no no dude, i'm totally with you on this. just quite trying have no lead guitar sounds better than all the folks he's had in the past. actual solos ended with jerry. everyone else who's filled that spot since then has just noodled at best.

this has been so frustrating, especially in ratdog. why is mark karan even in the band? anyway, i love listening to bobby's angular rhythm playing and think it would have been cool if he had selectively rehearsed some dead tunes for ratdog or rearranged them for a new context...bob, piano, sax, bass, drums or something. (i know they had a sax player for a while...)

Weir does do GD tunes in new contexts in Ratdog, though. Listen to the Half-Steps, Sugar Mags, Terrapin, etc. He stops and adds stuff in non-traditional spots. I think Ratdog shakes it up a good deal. Mark karan isn't a favorite of mine either but it's really not a lead-guitar based band anyway. The horns and rhythm are the thing with most Ratdog stuff. That said, I really liked when Kimock filled in for a sick Karan a few years ago. definitely added a different dynamic.

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a 2010 Rolling Stone article Weir explained why the band had split into two camps. "Phil and I were boldly pursuing new musical directions onstage, and some of the guys weren't picking up on it," Weir said. "Phil and I are way more current."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/videos/new-and-hot/previously-unseen-jerry-garcia-interview-footage-revealed-20110411#ixzz1jrfRhjF7

i think it's the other way around. with out mickey and billy everything is at the god awful slow to mid tempo. not to mention, there really is no jamming or solos per se in furthur. john hit's some garciaisms during songs, but he is really in over his head. he's bar band level and has no business playing with them.

sorry, sometimes i just get pissy about this stuff. all of them have just totally lost their way since jerry died.

i know it, yet i still kinda dig it.i'm not sure i understand it, myself.

and you should see that furthur forum, it's like the second coming......

i think Shug just Shrugged.

:lol

no no dude, i'm totally with you on this. just quite trying have no lead guitar sounds better than all the folks he's had in the past. actual solos ended with jerry. everyone else who's filled that spot since then has just noodled at best.

this has been so frustrating, especially in ratdog. why is mark karan even in the band? anyway, i love listening to bobby's angular rhythm playing and think it would have been cool if he had selectively rehearsed some dead tunes for ratdog or rearranged them for a new context...bob, piano, sax, bass, drums or something. (i know they had a sax player for a while...)

I gotcha.

sorry, sometimes i just get pissy about this stuff. all of them have just totally lost their way since jerry died.

Yeah for the most part the bands from former GD members have not been that great to my ears EXCEPT for the Phil and Friends lineup with Jimmy Herring and Warren Haynes. Sometimes the jamming and blazing dual lead guitars sounded as good as the Dead in 1973. i believe Phil, out of all the GD members, was and is the foremost proponent of spontaneous improv and jamming, with his musique concrete and jazz background. I thought that quality was readily apparent in that particular Phil and Friends lineup. They played some monster shows in 2000, New year's eve that year was killer. I'd rather see that line up than anything Further or The Dead or The Other Ones or whatever they called themselves did. In someways I feel that Phil is the true remaining torchbearer for the spirit of the Grateful Dead.

I'd like to see this:

Grateful Dead Exhibit Coming to Rock Hall of Fame

Among the highlights of the more than 100 artifacts are five Jerry Garcia guitars -- including his Travis Bean TB5 -- two guitars from Bob Weir, one being his customized Ibanez "cowboy" axe, and one of Mickey Hart's custom-painted drum kits, along with parts of the Dead's famed Wall of Sound PA rig. Original lyric manuscripts for "Truckin'," "Sugaree" and "Box of Rain" will be on display, as well as the Father Time robe the late promoter and onetime Dead manager Bill Graham wore for New Year's Eve shows in the San Francisco Bay Area and the Grateful Dead Hotline answering machine. Sound system designer Owsley "Bear" Stanley and concert tape archivist Dick Latvala contributed notes and other materials.

:lol

I gotcha.

