotal year for the Grateful Dead. After an 18-month hiatus that saw just four Bay Area appearances by the band, but also a phenomenal studio album, Blues for Allah, and a slew of solo projects, the Dead returned to the road at the beginning of June ’76. Mickey Hart was officially back in the fold after a long absence, and the band came back with a batch of new songs and fresh approaches to playing their old ones. It was the summer of America’s much-ballyhooed bicentennial, the country was still going through Watergate withdrawal, and we needed our Grateful Dead back!

During their time away, the Dead radically simplified their stage setup. They put their remarkable (but cumbersome) Wall of Sound P.A. out to pasture, in favor of a more conventional (but still great) system. And, as a treat to their fans, they booked their entire first post-hiatus tour into acoustically solid small theaters, eschewing the large arenas that their snowballing popularity and their massive sound system had forced them into. They hit the road well-rehearsed and refreshed; clearly thrilled to be out there playing Grateful Dead music onstage again. And we were, needless to say, psyched to be seeing them again!

This latest—and last—edition of our Road Trips series (more on that in a moment), ingeniously labeled No. 4. Vol. 5, was drawn from two shows early on what was dubbed by many Heads at the time as the Dead’s “comeback” tour. It contains the truly awe-inspiring complete June 9, 1976 Boston Music Hall show (just the third of the tour, but you’d never guess that), and also a handful of hot tracks from the June 12 show at the same venue. The 6/9 show has long been a personal favorite, so I’m really delighted that it is finally being released! It’s definitely one of the strongest of ’76.

The first set includes stand-out versions of then-new songs such as “Crazy Fingers” and “The Music Never Stopped,” just the third version of “Cassidy,” a neatly jammed “Scarlet Begonias” and a potent “Ship of Fools,” among other gems. The second set opens with a long, circuitous “St. Stephen” (the first in five years!), then goes into a tremendous “Eyes,” followed by “Let It Grow,” which was now independent of the first two parts of “Weather Report Suite.” “Samson and Delilah” and “Lazy Lightning” > “Supplication” were brand-new to the Dead repertoire, while the bevy of rearranged songs included “High Time” and the famous disco-influenced “Dancing in the Street.” The encore was another recent one: “Franklin’s Tower” (which would never be played in that slot again). For a band that hadn’t played together in eons, the Dead sound remarkably self-assured and on-the-ball throughout. The 6/12/76 songs include one of only five versions of “Mission in the Rain” the Dead played, “The Wheel” (a few years old, but new to the stage), the revived “Comes a Time” (last played in ’72) and a “Sugar Mag” sandwich with a great “U.S. Blues” as the meaty filling.

As with all the previous Road Trips releases, this final entry comes with a colorful booklet containing an essay and period photos. And needless to say it has been mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman. You can find the complete song list for all three discs, as well as ordering information, by clicking here.

So, what’s all this talk about the end of Road Trips? Well, we figured that four years and 17 releases was a pretty good run for that series, and now it’s time to try something new. Don’t worry, there is definitely going to be another release program dedicated to putting out the best material in the vault. We’ll be revealing details of the new series very soon, so stay tuned!

I wonder if that means they will go to a download only deal, and do away with the physical product.

I LOVE the studio version of Playin' In The Band from Ace. Its like a perfectly distilled elixir balancing the exploratory jamming with a studio tightness, not too long and not too short. Of course, I like the deeply spacey freakouts they did on this tune live, but I've always felt this Playin' (and a lot of Ace) is some of the finest studio performances the Dead ever did.

I was just about to write something similar ...

Pig died shortly after this tour and the band played as a four piece for at least a few shows, right?

I don't think that's correct. Once Keith and Donna joined in '72, they were with the band for the next six years. In fact, I have several shows where Bob Weir mentioned Pigpen being sick, anticipating him coming back to the band at a later date, but of course that never happened.

Hmm...

The Download series was interesting. They didn't really release any material that wasn't already out there in very fine condition (e.g., charlie miller sources). The only new stuff they released was the August 1971 stuff which was great quality sound wise but only above average performance wise.

I think they are suffering now from not having a true fan of exceptional L.ive S.teaming D.ead in charge of deciding which shows to release. For example, October 15, 1977 - wow - Terrapin>St. Stephen (with a nuts 10 minute jam)>NFA (starting with a lesh solo; followed by a maniacal series of jams>the most beautiful transition to Stella Blue ever (check out the Lesh bomb as the actual transition occurs)>Stella Blue (with a tear jerking finale; sniff sniff)>Sugar Mag (jerry broke a string? resulting in a nice 4 minute Lesh / Weir sugar mag rhythm jam)>SSDD instrumental (jerry goes nuts)>ssdd vocals (weir trashes his voice with donna); encore: Truckin' (another nuts series of jams)>OMSN (wow is all i can say)...

Why not release shows like that - not just shows that look good on paper - but had that "it" factor where the band transcended the normality of every day and achieved true bliss on stage...

Oh - and for anyone that has not downloaded the Wilco October 8, 2006 show that recently surfaced - get it - it is the kind of performance I'm talking about - the standard is left at the gate with the ticket scalpers and bliss is amassed...

isnt the playing from veneta oregan the epique one??

I love that show. It is permanently in my car. It's where I first heard Sugaree. Keith's performance on that song is wonderful.

Hmm...

