The vocals are overdubbed.

Are you sure the vocals on Europe 72 Vol. 2 are overdubbed? The more I listen, the more they don't sound as good as the vocals on the original Vol. 1.

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I read somewhere that on the new boxset, they used the original vocals were possible. I figure that is due to the fact they only overdubbed on the tracks that made up the original album. I figure the rest of the reels were put on the shelf. What was the second release from that tour? Hundred Year Hall. I have that one. I have not heard any of the new 72 shows.

I think I read somewhere that on the new boxset, they used the original vocals were possible. I figure that is due to the fact they only overdubbed on the tracks that made up the original album. I figure the rest of the reels were put on the shelf. What was the second release from that tour? Hundred Year Hall. I have that one. I have not heard any of the new 72 shows.

Hundred Year Hall is off the hook fantastic.

I don't think that's correct. Once Keith and Donna joined in '72, they were with the band for the next six years. In fact, I have several shows where Bob Weir mentioned Pigpen being sick, anticipating him coming back to the band at a later date, but of course that never happened.

Keith started touring with the band in '71. He was in the band by the December '71 shows. Check out the fm broadcast tape of the Fox Theatre, St. Louis show. A rockin affair. Run Run Rudolph.

Keith started touring with the band in '71. He was in the band by the December '71 shows.

Even a few months earlier....

My favorite '73 shows are from Nov/Dec when Donna was out of the line up being pregnant.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes...couldn't agree more...the Atlanta 12.12.1973 show is pretty amazing. I really love the Playin' In The Band with no Donna wailing at the front and back end...the middle is pure bliss - especially the Lesh feedback blasts as they reenter the atmosphere and return to playin' reprise...ah....

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1973-12-12.sbd.remaster.102910.flac16

been on a dead kick lately. been listening to deadpod-podcast. i just let the professor pick the show. also, my dead cover band had a nice gig with some real heads last weekend. setlist below if you care. i too am inspired by those 73 playin's. in fact i could do playin>darkstar>reprise for 2 hours!

playin' jam/reprise>

uncle john's>

lady with a fan>

truckin>

new speedway

mama tried>

mexicali

west LA

casey jones

china/rider

sugaree

eyes

darkstar

drums/space

knockin on heaven's door

all over now

miracle>

minglewood

US Blues

• 2 weeks later...

Xm is replaying the entire original 12/31/90 broadcast. I taped this off the radio: the tapes were lost years ago (last seen in CO.) Some of the pre-show and between set banter I do remember - The interview with Vince Welnick was cool to hear again and Healy talking about the opening of the Vaults with the release of the One from the Vault.

I think this New Year Show is still my favorite.

It's great to hear the original broadcast, again.

i love that show too. i still have the tapes somewhere. think i'll look it up on archive.org. it was definitely one of the better shows with vince. i love bobby's comments to the radio audience...'this is what's known as 'dead air'.

This is the place that some of the locals were against, right?

In other web studio news, Weir is going to stream a free Ratdog show 1/25/12.

Hadn't read about locals being against it, but there usually is a faction against similar places opening no matter who opens it or where it is. Weir (Scaring the Children) did a free stream around Xmas time from TRI. It was only 4 tunes but cool none the less....

I'm sure he's got plenty of dough but he's been envisioning something in this vein for awhile now. Good for him. I'll check it out if I'm ever out that way.....

i wonder if he's going to slow down touring like levon helm did and focus on phil and friends shows at this new venue.

as for bobby, switching from project to project so fast for tours is touch and go when it comes to rehearsal. ratdog? i guess i've given up hope of some 'new' music from these guys with a good sound, not necessarily copying the GD sound. guess there's no market for it.

I like the music he is playing in one of the first introduction videos.

You can read a lot about Meyer Sound in the book: Grateful Dead Gear - The Band's Instruments, Sound Systems, and Recording Sessions, From 1965 to 1995.

http://www.tristudio...ex/detail/id/15

this sounds pretty cool. no lead guitar. that would be very cool to my ears.

different stokes, I guess. No lead guitar or no good lead guitar, for me, has been the main problem plaguing every Bob Weir side/solo project with the exception of Kingfish a long time ago. If there ain't no lead guitar, I'm just not interested.

different stokes, I guess. No lead guitar or no good lead guitar, for me, has been the main problem plaguing every Bob Weir side/solo project with the exception of Kingfish a long time ago. If there ain't no lead guitar, I'm just not interested.

no no dude, i'm totally with you on this. just quite trying have no lead guitar sounds better than all the folks he's had in the past. actual solos ended with jerry. everyone else who's filled that spot since then has just noodled at best.

this has been so frustrating, especially in ratdog. why is mark karan even in the band? anyway, i love listening to bobby's angular rhythm playing and think it would have been cool if he had selectively rehearsed some dead tunes for ratdog or rearranged them for a new context...bob, piano, sax, bass, drums or something. (i know they had a sax player for a while...)