Yeah for the most part the bands from former GD members have not been that great to my ears EXCEPT for the Phil and Friends lineup with Jimmy Herring and Warren Haynes. Sometimes the jamming and blazing dual lead guitars sounded as good as the Dead in 1973. i believe Phil, out of all the GD members, was and is the foremost proponent of spontaneous improv and jamming, with his musique concrete and jazz background. I thought that quality was readily apparent in that particular Phil and Friends lineup. They played some monster shows in 2000, New year's eve that year was killer. I'd rather see that line up than anything Further or The Dead or The Other Ones or whatever they called themselves did. In someways I feel that Phil is the true remaining torchbearer for the spirit of the Grateful Dead.

yeah, phil and friends did tighten up with that line up. saw a couple of those shows. not too bad. plus they had an album.

i know it, yet i still kinda dig it.i'm not sure i understand it, myself.

and you should see that furthur forum, it's like the second coming......

yeah, i'll never give up. i will know exactly what weir, phil etc. are up to until i or they die. it's in my blood and i keep hoping for some magic:)

btw-what furthur forum? they love john?

About the same thing he said in the Relix interview years ago - they own the music, someone else owns the film, and from time to time they talk about it. I bet they want more money than the band/Rhino is willing to pay.

I suppose if I want to buy one of the new Dave's Picks - I have to remember they are only going to make 12,000 of them now. I guess they really want people to go for the 100 buck subscription deal.

anyone think Jerry was never the same after Brent died?? i dont think he ever recovered. especially musically

I changed after Brent died. It has been difficult to think of rabid Dead fans in a positive way ever since his death due to the following experience. In July 1990, I was vacationing alone in Germany, Switzerland and France. When I was in Frankfurt, Germany hanging out in the area with all of the beer gardens, I had a bizarre encounter. I had hair halfway down my back at the time, so I can only assume that I looked like a Deadhead. Why? Because I was suddenly accosted by a German dude and he said, "Have you heard the news, brother?". I replied, "What news?". He put a hand on my shoulder, looked me in the eye and said, "We've lost Brent". "Brent who?". "Brent Mydland". With a confused look, I replied "What are you talking about?". With an incredulous look, he said, "The Dead's keyboardist has died, man.". I don't recall exactly

what I said but it was something to the effect of "Oh. That's too bad. Sorry, dude". He walked away and appeared to spread the word.

I hadn't thought of that in years but it is quite a clear memory. I wish that I knew why he spoke to me in English rather than German. I guess that I not only looked like a Deadhead but like an American Deadhead. What a weirdo. From then on, it has been tough for me to take the whole Grateful Dead scene seriously. Definitely they were/are some talented musicians but Jesus!

yeah, phil and friends did tighten up with that line up. saw a couple of those shows. not too bad. plus they had an album.

yeah, i'll never give up. i will know exactly what weir, phil etc. are up to until i or they die. it's in my blood and i keep hoping for some magic:)

btw-what furthur forum? they love john?

its on the furthur.net under the community section. pretty fun!

About the same thing he said in the Relix interview years ago - they own the music, someone else owns the film, and from time to time they talk about it. I bet they want more money than the band/Rhino is willing to pay.

I suppose if I want to buy one of the new Dave's Picks - I have to remember they are only going to make 12,000 of them now. I guess they really want people to go for the 100 buck subscription deal.

the setlist for the first release is incredible.

I changed after Brent died. It has been difficult to think of rabid Dead fans in a positive way ever since his death due to the following experience. In July 1990, I was vacationing alone in Germany, Switzerland and France. When I was in Frankfurt, Germany hanging out in the area with all of the beer gardens, I had a bizarre encounter. I had hair halfway down my back at the time, so I can only assume that I looked like a Deadhead. Why? Because I was suddenly accosted by a German dude and he said, "Have you heard the news, brother?". I replied, "What news?". He put a hand on my shoulder, looked me in the eye and said, "We've lost Brent". "Brent who?". "Brent Mydland". With a confused look, I replied "What are you talking about?". With an incredulous look, he said, "The Dead's keyboardist has died, man.". I don't recall exactly

what I said but it was something to the effect of "Oh. That's too bad. Sorry, dude". He walked away and appeared to spread the word.

