A taper friend of mine taped the 92 Compton shows, it was great to hear it when he came back to Chicago. I kind of miss those of days of waiting to hear a show, it was always a bit of an event.

I been watching the Ratdog TRI show - the second set is pretty damn good.

• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A taper friend of mine taped the 92 Compton shows, it was great to hear it when he came back to Chicago. I kind of miss those of days of waiting to hear a show, it was always a bit of an event.

I been watching the Ratdog TRI show - the second set is pretty damn good.

where are you watching the rat dog show?

never saw compton, but i always had a good feeling about them when i listened. busting out HCSunshine was such a treat!

as far as tapes go, didn't you always have that friend who got every damn tape. we'd hang out and listen and make tapes of tapes. TDK or Maxell's only man.

as far as tapes go, didn't you always have that friend who got every damn tape. we'd hang out and listen and make tapes of tapes. TDK or Maxell's only man.

Yeah - that was the event that I was alluding to. It was fun: some drinks, a smoke, and let machines roll. I always used Maxell.maxell_xl_2_90_b%5B1%5D.jpg

Steve Kimock and Mark Karen were on guitars. Sorry, I should have posted a link last night.

That's a repeat of a recent show from TRI. Kimock was too low, imo, but I thought it was pretty good stuff. Liked the dual horns, too.

That's a repeat of a recent show from TRI. Kimock was too low, imo, but I thought it was pretty good stuff. Liked the dual horns, too.

I agree about Kimock being too low in the mix. I forgot how goofy Kenny Brooks is while he is on stage - his expressions always crack me up. Weir sounded good, too.

Steve Kimock and Mark Karen were on guitars. Sorry, I should have posted a link last night.

no problem. surprised to see kimock. too bad he was so low in the mix. ratdog is so good at the blues songs and the bluesy versions of bob tunes, but they butcher the jerry songs. wonder if they'll ever do another album. i loved that first one from 2000. love that tune money for gasoline.

no problem. surprised to see kimock. too bad he was so low in the mix. ratdog is so good at the blues songs and the bluesy versions of bob tunes, but they butcher the jerry songs. wonder if they'll ever do another album. i loved that first one from 2000. love that tune money for gasoline.

Why surprised to see Kimock? Wasserman was in there too. Best I've seen Ratdog before is when Karan was out sick a few years ago and Kimock filled in for him. Listen to the Money for Gasoline from Red Rocks with Kimock. Fantastic stuff. Whole show is excellent, actually:

http://www.archive.org/details/ratdog2007-07-24.dpa-4channelmix.flac16

I agree, to an extent, that Ratdog does the "jerry" tunes injustice.However, tunes like "Birdsong" and "Dark Star" allow for ample room to get the horns and spacey vibe going.

Speaking of 1980...just listened to 9/2 9/3 9/4 and 9/6....very nice run....

they were awesome during that period. Early Brent years, Jerry hadn't fallen off the deep end yet.

I typically stick to '71 through '83 Dead, although there is some great stuff between '87 and '90

9/4 was my first ever Dead show.

(I had seen the Jerry Garcia Band earlier that summer.)

I was 8 when Jerry died, so that ship sailed before my time.

But two of my first "jam band" shows were Phil and Friends at Aragon Ballroom, and The Terrapin Station Reunion at Alpine Valley

I thought the Bird Song and Days Between were pretty good in the TRI set. Chimenti plays some really piano on Days Between - the song does lag towards the end of it, though.

I made it to the Terrapin Station Reunion, too - fun weekend.

Early Brent years, Jerry hadn't fallen off the deep end yet.

I agree with this. Most all the shows I saw were during '82 - '84, and although they could be hit or miss then, I always thought they were awesome.

Looking back, I realize how incredibly lucky I was to have seen those shows (and how lucky I am to have copies of them now, too).

My fave Here Comes Sunshine, 11 minutes long, exquisite guitar interplay between Jerry and Bobby, clean tones, crisp picking and tightly synchronized, building to nice crescendos with excellent playing from Keith and Phil, too: http://www.archive.o...erafin.198.shnf

HCS was such a jam vehicle back then.

why in the name of all that is holy does bob weir wear a moustache like that? seriously? give me one reason!

i'll tell you guys the show that turned me on for good. one of the hampton 88 shows. the sugar mag>scarlet> fire one. maybe a stir it up. im telling you that shit was epique. i looked around and people were huggin each other and thats when i knew something was happening. i was 17 with a head full of LSD

Coliseum, Hampton VA (3/27/88)

Iko Iko

Little Red Rooster

Stagger Lee

Ballad of a Thin Man

Cumberland Blues

Me and My Uncle

To Lay Me Down

Let it Grow

Sugar Magnolia

Scarlet Begonias

Fire on the Mountain

Estimated Prophet

Eyes of the World

drums

Goin' Down the Road Feelin' Bad

I Need a Miracle

Dear Mr. Fantasy

Sunshine Daydream

U.S. Blues

why in the name of all that is holy does bob weir wear a moustache like that? seriously? give me one reason!

i'll tell you guys the show that turned me on for good. one of the hampton 88 shows. the sugar mag>scarlet> fire one. maybe a stir it up. im telling you that shit was epique. i looked around and people were huggin each other and thats when i knew something was happening. i was 17 with a head full of LSD

Coliseum, Hampton VA (3/27/88)

Iko Iko

Little Red Rooster

Stagger Lee

Ballad of a Thin Man

Cumberland Blues

Me and My Uncle

To Lay Me Down

Let it Grow

Sugar Magnolia

Scarlet Begonias

Fire on the Mountain

Estimated Prophet

Eyes of the World

drums

Goin' Down the Road Feelin' Bad

I Need a Miracle

Dear Mr. Fantasy

Sunshine Daydream

U.S. Blues

were those the shows where they were billed as the Warlocks because the Grateful Dead was banned from hampton?