• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think i saw like 55 shows in 89 and 90 including the NYE run. summer 90 to me is the best grateful dead ever ever ever.

something like the Bertha Jack Straw and all the rest at Cal Expo. im talking face melting shit

i'm so jealous. i was basically one year two young to see the 89-90 shows. was summer 90 the first tour without brent? i know bruce got them doing some fun stuff...a Scarlet>Victim>Fire comes to mind.

i like the so far video. i wish it didn't have all the graphics and stuff. i'd much rather watch the band play.

btw-i really miss going to grateful dead concerts. i was totally enthralled, even at the shittiest ones. there was just something about hearing them live that was other worldly. i just loved listening to garcia. loved it!

That Buffalo DVD is probably my favorite later period DVD release. The Deal is a great one, as well as the Morning Dew.

Below is info on DVD box set - The only ones I don't have is the So Far release - hopefully they release that one separately.

I guess $99 is not a bad price, if you don't have any of these.

The five songs from the archive, that is mentioned, is the songs from the Calibration show from August 30 1970. I had the show on my hard drive for a while and finally watched it a couple of days ago - a bit sloppy, but it was cool to see the old footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ozp2P_ENBo

http://www.jambase.c...-14-DVD-Box-Set

no Crimson White and Indigo...that dvd from a few years ago?

I was at Brent's last show. I watched a DVD boot of it last month or so, it was a pretty uninspired show. The venue is horrible and they had issues with the town and venue, so I am assuming the band just wanted get the show done and over. They never did play the venue again (The World Music Theatre, now called something else...)

I did have fun at the show - I started on the lawn and dance my way up towards the stage as the show progressed. I was 16 at the time and the kid I went worth got bored and headed back to the car during the set break. It was fun just hanging around various people in the crowd. It, of course, took me a while to find the car afterwards.

vacant summer 90 was the last with Brent and one of the best ever by a long shot. they had the sound down to an art.

okay, that's what i thought. i've always listened to spring 90. i need to get some summer 90.

btw, i didn't thing crimson white and indigo was great either.

every show from 89 is good:-)

88-90 were excellent years. I caught a lot of shows in the time, which helps influence my opinion, but they really were rolling and in high spirits these years. A lot of the midi effects and gadgets were broken out then, too....

There are picky Deadheads (like me) and then there are the "anytime Jerry is playing it is wonderful" Deadheads. I'm exaggerating to make a point, of course, but its true. I was at the last five shows Brent played in summer of '90 and I thought they were OK, Deer Creek was better than Tinley Park, IMO. I think Spring tour 1990 (from which Without A Net was taken, I think) was better than Summer 1990 overall, although the Cal Expo and Shoreline shows in summer 1990 were pretty freakin' good, especially Shoreline. As was already mentioned, the Madison Square Garden run in Fall of 1990 with Hornsby was stellar, especially the last few shows of the run. Arizona in Dec. 1990 were two of the most fun and wonderful shows I ever saw. But I agree with Mr. Heartbreak and others, I don't think 1989 or 1990 come anywhere near close to peak Dead if you consider their entire history.

i prefer 74-81 then 89-90. that being said, i like it all. also, 74, 77, and 90 really can't be compared. they were a different band. garcia's voice was shit by 82, but the playing was still excellent. 74-77 for me would be peak. almost too good....like wilco...a well oiled machine.

Wha? Took me 14-15 years to see a little over 150.

:-) I was on tour brah. dreadlock rasta

agreed on the compton terrace shows Shug. if i remember correctly we left denver in a blizzard and ended up in the desert. wasnt that the here comes sunshine show?

the good thing (i believe) about 89 and 90 is that Garcia was sober for the first time ever. He was tan and singing great and playing great. As soon as Brent died it started to turn bad. Those Hornsby shows were good but bittersweet as hell

:-) I was on tour brah. dreadlock rasta

agreed on the compton terrace shows Shug. if i remember correctly we left denver in a blizzard and ended up in the desert. wasnt that the here comes sunshine show?

the good thing (i believe) about 89 and 90 is that Garcia was sober for the first time ever. He was tan and singing great and playing great. As soon as Brent died it started to turn bad. Those Hornsby shows were good but bittersweet as hell

The 1990 Arizona Compton Terrace was right before Denver. The Denver blizzard and the Here Comes Sunshine at the same venue was in 1992 according to my handy dandy Deadbase. I couldn't remember either. "All the years combine, they melt into a dream..." indeed! Compton Terrace was a super-great venue, wish they'd do shows there again. You can still see the lighting rig from the freeway when you drive by, but its been abandoned for years sadly.

ahhh. im thinking about 1992. I dont think most of the deadheads made it to the show. Couldnt get there for the first night from Denver

theres an abandoned outdoor theater here in richmond called classic ampitheatre that had a ton of great shows in the 90s but sits there unused now. it was one of the first outdoor sheds.