I hadn't thought of that in years but it is quite a clear memory. I wish that I knew why he spoke to me in English rather than German. I guess that I not only looked like a Deadhead but like an American Deadhead. What a weirdo. From then on, it has been tough for me to take the whole Grateful Dead scene seriously. Definitely they were/are some talented musicians but Jesus!

interesting story. cool how the guy just kind of knew who to talk to.

the band really was different after brent. vince was in over his head, but damn if i still didn't go to as many shows as i could. i just LOVED it so much. we all agreed to show up at certain places and the boys would come out and play and we all danced. so great. i just love love love listening to jerry garcia play guitar. add in phil, bob, brent, rhythm devils and it just worked for me. at the end, there were some gems at each show. the last MSG run was really fun. what i'd give to see a victim second set opener right now with jerry...damn i hated when bob called that song to open the 2nd set...but i still loved it :-) and i swear to god, for the last year looks like rain followed me around. i couldn't shake it! i wish eyes or scarlet-fire had followed me around like that one. :-)

listening to the egypt shows. very very mellow. very nice :-)

Wasn't this guy just trying to reach out for connection in a time of sorrow to someone whom he mistakenly though he had something in common with? Sounds like a pretty normal human reaction to me. One aspect of Deadhead culture is that the concept of friend and family was much broader than it is for most Anglo-Westerners. If that makes Deadheads weirdos in your eyes, then I guess that says alot about you.

Wasn't this guy just trying to reach out for connection in a time of sorrow to someone whom he mistakenly though he had something in common with? Sounds like a pretty normal human reaction to me. One aspect of Deadhead culture is that the concept of friend and family was much broader than it is for most Anglo-Westerners. If that makes Deadheads weirdos in your eyes, then I guess that says alot about you.
You are correct. It does say alot about me. I love music. It has played an important role in my life since childhood, thanks mom and dad, but I have never felt so connected to a band that my admiration for the band and it's music became my life. I cannot relate to that. Therefore, to me, it was strange - a definition of weird - to be approached by a complete stranger telling me that someone I had no connection to, had died. I agree with you that, to this individual, it was as though a family member had died and he was simply sharing the bad news with other family members. I can certainly understand his actions but I cannot relate to them. My father died when I was 15. I was at a friend's house tossing a football in the street. My sister pulled up in her truck and got out. She put a hand on my shoulder and told me that our father was dead. That was not weird. My experience in Frankfurt was.

If a Wilco member died, I would not react as if a family member had died. Hypothetically if a fan of Wilco approached me with grave concern because I had on, say, a Wilco shirt and proceeded to tell me of a member's death in a "Frankfurt" manner, I would find that odd. If they simply said, "Hey, I noticed your shirt. I just heard that _______ died". I would not find that odd. People are different. That is a good thing. To me, spending your time approaching strangers in a public place and telling them that a member of your favorite band died makes you a weirdo. I am guilty as charged.

I now realize that the way that I relayed the "Frankfurt incident" could be seen as offensive to this thread's contributors. I sincerely apologize for that. I wasn't even thinking about this being a Dead thread. I just read about Brent Mydland's death and a memory flood occurred. I should have either not posted it or done so in an inoffensive manner. Again, I apologize for offending any of you. I have never meet any VC Dead threaders. But if one of them would do as the Franfurt gentleman did, I admit that I likely would label them as weird.

I did see the Dead once when I was 14 or 15. That would have been in 1977 or 78. The show was in Tampa or possibly St. Petersburg. In all seriousness, did I likely see a classic show?

You are correct. It does say alot about me. I love music. It has played an important role in my life since childhood, thanks mom and dad, but I have never felt so connected to a band that my admiration for the band and it's music became my life. I cannot relate to that. Therefore, to me, it was strange - a definition of weird - to be approached by a complete stranger telling me that someone I had no connection to, had died. I agree with you that, to this individual, it was as though a family member had died and he was simply sharing the bad news with other family members. I can certainly understand his actions but I cannot relate to them. My father died when I was 15. I was at a friend's house tossing a football in the street. My sister pulled up in her truck and got out. She put a hand on my shoulder and told me that our father was dead. That was not weird. My experience in Frankfurt was.

