not to mention Ballad of a Thin Man. i need to relisten tot hat show. is the Eyes really fast?

btw, i've discovered i like 87-90 instead of 89-90. jerry really turned around via touch of grey. after that coma. also, brent ditched that tinny sounding rhodes and got a better sounding digi-piano.

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mentioned this before but Weir has stated that 87-90 were the band's strongest years. Take that for what it is, but they really were ON in that era. I realize '71, '73, 77, etc are incredible. I don't think Weir meant that the music was neccesarily better but that the band were in a zone that was creative, inspired, Up, etc. At least that's how i take it.

BTW, never liked the GD's take on "Ballad..." I caught the Hampton one and the NJ one and it did nothing for me. Soinded flat and rote to me.

Hey all, just joined this site seeking out a Wilco torrent (still can't find it btw) and stumbled across this thread. Glad to see such great discussion of the greatest band that's ever existed. In that same vein, I thought I'd share something I just recently thoroughly enjoyed. I apologize before hand if it's been posted/discussed previously.

This is the complete pro-shot set from Furthur Live at TRI Studios on 6/7/11. It is beautifully shot, the sound quality is top notch, and the playing is phenomenal. I threw it on my flatscreen the other night via an HDMI cord and rocked out. In the beginning of the video, it gives you a peak behind the scenes of how they set up and get ready for a show. Enjoy and let me know what you think....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJLbYluwX-s

Setlist:

Playin' In The Band,

Crazy Fingers,

Jack Straw,

Brown-Eyed Women,

Big Bad Blues,

The Wheel,

Unbroken Chain,

The Other One,

Uncle Johns Band ,

Lady With A Fan ,

Terrapin Station,

Terrapin Transit,

At a Siding,

Terrapin Flyer,

Terrapin Refrain,

Black Peter,

Mountain Song,

I Know You Rider

What Wilco show are you looking for?

You know what is really good? Jerry's solo in Loser (the one on the Ladies and Gentlemen box - April 28, 1971).

I'm looking for Wilco - Santa Barbara, CA 2-10-12

I love Loser, specifically for Jerry's solo. I'll have to throw on Ladies now just to revisit it. Thanks.

I don't recall reading this in the GD Gear Book, but I wonder if Jerry ever used a B-Bender? The stuff on Loser sort of sounds like he is using a B-Bender to me. (Although, I know he is not.)

I'm looking for Wilco - Santa Barbara, CA 2-10-12

I love Loser, specifically for Jerry's solo. I'll have to throw on Ladies now just to revisit it. Thanks.

I have not seen 2-10-12 anywhere yet...and I am the first person on all of the shows....so if you find it let meknow.

I need to buy that Gear Book. I read it, but it would be a great book to have my shelf.

I received it as a Christmas present a few years ago. I think Jackson states in the beginning that there were things he had to leave out due to space limitations. That is why I was curious about the B-Bender. I'd say Jerry was playing a Strat during those April 71 shows.

This is the next show I am going to check out: The Grateful Dead - 12/26/1969.

*** Acoustic Set ***

01) [01:30] stage banter

02) [01:50] The Monkey And The Engineer

03) [03:48] Little Sadie

04) [04:43] Long Black Limousine

05) [01:26] stage banter

06) [03:50] All Around This World

07) [01:47] stage banter

08) [02:49] The Master's Bouquet

09) [00:09] stage banter

10) [09:45] Black Peter

11) [01:53] stage banter

12) [06:18] Uncle John's Band

*** Electric Set ***

13) [00:25] drum tuning/

14) [00:48] tuning

15) [04:39] Casey Jones

16) [05:05] Hard To Handle

17) [05:07] Cold Rain And Snow *

Total time: 00:55:59 h:m:s

DISC TWO

*** Electric Set (cont) ***

01) [05:51] China Cat Sunflower-> *

02) [05:36] Jam-> I Know You Rider->

03) [08:26] High Time

04) [00:05] stage banter

05) [03:15] Me And My Uncle

06) [02:05] stage banter

07) [23:59] Dark Star//

08) [04:11] //New Speedway Boogie

09) [00:05] stage banter

10) [14:21] Turn On Your Love Light

11) [00:22] stage announcment

i was looking at a site that gave the history of garcia's guitars. pretty interesting. one can get lost in the gear stuff. there are forums dedicated to discussing and recreating garcia's sound. when i play in my dead cover band, i just play a Strat through an old Fender amp with bass at 0 and treble all the way up. lots of reverb and sometimes some tremolo to mix things up. i need to get an auto-wah for Fire, Shakedown, etc. i would one to play an Irwin at some point.

http://dozin.com/jer...tar/history.htm

jerry guitar history.

just saw this was posted above. sorry.

