• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've listened to the 1974 show from there a time or two by way of archive.org.

Roosevelt Stadium 1974-08-06

That's an epic Eyes of The World.

Sometimes when I am down, I watch/listen to Eyes of The World from the movie and it picks me right up.

right on about the GD movie Eyes. i love that jam they did at the end in 74. seems like they wrote it with the actual song, but didn't put it on the album. need to revisit that Roosevelt Eyes.

btw, i wish i had heard lazy lightning too. i'm surprised they played as long as they did into the 80s. it's a tough tune to play.

I've listened to the 1974 show from there a time or two by way of archive.org.

That's an epic Eyes of The World.

Sometimes when I am down, I watch/listen to Eyes of The World from the movie and it picks me right up.

I spent years searching for the best quality recording of this show that I could find, and my search took me to many places and made me a very good friend to this day. I was able to upgrade my audience cassettes to the soundboard recording in late '91 by way of the old Terrapin Station bbs, run by Cap'n Trips out of CT. This was before I found the WELL.

And now you can find just about all the SBDs on bt.etree.org. It's funny that even though they only used some of that show - they took the whole SBD off of archive.org.

I spent years searching for the best quality recording of this show that I could find, and my search took me to many places and made me a very good friend to this day. I was able to upgrade my audience cassettes to the soundboard recording in late '91 by way of the old Terrapin Station bbs, run by Cap'n Trips out of CT. This was before I found the WELL.

I used to buy my Maxells in bulk from that place. Still have over 1000 tapes in huge tupperware bins. Bust them out every once in a blue moon, too....

"I spent years searching for the best quality recording of this show that I could find, and my search took me to many places and made me a very good friend to this day. I was able to upgrade my audience cassettes to the soundboard recording in late '91 by way of the old Terrapin Station bbs, run by Cap'n Trips out of CT. This was before I found the WELL."

I used to buy my Maxells in bulk from that place. Still have over 1000 tapes in huge tupperware bins. Bust them out every once in a blue moon, too....

Is that the same place as Terrapin Tapes?

If so they had great bulk deals.

"I spent years searching for the best quality recording of this show that I could find, and my search took me to many places and made me a very good friend to this day. I was able to upgrade my audience cassettes to the soundboard recording in late '91 by way of the old Terrapin Station bbs, run by Cap'n Trips out of CT. This was before I found the WELL."

Is that the same place as Terrapin Tapes?

If so they had great bulk deals.

Thats the one...based out of CT (Greenwich, I think).

What was the deal with Terripan Tapes - how did it work? I had one direct source for tapes, before I started to torrant.

Terrapin Tapes was a source to get blank tapes in bulk at good prices. For me it was a slow process to get the tapes filled with music. This was before the Well and other internet sites. For out of town sources I'd have to go get the Relix Magazine go to the tape traders section. (I lived in a small ski town and local sources were very limited.) Look for the Deadheads "your list gets mine", It was the honor system. I'd mail off my tape list and they would send theirs. Study their list, make the deal - x number of tapes for x number of tapes. Hope and prey they would be true to their word. Hope their grading was right on too. Hoped a soundboard was a soundboard. A week or two would pass. Then a package(s) would arrive. I made a lot of good friends and amassed a lot of good music for my vault. I only got ripped off once.Then when I was up to my armpits in tapes, CD and CD burning showed up. The vault became a mix of the two.

1653 hours of Grateful Dead, 323 hrs of Jerry, 909 of Dylan and 765 hr of misc (Wilco, Tweedy, The Beatles studio session out-takes, Neil Young, The Band and the like). Its way too easy these days.

didn't the soundboard line-ins stop after Healey left. wonder what that dude is doing these days. i remember an interview with him for early 90s in Relix where he predicted that a head would able to just about order any they wanted on CD. he was basically right, except for the CD part :)

From what I have read, the band was not to happy when he let that happen.

I guess this new Dave's Picks is doing well. I hope they put out some more acoustic/electric shows. Those are often my favorite shows.