If a Wilco member died, I would not react as if a family member had died. Hypothetically if a fan of Wilco approached me with grave concern because I had on, say, a Wilco shirt and proceeded to tell me of a member's death in a "Frankfurt" manner, I would find that odd. If they simply said, "Hey, I noticed your shirt. I just heard that _______ died". I would not find that odd. People are different. That is a good thing. To me, spending your time approaching strangers in a public place and telling them that a member of your favorite band died makes you a weirdo. I am guilty as charged.

I now realize that the way that I relayed the "Frankfurt incident" could be seen as offensive to this thread's contributors. I sincerely apologize for that. I wasn't even thinking about this being a Dead thread. I just read about Brent Mydland's death and a memory flood occurred. I should have either not posted it or done so in an inoffensive manner. Again, I apologize for offending any of you. I have never meet any VC Dead threaders. But if one of them would do as the Franfurt gentleman did, I admit that I likely would label them as weird.

I did see the Dead once when I was 14 or 15. That would have been in 1977 or 78. The show was in Tampa or possibly St. Petersburg. In all seriousness, did I likely see a classic show?

i was sad when garcia died, but it also was a relief. it was a struggle in the end. also sad about how vince died.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/bill-kreutzmann-jerry-garcia-wasn-t-really-happy-during-grateful-deads-end-20120117

Nice interview with Bill Kreutzmann.

You say you can't retire from music. All of the other remaining members of the Grateful Dead seem to feel the same way. Do you think if Jerry Garcia was still around that the Grateful Dead would still be touring?

No, I don't think so. I think that Jerry had gotten kind of bored with the Grateful Dead, and it was sort of like a marriage that had maybe gone on too long. And other people in the band wanted to start to express themselves in their bands and so forth and so on, that I'm pretty sure Jerry would've stopped playing in the Grateful Dead. I think a lot of it, I hate to say, was really a financial obligation. He needed to earn the money for some things and that's too bad. But it's hard. He was a true artist and I can tell you he wasn't really happy playing in the Grateful Dead at the end. I hate to say that. I know the audience is going to hear me say that and go, "Oh, that's not true," but if people really think about some of the shows that were there in the last year and some of the troubles that poor Jerry had, they know that I'm not BS'ing.

Also, I finally watched the entire Sunshine Daydream dvd - watching them perform the Dark Star was great.

name='Analogman' timestamp='1327245

Did you notice the naked dude perched above him on the left?

:lol Yes I did - it appeared that someone gave him a pair a shorts, eventually. I can't imagine all the "weird" stuff they saw from the stage through the years. I would think it would be a bit weird to have a naked dude standing over your shoulder while you are playing, but I am kinda thinking it just another day at work for them, especially during that era.

I wonder if there more footage of the performance - below is the link, that I watched. It's a little over an hour long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6grV_WPWD-c

There are parts missing.

This is the version I have:

Video: Capture was performed by Dan Blank using Joe Estades vhs tape (2nd generation vhs of original).

Audio: Bertha Remaster of the Braverman/Dank 16 track source.

SBD>>MR>>DAT>>SS>>CDA>>EAC>>SHN>>DAW(Bertha)>>CDA/SHN - Sound A (Between songs from the two-track master reels)

Digitally remastered using a custom built, Dual-DAW, nicknamed Bertha, by jashley@deadacated.com on January 4, 2004.

Thanks to Peter Braverman for his fine work.

From the Braverman text file and prior to Bertha Remastering:

Source: SBD>16 Track Master Reels>DAT@44.1K>DAT>DAT>WAV>SHN

DAT>WAV via Sony SDT-9000 DDS drive using VDAT 0.6f

WAV was edited in Soundforge 4.0 (crossfading of reel cuts between

songs, no music was disturbed except for Sugar Magnolia)

WAV>SHN via CDWAV 1.53>MKW 0.97b