Most Beautiful Songs that Break Your Heart

Great thread. I'd like to add The V-Roys (Scott Miller) song "Fade Away" IIRC, it was written for Scott's sister who had a terminal illness. The lines:

choke me up. Every. Single. Time.

I saw him perform this song last month in Carrboro, and it was just as powerful then as on first listen.

That is a great song with some truly heartbreaking lyrics. Wow. Thanks for sharing.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes "Thunder Road" totally hits me in a heart-breaking way. Especially the line that says "maybe we ain't that young anymore." And the way the wailing harmonica adds to the song's poignancy. I wouldn't describe the song as beautiful per se, but the effect is there just the same.

The three song run of Blue Beard, On My Way Back Home and Infinite Arms from the Band of Horses album Infinite Arms (most of the album, really). It's been a year now and I can't get over that album. There's this emotion pull that I can't explain. Simultaneously heartbreaking and comforting.

Reservations from those Wilco guys is another big one for me. I had a lot of trouble listening to that song for a while because I was nervous about how it made me feel.

The three song run of Blue Beard, On My Way Back Home and Infinite Arms from the Band of Horses album Infinite Arms (most of the album, really). It's been a year now and I can't get over that album. There's this emotion pull that I can't explain. Simultaneously heartbreaking and comforting.

Reservations from those Wilco guys is another big one for me. I had a lot of trouble listening to that song for a while because I was nervous about how it made me feel.

yeah there is something about infinite arms (the album) that speaks to the early thirtysomething in me. Great record

Great thread. I'd like to add The V-Roys (Scott Miller) song "Fade Away" IIRC, it was written for Scott's sister who had a terminal illness. The lines:

choke me up. Every. Single. Time.

I saw him perform this song last month in Carrboro, and it was just as powerful then as on first listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMyWbMm7vd8

Beautiful, beautiful song. I wish the v-roys had stayed together. Just Add Ice is a gem. I used to get emails from Miller, but he never seems to leave the south these days, so I gave it up.

Golden Smog - Please Tell My Brother

The Kinks - Strangers

Elliott Smith - Memory Lane

Excellent choices! :yes

I hadn't heard that V-Roys song before, but damn, it made me cry. I've lost friends like he lost his sister. Poignant and beautiful.

How about Nick Cave (following on from my other thread).

* Love Letter;

* Into My Arms (this one really does the trick)

* Far From Me;

* Gates to the Garden.

I agree with Scott Grrr too. A Little Rain is a real tear jerker. However, Tom's most beautiful heart breaker is the track 'I'm Still Here' from the Alice album. It's only about 90 seconds long but it will rip your heart out and stamp on it. For me its about an elderly couple who have been together for many years and the loneliness the old chap is feeling.

"You haven't looked at me that way in years

You dreamed me up and left me here

How long was I dreaming for

What was it you wanted me for

You haven't looked at me that way in years

Your watch has stopped and the pond is clear

Someone turn the lights back off

I'll love you til all time is gone

You haven't looked at me that way in years

But I'm Still here...."

Great stuff. Johnsburg, Illinois is also a beauty. Wish I could produce something that great for my wife. God bless you Tom.

Great thread. I'd like to add The V-Roys (Scott Miller) song "Fade Away" IIRC, it was written for Scott's sister who had a terminal illness.

I'd never heard this before either. I shouldn't have listened to it at work, especially since my wonderful boss was given one to three months to live last week after his 2 year battle with a brain tumor. Must go wipe my raccoon eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmlhDePSP1A

And speaking of the Mac I'd also add "Landslide" to the list.