So, blank tapes and money were sent and in return a person would tape the shows you wanted and send them back. I guess that would be bootlegging, unless, I suppose, if the money covered the postage. I can see where the band would get a little peaved. (Personally, I don't find anything wrong it.) I am sure this method of trading is dicussed in one of the Tapers' book, I probably read about it and forgot.

Regarding the Dave' Pick, I didn't suscribe, nor did not pick up the 1st volume, but I think I will get Vol. 2. I agree, an early acoustic/electic 70 show would be great.

Also - these "old time" stories have been a great read.

Edited by calvino

So, blank tapes and money were sent and in return a person would tape the shows you wanted and send them back. I guess that would be bootlegging, unless, I suppose, if the money covered the postage. I can see where the band would get a little peaved. (Personally, I don't find anything wrong it.) I am sure this method of trading is dicussed in one of the Tapers' book, I probably read about it and forgot.

Regarding the Dave' Pick, I didn't suscribe, nor did not pick up the 1st volume, but I think I will get Vol. 2. I agree, an early acoustic/electic 70 show would be great.

Also - these "old time" stories have been a great read.

It's only bootlegging when someone goes around selling shows. B&P is not bootlegging. The reason they were uptight is that they automatically figured - as do some bands still to this day - that people are taping in order to sell shows. Hell - not too long ago I busted some people trying to sell Wilco shows. It still goes on unfortunately.

You may want to check out this book:

Bootleg: The Rise And Fall of The Secret Recording Industry (Clinton Heylin)

No money involved. Generally, blanks and sase sent to another head for certain shows/runs and you toss in x number of blanks as "payment" for that person dubbing the shows and sending them back. I don't think I ever got burned, actually. I was doing the same for other folks. Lots of word-of-mouth about who had sbds, who was reliable, timely, etc.

I don't know if it's the same. The Terrapin Station I was referring to was a dial up bulletin board, pre www.

I was agreeing with Terrapin Tapes. My bad.

Terrapin Tapes was a source to get blank tapes in bulk at good prices.

I guess this where I figured money changed hands. I guess the good price was the cost of the "x number of blanks" - which makes sense.

I guess this where I figured money changed hands. I guess the good price was the cost of the "x number of blanks" - which makes sense.

I'm sure I could have explained it better. You are right. The only place money was involved was for the blanks and postage. If you ever came across somebody who wanted to sell you bootleg tapes, you just would not do it. That was a no, no. That was not how it went. It was free trade and trade freely. That was the beauty of it. That held true a little later too. Not too long ago there was a fair amount of trading discs on this site. The old fashion way "blanks & postage - no money - trade and trade a like" for Wiclo / Tweedy shows etc...... Maybe they still do it?

Speaking of Roosevelt Stadium, this show just appeared on bt.etree.org:

Nice. I have a pretty decent version already but thanks.

Gonna catch the entirety of the '73 Watkins Glen show live tomorrow w/ 3 different (imo excellent) bands doing The Band set, ABB set, and GD sets.Gonna be a marathon day/night....

Gonna catch the entirety of the '73 Watkins Glen show live tomorrow w/ 3 different (imo excellent) bands doing The Band set, ABB set, and GD sets.Gonna be a marathon day/night....

That looks like it would be a fun day. In the past, I use to head to CO at least once a year - never been to Quixotes, though. Looks like a cool place.

Are all the groups going to play the same set-lists that was played in 73?

What's really cool is reading Monte's stories about taping that show.

The discussion over there regarding the Roosevelt show has been a good one - I haven't listened to it yet.

That looks like it would be a fun day. In the past, I use to head to CO at least once a year - never been to Quixotes, though. Looks like a cool place.

Are all the groups going to play the same set-lists that was played in 73?

I'm assuming so. Quixotes has been around since '96. The guy who owns it kicked me out of his condo in Boulder so he could move to Denver and open up a venue. He owned 4 for awhile but has pared down to 2.