• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Took a listen to some stuff from '77 last night. There is definitely good reason why this time period is so highly regarded, they were sounding really strong.

3-20-77 Winterland - rare stand-alone first set versions of Estimated Prophet and Scarlet Begonias to close set one. If they are this well-oiled and ready to jam and its still the first set, you just know its gonna be a good show.

6-9-77 Winterland - Help On The Way>Slipknot>Franklin's Tower to open set two. 1977 probably had the best performances of this trio, IMO. More fleshed out than 1975, and fairly tight synchronization compared to 80s and 90s versions.

5-7-77 Boston - Half Step, Big River, Tenn. Jed and Music Never Stopped to end set one. Music Never Stopped as a set closer in 1977 was killer all year long.

Not saying this stuff is the best of the period, just a few random things I pulled out, a very enjoyable listen for a Sat night.

Took a listen to some stuff from '77 last night. There is definitely good reason why this time period is so highly regarded, they were sounding really strong.

3-20-77 Winterland - rare stand-alone first set versions of Estimated Prophet and Scarlet Begonias to close set one. If they are this well-oiled and ready to jam and its still the first set, you just know its gonna be a good show.

6-9-77 Winterland - Help On The Way>Slipknot>Franklin's Tower to open set two. 1977 probably had the best performances of this trio, IMO. More fleshed out than 1975, and fairly tight synchronization compared to 80s and 90s versions.

5-7-77 Boston - Half Step, Big River, Tenn. Jed and Music Never Stopped to end set one. Music Never Stopped as a set closer in 1977 was killer all year long.

Not saying this stuff is the best of the period, just a few random things I pulled out, a very enjoyable listen for a Sat night.

'77, particularly the first half of the year, no doubt an awesome period for the Dead. The general consensus is correct about that. One of my favorites from May '77 is the Buffalo show, 5-9-77,the night after the highly rated Barton Hall show. I like the Buffalo show better, particularly the killer first set. The opening Help>Slip>Franklin's may be the best I've ever heard, the set closing Music is off the hook, and in between the entire set is awesome.

Jerry!

'77, particularly the first half of the year, no doubt an awesome period for the Dead. The general consensus is correct about that. One of my favorites from May '77 is the Buffalo show, 5-9-77,the night after the highly rated Barton Hall show. I like the Buffalo show better, particularly the killer first set. The opening Help>Slip>Franklin's may be the best I've ever heard, the set closing Music is off the hook, and in between the entire set is awesome.

Jerry!

BRENT!

i'd love to see what he's got written down on those notes on the piano and organ. probably chords for random tunes the boys might bust out? :)

Best Mississippi Half Step ever: 9-3-77 Englishtown Raceway, one of Jerry's best solos ever, IMO, completely triumphant and joyful. http://www.archive.org/details/gd1977-09-03.aud.102409.flemming.berger.flac24

Best Sugaree ever: 5-5-77 New Haven, CT HUGE crescendos, 17 minutes long! http://www.archive.org/details/gd1977-05-05.sbd.unknown.261.shnf

i'm familiar with that half-step. i never 'wanted' to hear that tune, but when did, i was very happy. need to check out that sugaree. i'll do it after i know the kids are asleep so I can have a whole 17 min. uninterrupted :)

Yeah that one at GAMH in 1975 is mighty tight, but the jams are not fully developed and its shorter because of it. Check out some of the 1977 ones like the one from 5-9-77 that worldrecordplayer mentioned.

i'm familiar with that half-step. i never 'wanted' to hear that tune, but when did, i was very happy. need to check out that sugaree. i'll do it after i know the kids are asleep so I can have a whole 17 min. uninterrupted :)

Got my Dave's Pick Vol. 1 today (5-25-77), and that Half Step opener is killer. Looking forward to hearing the second set.

holy wow! what was the venue like??

tell us a story??

Hah! Wish I could :rolleyes I was in college in St. Louis from 75-79, so I saw a lot of mid-west GD shows during that period: Cincy, Indy, Chicago, Iowa, Illinois, St. Louis. Most of which I can remember and tell you at least one story about. But this is one that I have only the vaguest recollection of, but I've got it marked that I was there.

What was the smallest venue you saw them in? Best show??

Smallest venue? Off the top of my head, would have to be a theater show: the Beacon shows in June '76, or the Uptown Theater in Chicago in November '78, or the Capital in Pasaic in '77 or '78. Saw some Jerry and Merle shows in smaller venues.

Best show? That's a tough one. If I had to answer, would go with my first GD show, 8-6-74 Roosevelt Stadium, Jersey City. With one of those Uptown shows from November '78 coming a close second for the magic of it all. The single best GD *set* I ever saw was the second set, MSG, 9-20-90. I don't know if I've ever had my mind blown like that night. Especially since I didn't decide to drive down from Boston until that morning, and then fell into a free Arista 13th row center seat with my friend. But putting all that aside, that second set was unreal.

What was the smallest venue you saw them in? Best show??

Smallest Venue - Frost Ampitheater, Palo Alto, CA 10/10/82

Favorite/best show - Frost Ampitheater 10/10/82

Great show - harvest time from Humboldt!!

Great Weather. Good Window-Pane!

Small venue Jerry shows - Keystone Berkeley 8/21/81

Keystone Palo Alto 8/23/81

Mojo's Arcata CA 3/18 & 19/82

Country Club Reseda, CA 9/30/83 (My 21st B-day)

Smallest Venue - Frost Ampitheater, Palo Alto, CA 10/10/82

Favorite/best show - Frost Ampitheater 10/10/82

Great show - harvest time from Humboldt!!

Great Weather. Good Window-Pane!

Small venue Jerry shows - Keystone Berkeley 8/21/81

Keystone Palo Alto 8/23/81

Mojo's Arcata CA 3/18 & 19/82

Country Club Reseda, CA 9/30/83 (My 21st B-day)

oh my lord.

i didnt start until late 80s but i was always pissed that i never heard a lazy lightning>sup

you must have caught one of those

please describe mojos and the country club. i would love to hear about this. you must have just been at jerrys feet basically.

oh and a weather report suite

Smallest venue? Off the top of my head, would have to be a theater show: the Beacon shows in June '76, or the Uptown Theater in Chicago in November '78, or the Capital in Pasaic in '77 or '78. Saw some Jerry and Merle shows in smaller venues.

Best show? That's a tough one. If I had to answer, would go with my first GD show, 8-6-74 Roosevelt Stadium, Jersey City. With one of those Uptown shows from November '78 coming a close second for the magic of it all. The single best GD *set* I ever saw was the second set, MSG, 9-20-90. I don't know if I've ever had my mind blown like that night. Especially since I didn't decide to drive down from Boston until that morning, and then fell into a free Arista 13th row center seat with my friend. But putting all that aside, that second set was unreal.

that's saying something when you've been to all those 70s shows and the best set you saw was in 90. pretty cool.

i loved jerry band. those shows were so great. mellow lot scene and no surprises, just 3 hours of garcia playing guitar!