Mentioned this before but Weir has stated that 87-90 were the band's strongest years. Take that for what it is, but they really were ON in that era. I realize '71, '73, 77, etc are incredible. I don't think Weir meant that the music was neccesarily better but that the band were in a zone that was creative, inspired, Up, etc. At least that's how i take it.

BTW, never liked the GD's take on "Ballad..." I caught the Hampton one and the NJ one and it did nothing for me. Soinded flat and rote to me.

that is interesting. they were playing so well then and i think just having fun and not busting their balls as much. by 87, all the technology for playing live kind of peaked. also, personnel in the band was pretty tight then too, not withstanding midland's drug use. those years just sound so tight to me, middle aged guys just enjoying their living and putting on solid tours for the heads.

btw, every solo on every Loser is awesome! i loved hearing that live. people went ape-shit. of course, the crowd went ape-shit for pretty much anything except Victim or Picasso :0

Listening to the below show, now. I don't listened to the early 80's show as often as other era's, but this show is a good one. A nice write up appears in the Taper's book. Dwork mentioned the Railroad Blues and Playin as highlights - they definitely are. Listening to the Hunter's Trix matrix source.

I tend to lean towards the 68-73 years. I guess my favorite year is 71 then it goes 72/70/69/73/68. Of course, 77 and 89 are up there, too.

10/15/83

Hartford Civic Center - Hartford, CT

Set 1:

Feel Like A Stranger

Dire Wolf

New Minglewood Blues

Brown-Eyed Women

Wang Dang Doodle

Big Railroad Blues

Let It Grow

Day Job

Set 2:

China Cat Sunflower

I Know You Rider

Playin' In The Band

China Doll

Drums

St. Stephen

Throwin' Stones

One More Saturday Night

Encore:

Brokedown Palace

The version of Bird Song on that collection is also rather good.

No source as appeared for the Santa Barbara show - so far.

I have the Santa Barbara show. A friend who was there sent me the link to it, was not on bt.etree. Have it on my computer at work so if you are still looking for it send me a message and I will hook you up.

Listening to the below show, now. I don't listened to the early 80's show as often as other era's, but this show is a good one. A nice write up appears in the Taper's book. Dwork mentioned the Railroad Blues and Playin as highlights - they definitely are. Listening to the Hunter's Trix matrix source.

I tend to lean towards the 68-73 years. I guess my favorite year is 71 then it goes 72/70/69/73/68. Of course, 77 and 89 are up there, too.

My brother was at that '83 Hartford Civic Center show, and the place really went nuts when they broke out St. Stephen.

My brother was at that '83 Hartford Civic Center show, and the place really went nuts when they broke out St. Stephen.

I was there as well. The second set is similar to the MSG second set and there was huge expectation for the Stephen. I still get chills listening bto the Space-> Stephen transition....the place lit up like I've never seen before or since.

I have not seen 2-10-12 anywhere yet...and I am the first person on all of the shows....so if you find it let meknow.

Of course man, I was actually very surprised to find that it doesn't seem to exist. Great show from what I've been told/read so hopefully, it turns up soon.

Speaking of turning up, I suggest you turn up the volume and take a listen to He's Gone (26:20) > Not Fade Away (10:55) from September 3rd, 1977. You can stream the audience recording here:http://www.archive.org/details/gd1977-09-03.aud.102410.flemming.berger.flac16 OR you can go out and buy Dick's Pick's 15. An Absolutely phenomenal 35 minutes of music!

Grateful Dead

September 3, 1977

Raceway Park

Englishtown, NJ

Set 1:

Promised Land, They Love Each Other, Me & My Uncle, Mississippi Half Step, Looks Like Rain, Peggy-O, Minglewood Blues, Friend Of The Devil, The Music Never Stopped

Set 2:

Bertha-> Good Lovin', Loser, Estimated Prophet-> Eyes Of The World-> Samson & Delilah*, He's Gone-> Not Fade Away-> Truckin', E: Terrapin Station

*Dead left the stage for a few minutes after Sampson. FM Broadcast WNEW New York.