Paste has "Born To Die Alone"

Very nice JT. My problem with many of the songs on WTA was that there was too much 'forced' rhyming and random phrases thrown together (i.e. like listening to an Oasis album) to the point of irritation. This on the other hand, flows properly and sounds natural as a song. I could also imagine it more up-tempo, so all bets are off as to how it may sound as a Wilco track.

(As an aside, some of my favourite songs don't even have rhyming lyrics at all - when they are interesting enough and the tune is strong enough that's fine e.g. alot of Weller's stuff with The Jam)

Guest Speed Racer

kinda reminds me of something in the same vain as impossible germany and one wing

:lol Funny slip of the keyboard there if you're not into either of those songs. I still haven't had a chance to listen to this yet, and I'm a bit anxious based on my opinions of the previous two albums. Hopefully I'll remember to give it a listen this evening.

anyone care to help transcribe the lyrics? i know i've butchered this, but it's a start. i really like this song, and am eager to hear how it will translate to a wilco song.

I have heard the (?) worry of the gospel

very fast across the void

i have married broken spoke charging smoke winds

spit and swallowed opioids

i am the driver at the wheel of the horror

marching circles at the gate

my eyes have seen the fury

so flattered by (fear?)

tonight i'd rather count the warm fumes eternally

subtract the silence of myself

i would rather choose the middle mind of mystery

reverse the riddle for my health

i want (wine's?) strange overpowering

toss the chimneys in the sea

i believe i've seen the finger divine extremity

please come closer to the feathers smooth lens fly

sadness is my luxury

will you ever choose the cold calm before i die

more aware of it than me

(with vows?) blowing stone

the kids are unabashed

loneliness postponed

mine eyes deceiving glory

i was born to die alone

I've listened to this 5-6 times now. First impression: Jeff is often at his best mixing dark lyrics with a bouncy melody, and the bounce here feels less forced than much of WTA. So far, so good.

anyone care to help transcribe the lyrics? i know i've butchered this, but it's a start. i really like this song, and am eager to hear how it will translate to a wilco song.

I have heard the (?) worry of the gospel

i have married broken spoke charging smoke winds

i am the driver at the wheel of the horror

my eyes have seen the fury

so flattered by (fear?)

tonight i'd rather count the warm fumes eternally

i would rather choose the middle mind of mystery

i want (wine's?) strange overpowering

i believe i've seen the finger divine extremity

please come closer to the feathers smooth lens fly

sadness is my luxury

will you ever choose the cold calm before i die

more aware of it than me

(with vows?) blowing stone

the kids are unabashed

loneliness postponed

mine eyes deceiving glory

i was born to die alone

Good job. Some of the lines are pretty hard to make out. I pretty much got what you have with a few exceptions:

I have heard the war and worry of the gospel

I have merry broken spoke charging smoke wheels

I am the driver at the wheel of the horror

Mine eyes have seen the fury

so flattered by fate

Tonight I'd rather count the warm fuse internally (???)

I would rather choose the middle mind of mystery

I want one strange rise overpowering (????)

I believe I've seen the finger divine extremity

Please come closer to the feather smooth lens fly

sadness is my luxury

Will you ever choose the cold calm before I die

more aware of it than me

There's a blowing stone

The kids are unabashed

loneliness postponed

My eyes deceiving glory

I was born to die alone

your corrections look good, gtrplyr! i think we both might be mistaken on the 'blowing stone' line. i can't decipher what he's singing. there's something about the 3rd line too...

There's definitely a few lines that don't seem quite right yet. I think we may need to hear another recording or two to help clarify things.

Interesting that the vid's been pulled now and listed as "WMG" copyrighted material, which I'm assuming means Warner Music Group...would think that this new tune falls under the new label's copyright. Could be wrong.

Last night Jeff played it and afterward announced that it was a new song. He said the night (or two?) before, he made the mistake of announcing that it was a new song beforehand and then people recorded. He thought by announcing it afterward, he could avoid that problem. (He followed that up with, "Not really; I've given up all hope.") It was really pleasant not seeing a lot of glaring screens in the crowd last night, and I'm bummed Paste picked up the recording. It seems there are two choices for Jeff/Wilco: be hard-core about recording/cameras/etc., much to the ire of some attendees, or just let people do whatever they want and have your works-in-progress publicized across the web. I think it was last year at one of the Vic shows that Jeff announced the next song was written for Mavis Staples and that no one could record it--he was going to trust us. (He intimated, of course, that he knew he couldn't.) The guy in front of me immediately nudged his buddy and then started recording with his iPhone. Seriously, wtf?

From what I heard last night, I like the song a lot. Of course, who knows what it will sound like with the full band, and that's part of the excitement of waiting for the new album.

Guest Speed Racer

Well, if it helps make Jeff feel more human I think every one of us can identify to people not listening to our clear requests in the workplace.

When what you do is actually interesting, and you specifically ask people not to create a memento (especially when tracking the evolution of a song is one of the more exciting parts of collecting live recordings), it's only that much harder for people to comply.

Whoah! These lyrics have some of the collaged/nonsequitur feeling of the YHF stuff but with a clearer theme. Really well written.

Man, it's much too early to get "new Wilco album" fever. Best forget the impending excitement and live in the now.

When what you do is actually interesting, and you specifically ask people not to create a memento (especially when tracking the evolution of a song is one of the more exciting parts of collecting live recordings), it's only that much harder for people to comply.

Hear, hear! I notice this with small kids too, that telling them NOT to do something that they hadn't thought of puts the concept irresistibly in their heads. Some folks forget they can video on their phones until someone reminds them not to use it.

(Maybe this is a savvy way to get a new song to go viral, by forbidding it.)