• Replies 995
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pigpen drops a couple of f-bombs during Lovelight and Weir (incredulously) asks "Pigpen, did you just say fuck?". Nice short tape.

Band Grateful Dead Venue Fillmore East Location New York, NY Date 9/19/70 - Saturday

% Dark Star [25:24] > Saint Stephen [6:18] > Drums [0:36] > Not Fade Away [4:46] > Darkness Jam [0:53] > China Cat Jam [0:40] > Jam [0:42] > Not Fade Away [1:48] > Turn On Your Lovelight [20:22] ; [1:32]

Today I treated myself and picked up the Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab pressing of Wake of the Flood (limited edition number 000819 for you sports fans keeping score at home). All I can say is "holy shit!". I'm now going to have to go get me the MoFi pressing of Live Dead. Like right away.

That looks like it would be a fun day. In the past, I use to head to CO at least once a year - never been to Quixotes, though. Looks like a cool place.

Are all the groups going to play the same set-lists that was played in 73?

Yeah, they did the same set lists. We left after the GD set (which opened the original Watkins Glen show, too) as we had been at the sister bar since about 1 that day for a bday party.

Pigpen drops a couple of f-bombs during Lovelight and Weir (incredulously) asks "Pigpen, did you just say fuck?". Nice short tape.

Listened to a 39 minute Lovelight last week from The Warehouse in New Orleans that was done the day after their bust (needed scratch for legal fees I believe). Pretty interesting time changes in that one...

The Veneta, Oregon recording from 1972 has been in my car for weeks now. It's been my only soundtrack for driving and I just haven't tired of it. The Playing In The Band jam is quite extraordinary, particularly the re-entry into the song. I haven't seen much footage of the show (I know it's all there on the youtube) but I shall one day soon be locating a dvd copy and treating myself to a few hours of bliss one fine afternoon...

Bird Song from Veneta is pretty damn good, too. There was a lethargic yet purposeful trippiness to the jams on that day. It feels alot like a hot summer day in a field out in the country...I mean the music perfectly matched the specialness of the setting and circumstances. Great Grateful Dead show for sure!

8.27.1972 is phenomenal. My favorite portions include the China Cat transition to Rider with the Weir solo followed by the amazing Jerry solo, the insane Playin' in the Band; and the Dark Star. The Dark Star is great but others from around that date are a bit better in my opinion...(7.18.1972 - wow)

8.27.1972 is phenomenal. My favorite portions include the China Cat transition to Rider with the Weir solo followed by the amazing Jerry solo, the insane Playin' in the Band; and the Dark Star. The Dark Star is great but others from around that date are a bit better in my opinion...(7.18.1972 - wow)

Few GD moments get me off like the China->Rider this era ('73, moreso) due to the Feelin' Groovy transition jam.....

Everything about that Veneta show is off the hook great. The word has always been that Garcia was heavily dosed that day, and watching him play in that Sunshine Daydream movie, he certainly has the look of a man deep into some Lysergic. So many highlights in that show: China/Rider, Greatest Story, Playin, jack Straw, the naked guy in the tree behind Garcia...

...and the Greatest STory...

For me the highlight of hte 8.27.1972 show is the playin jam. The Europe tour had some extended crazy playin' spaces, but 8.27.1972 truly one of hte first extended (20 minute) playin' jams laced with pure bliss and mania and sorrow and desire all in one jam...The other highlights of 8.27.1972 (chider , dark star, etc) were truly highlights, but for the band, this was one of the first truly ephemeral playin' in hte bands...indeed, they now had (for the time being through 1974), a first set dark star / other one in playin in the band...the band was reaching their camelot era...keith was pushing jerry in ways the band never thought possible in improv jams, donna added another harmony layer, and jerry - well - jerry was reaching heights likely never imagined...and it was only august...they still had the whole of Fall 1972 to explore...yow

1972+Jerry+color.jpg

if we are talking 82, my first show and one of my favs

04-18-82 Hartford Civic Center, Hartford, Ct. (Sun)

1: Bertha> Promised, FOTD> C. C. Rider, Ramble On, Me & My Uncle> Mexicali, Althea> L. L. Rain, Big RxR Blues, Let It Grow

2: Cold Rain> Samson, Ship Of Fools, Playin> Eyes> Drumz> Phil's Earthquake Space> Other One> Black Peter> Sugar Magnolia> Playin> Sunshine Daydream

E: Don't Ease

And yes there was a time when hearing touch of grey was a pleasure-up to about 86.

Listening to the above show, now.

Finally watched the above rendition of the Veneta show - I think it best footage of them performing - definitely needs an official release.

Listening to the above show, now.

Finally watched the above rendition of the Veneta show - I think it best footage of them performing - definitely needs an official release.

Official release has not happened, I've heard, because the Dead have rights to the music, but the filmmakers have rights to the video footage and the two parties apparently cannot come to a business agreement. This may have been discussed in this very thread a ways back. Too bad, IMO, its a better representation of how good the Dead could be live than The Grateful Dead Movie.

I agree that it's better than the GD Movie, too.

I may agree with that, but have you seen the extra footage on disc 2 of the DVD release of The GD Movie? Straight out uninterrupted footage of them playing, without the cutaways, interviews, etc of the movie. I'm away from my house now and can't remember what's on there (I think a China/Rider, Other One, a Mind Left Body jam?) but i know it's Outstanding footage from a classic run of shows.

Disc 2 is definitely outstanding, I just perfer 72 to 74.

Disc 2 includes:

Over one and half hours of previously unseen performance footage including performances of; Uncle John's Band, Sugaree, The Other One>Spanish Jam>Mind Left Body Jam>The Other One, Scarlet Begonias, China Cat Sunflower>I Know You Rider, Dark Star and Weather Report Suite