The Whole Love: Speculation and (eventual) reactions

Seeing as how the "Almost" thread went off the tracks a bit, I figured we could start fresh!

Here are the facts:

1. The record HASN'T leaked yet.

2. Promo copies/streams HAVE been sent out to some in the industry.

3. A couple thin reviews have started popping up

4. Fans are anxiously awaiting... something! Be it a leak, stream, etc.

5. We are almost exactly 1 month away from the official release date

6. Tomorrow is the start of a new week.

7. We will all continue to hit refresh.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:badger

After getting four straight releases before the official release date, I think I might just wait until the official release date. If this page gets overwhelmed with comments about the new record if (and when) The Whole Love gets leaked, I might take a hiatus.

I am getting tired of having my enjoyment of the little moments derailed.

The internet is literally equal parts enhancer and detractor of enjoyment.

At this point I feel like the band is going to make it available for streaming before it leaks in the traditional (hah!) sense. For me it will be "officially" released whenever it's out there for listening. It's like Christmas, only you don't know what day it will be, and then bam! You get a wonderful present. I understand the desire to wait for the announced release date and all that goes along with it, but at the end of the day, in my opinion, it's about what's on the disc, files, etc. and not a calendar date (AmIrightDavidFricke!?). Plus the official release date will still bring some great things. In my case, a physical copy of the album, the bonus tracks, and 52 page booklet. ;)

I'm really surprised that there hasn't been a leak/stream of the album yet. Not that that's any fault of the band's; it's totally understandable why you'd want to keep a new release under wraps as long as possible, especially when it's on a newly formed label and starts a somewhat new chapter for Wilco's career. The tour starts on September 13th, and I can't imagine they won't be selling the record on each date of the tour, given that the album doesn't come out until almost half of the U.S. shows are finished. It seems like not selling the record to those crowds would result in some missed opportunities. I really hope that there's a stream before the tour starts, just so everyone can get acquainted with the new music before songs start to be premiered at shows, but it can't stay of the Internet that much longer after September 13th roles around.

I'm glad that most of the reviews have been positive, but most of the reviews for all of their records are positive. Even Wilco (The Album) was called album of the year by German Rolling Stone. Not that I hate that album, but I'm really hoping for some better songs this time around. I think what's bothered me about their last two records is that Tweedy's lyrics don't quite have the same emotional heft that they used to. As much fun as songs like "Walken," and "Hate it Here" are to see live, I'd rather hear him sing about almost anything other than folding laundry. "I Might" shows a positive lyrical shift I think. Even though the lyrics don't really have any literal meaning, I'm happy that Tweedy is experimenting with stream of conscious stuff again, rather than taking the overly literal approach that's apparent in the last two albums (especially Sky Blue Sky). I'm really hopeful for this one. All of the new songs played at Solid Sound sounded really good, and even one like "Dawned on Me", that sports some pretty straightforward lyrics, is more reminiscent of classics like "Outtasight (Outta Mind)" or "Say You Miss Me" rather than some of the weaker lyrical moments from the more recent albums.

Sorry for the long post, I've just been thinking about this a lot (probably too much). I agree that once it's out there, it's out there. I'll be excited to get my preorder in the mail, but as soon as I can listen to the album, I know I won't be able to wait. The Internet definitely hasn't made me more patient, but I don't think that has to be a bad thing. Leaks of Wilco albums have never kept me from buying physical copies, even if the albums haven't been exactly what I'd hoped.

I'm really hoping for some better songs this time around. I think what's bothered me about their last two records is that Tweedy's lyrics don't quite have the same emotional heft that they used to. As much fun as songs like "Walken," and "Hate it Here" are to see live, I'd rather hear him sing about almost anything other than folding laundry. "I Might" shows a positive lyrical shift I think. Even though the lyrics don't really have any literal meaning, I'm happy that Tweedy is experimenting with stream of conscious stuff again, rather than taking the overly literal approach that's apparent in the last two albums (especially Sky Blue Sky).

I completely agree with this sentiment. Glad I'm not the only one who feels this, because this band has been an important part of my musical life for a while now!

SBS was the first "new" album for me after I became a fan. I avoided that stream and made my first listen the day the vinyl showed up on my doorstep. Made the experience better. I streamed W(TA) day and night. Made receiving the LP a little less exciting. Save for "I Might" and the very brief appearances of some other tracks from TWL performed live at Solid Sound, I'm not sure I'll give it a listen before its release date...assuming a stream happens.

I hope the first listen for everyone is a stream on Wilcoworld, like AGIB and SBS (and I assume WTA though I don't recall that).

Me too, that's my favorite way their albums have been revealed in the past. It gives that first listen a communal sense even if you're listening to it alone in a room with headphones, which I really enjoy.

--Mike

Me too, that's my favorite way their albums have been revealed in the past. It gives that first listen a communal sense even if you're listening to it alone in a room with headphones, which I really enjoy.

--Mike

Like the live stream of the Boston show last year, when they first announced Solid Sound. That was so exciting. Nobody had any idea what Mass MoCA was and there were a ton of people all abuzz. So yeah, that would actually be a great way for Wilco to leak the new album. Only problem: we'd probably crash the website, and everyone (me included) would be pulling their hair out trying to get in.

Guest Speed Racer

I am getting tired of having my enjoyment of the little moments derailed.

Your use of the passive voice implies that someone other than you is responsible for this. Okay, someone else besides you and Wilco.

I may be in the minority, but I have no desire to hear a 'leak'. I look forward to opening the CD, look at the booklet and absorbing it the way it is meant to be. The problem I have is that I am going to the first show of the fall tour in Indy and will be unfamiliar with the new songs. Bob

Guest Speed Racer

I've been busy enough I probably won't listen to a leak, though I will download it with every intention of doing so. I enjoyed "I Might" and the "Almost" clip, but "Dawned on Me" sounds positively revolting (pun! pun!). The "rising in the east, setting in the west" crap more of what I was hoping they were steering away from this time.

Your use of the passive voice implies that someone other than you is responsible for this. Okay, someone else besides you and Wilco.

I thought you were a lawyer, not an english teacher.

Guest Speed Racer

I thought you were a lawyer, not an english teacher.

I was reallocating blame and kind of being a dick. How else am I supposed to prove myself to you?

she's a "cyclist"

"lesbian"

I imagine there will be a lengthy discussion regarding which bonus tracks should have made the cut and which album tracks we could do without. Or maybe it will seem perfect! Either way I'm excited to hear the differences between the two versions of Black Moon.

she's a "cyclist"

besides, if she were an English teacher she would have been all over this.

Probably. Thanks for pointing it out to me.

I was reallocating blame and kind of being a dick. How else am I supposed to prove myself to you?

"lesbian"

You've got nothing to prove dear.