The Download series was interesting. They didn't really release any material that wasn't already out there in very fine condition (e.g., charlie miller sources). The only new stuff they released was the August 1971 stuff which was great quality sound wise but only above average performance wise.

I think they are suffering now from not having a true fan of exceptional L.ive S.teaming D.ead in charge of deciding which shows to release. For example, October 15, 1977 - wow - Terrapin>St. Stephen (with a nuts 10 minute jam)>NFA (starting with a lesh solo; followed by a maniacal series of jams>the most beautiful transition to Stella Blue ever (check out the Lesh bomb as the actual transition occurs)>Stella Blue (with a tear jerking finale; sniff sniff)>Sugar Mag (jerry broke a string? resulting in a nice 4 minute Lesh / Weir sugar mag rhythm jam)>SSDD instrumental (jerry goes nuts)>ssdd vocals (weir trashes his voice with donna); encore: Truckin' (another nuts series of jams)>OMSN (wow is all i can say)...

Why not release shows like that - not just shows that look good on paper - but had that "it" factor where the band transcended the normality of every day and achieved true bliss on stage...

Oh - and for anyone that has not downloaded the Wilco October 8, 2006 show that recently surfaced - get it - it is the kind of performance I'm talking about - the standard is left at the gate with the ticket scalpers and bliss is amassed...

I forgot about the download series.

I have a few Dick's Picks, and a couple Road Trips. I don't have the money or desire to collect them all.

And as you say - SBD shows keep popping up quite regularly these days. I still wonder how that guy is getting away with what he does.

Ya...and 09 June 1976? Good show with attractive set list but the performance was at best above average only. They should have picked 04 August 1976 Jersey City....The band was on planet janet for that show...or 18 July 1976...imho

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1976-06-09.sbd.miller.95399.sbeok.flac16

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1976-07-18.pre-fm.kbfh.berger.107832.flac16

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1976-08-04.sbd.miller-tobin.35171.flac

Road Trips Series Ends with Boston ’76

I wonder if that means they will go to a download only deal, and do away with the physical product.

Man, I'm sad about this.They better keep something physical going.I have everything.

Loved Jack Straw opener, especially when it was followed by They Love Each Other or Sugaree. Buckeye Lack 93 Jack Straw>Foolish Heart was awesome!

btw-Bobby plays the weirdest chord voicing. i usually only recognize a few.

Ya...and 09 June 1976? Good show with attractive set list but the performance was at best above average only. They should have picked 04 August 1976 Jersey City....The band was on planet janet for that show...or 18 July 1976...imho

I guess the Dead released the July 18, 1976 show via the Download series they did a while ago. I have this show on my hard drive, but no linage folder.

I am guessing my copy is from the download series. It is a good one. I have only 9 shows from 76, definitely an under represented year in my collection.

Also, I am bit curious how you got involved in the Compendium books and the Archive...if you don't mind.

I never bothered to find out the origins of how all the data/tapes ended up at Archive.org, it is an amazing achievement getting all those sources into one place.

I believe they were put up by fans, the same as those put up at bt.etree.org. I don't know if the new sources or new SBDs that have been appearing get put up there or not.

I guess that make sense, for some reason I figured they all appeared one day on the Archive. I suspect the Archive grew over time...

Plus, I was wrong about the 7/18/76 being released - 6/18/76 was released as a download.

• 2 weeks later...

Dave's Picks

Music You Need:

Dave's Picks, Europe '72 Redux, Road Trips and More

Oh, you lucky dogs! Because you were wise enough to sign up to receive The Grateful Dead Almanac, you are among the very first to be let in on a MAJOR SCOOP: Early in 2012, we'll be firing up a brand-new archival release series called DAVE'S PICKS, named after the Dead's inimitable current archivist and vaultkeeper, David Lemieux! Schweeeet!

As most of you know, the esteemed Mr. Lemieux has been working for the Dead since 1999, originally cataloguing the Dead's video archive, but then thrust into the role of producer for the beloved Dick's Picks series after the untimely death of Dick Latvala. David shepherded the final 22 volumes of that great release program, and has also been the key overseer in every subsequent GD archival release, from the Fillmore West, Winterland, Hampton and Europe '72 boxes, to DVDs including The Grateful Dead Movie, The Closing of Winterland, Truckin' Up to Buffalo and Crimson, White & Indigo, to the entire Road Trips series, and all sorts of other cool one-offs (Egypt '78, Cow Palace '76, etc.)

Dave's Picks will combine the best aspects of the Dick's Picks and Road Trips series, by presenting shows selected from the finest master tapes in the vault, mastered to HDCD specs by Jeffrey Norman, and always including period photos and informative liner notes. Here's a new wrinkle: The four 2012 releases (the first should be out around February 1) will be available in a limited, numbered, edition of just 12,000 COPIES.

That's still a few months away, but if you SUBSCRIBE TODAY, you can guarantee that you'll receive all four sets, plus a special subscribers-only BONUS DISC (to be sent out with the 2nd release), and we'll throw in FREE domestic standard shipping & handling to sweeten the deal! What's more, we're offering an early bird subscription rate of $95.50 through December 15, 2011. This constitues a savings of over $30 as compared to purchasing the volumes a la carte. Get it (or gift it!) here.

I figured they would do away with the paper version. It looks like they are selling a lot of limited edition merchandise also.

Limiting the number of cds somewhat surprises me, but it could be they are not selling that many. I suppose what people really want is Mp3 and FLAC downloads.