Wilco -- 9/16/2011, Toronto, ON

Really fun show night one at Massey Hall. Someone needs to post the setlist as i wasnt keeping track. Tight 10:30 curfew made for a bit too short of a show starting as they did a bit after 830. I thought the band sounded really good and had never been to Massey Hall, a beautiful old venue with great sound. Nick Lowe played a really nice solo acoustic set similar to what i read of the 9/13 show and also did Alison. During the Wilco set the first encore as i recall was the Late Greats and Jeff sang the greatest singer had to be nick lowe instead of romeo. songs from tonight i remember in no order were: art of almost, i might, via chicago, IATTBYH, poor places, reservations, bull black nova, imposssible germany, one wing, I got you at the end of the century, handshake drugs, shot in the arm, whole love, jesus, war on war, dawned on me, late greats, and ended with im the man who loves you. they totally forgot the words to a song and unfortunatley i cant remember if it was red eyed and blue? Really looking forward to tomorrow night after an afternoon ballgame at the skydome.

hey totally forgot the words to a song and unfortunatley i cant remember if it was red eyed and blue? Really looking forward to tomorrow night after an afternoon ballgame at the skydome.

It was She's A Jar, I think.

Seriously over zealous security dude actually threw out a guy for taking pictures. At one point he told people that it was ok to take pics with phones but not with cameras. Then he started going after everyone, phone or camera. Kind of distracting having him chasing down every person sneaking a photo.

Good show. Looking forward to tomorrow!

Really fun show night one at Massey Hall. Someone needs to post the setlist as i wasnt keeping track. Tight 10:30 curfew made for a bit too short of a show starting as they did a bit after 830. I thought the band sounded really good and had never been to Massey Hall, a beautiful old venue with great sound. Nick Lowe played a really nice solo acoustic set similar to what i read of the 9/13 show and also did Alison. During the Wilco set the first encore as i recall was the Late Greats and Jeff sang the greatest singer had to be nick lowe instead of romeo. songs from tonight i remember in no order were: art of almost, i might, via chicago, IATTBYH, poor places, reservations, bull black nova, imposssible germany, one wing, I got you at the end of the century, handshake drugs, shot in the arm, whole love, jesus, war on war, dawned on me, late greats, and ended with im the man who loves you. they totally forgot the words to a song and unfortunatley i cant remember if it was red eyed and blue? Really looking forward to tomorrow night after an afternoon ballgame at the skydome.

Just posted the complete setlists for both Wilco and Nick Lowe for Massey Hall, Night One here.

Nick was great again (FYI he did "All Men Are Liars" tonight, Donna). Could see most of the Wilco guys watching his set from just off stage. Hearing him do "Alison" was fantastic -- he hit just the right melancholic, almost wistful tone with his performance. So that was definitely a highlight for me. During Wilco's encore, I could see Nick watching from the wings and I thought tonight he might come out and join them on a song, whether it might be "I Love My Label" or "California Stars" or whatever, but Jeff said Nick wouldn't be coming out because they hadn't had enough time to work something up yet. Obviously it's going to happen at some point. In the end, Jeff simply thanked Nick again and dedicated the show-closing "I'm The Man Who Loves You" to him.

I won't get into Jeff's various lyrical struggles, but he had a bit of a rough night in that regard. I'm sure he was a bit annoyed at himself, but it can be endearing in some ways to know that he's human (and not reading lines off a teleprompter or something). It was just unfortunate that tonight his big flubs came when he was singing in tandem with John and/or Pat, so it was pretty obvious when Jeff forgot a line or something.

It's getting late, so the only other thing I wanted to mention was that I happened to catch a glimpse of a printed setlist and the one I saw had "One Sunday Morning" listed as the sole song of a second encore! So maybe look for that soon as the next song from the new record to make its live debut. Unfortunately it was crossed out (as was "Walken," in the first encore), which I assume was for time reasons. It seemed like the curfew was pretty hard at 10:30 p.m. Wilco went on around 8:40 p.m. and played pretty much until 10:30.

Oh, and it took a while, but finally this was a show at Massey Hall -- maybe the first I've seen -- where nearly the entire crowd stood. I think some people were initially disgruntled -- to cite one example, the man behind us seemed like he was going to have a stroke when people remained standing during "Reservations" -- but ultimately the standers won out, at least on this night. So kudos to you, Torontonians... :thumbup

And on a really final note for now, great to see you as always, Kalle! :cheers

I was amazed and enthralled and surprised last night at Massey Hall. I read someone's observation of the setlist of the first night of the tour that it seemed little was new. That the new tracks start the show and then it was back to the Wilco you know....

No way, this was Wilco rediscovered, Wilco streamlined and snarling, Wilco at the heart of being Wilco and loving it, Wilco brave enough to hammer away at an audience. There was tension and swagger and frenzy popping up and coming at you.

Everything soft and cuddly, introspective, observant and shy has been thrown to the side. Nothing from Woody Guthrie. Also no you and I, hate it here, country disappeared, muzzle of bees, hummingbird... I love those songs - but love the brooding darkness that this Wilco chapter seems to be dominated by.

I have had a pet theory in recent years that Bull Black Nova was a pivotal song in the early section of concerts. That it was a "persona" song, that Jeff was singing from the point of view of a troubled man with his elbows deep in a bad and bloody situation. Jeff will not joke or chat or respond to voices in the crowd until after Bull Black Nova. It is as if he has to keep himself in a dark corner until that song is wrung and thrown out at us. Last night I felt that Art of Almost was an opening song that was taking you on a journey into the land where that evil, distraught guy in BBNova lives. I was caught up right from the start- and fully expected BBNova to be the next song around 6 times. The fact that Wilco has the courage to stay dark and driving for so long and push BBNova so deep into the show was amazing to me.

It is as if they are revealing their core. Saying "see- this is what we have always been about musically , the dance on the edge of chord and discord" Lyrics are servants to our songs, to our sound. If you thought that the strange soundscapes and washes of sound and the feeling that a disembodied voice could break in at any time....Yankee... Hotel...., was a feature of YHF ten years ago, look again-listen again. It has always been lurking offstage. Glenn's drumming in Via Chicago summons up the discord, Nels' guitar playing brings mean bite in more unexpected places. When BBNova was reaching it's peak, so many in the crowd turned to see this big guy in the first balcony, old testament beard and t-shirt and he was up dancing and his arms where snaking and twisting. He was big enough to win a bar fight and yet he was talented and graceful in his motion. I thought "man, this is inspired, that Wilco have been raising the stakes of fury and tension and this guy has responded with dance" He was helping them raise the stakes even higher. I thought that Jeff's final words of BBNova, the "pick-up!!!" did not have to be as heated/screamed as I have heard in other concerts because the music was already there, the crowd was already there, hell our big beard dancer was already there. I hope I never forget the roar of the crowd at the end of that song. Wilco had produced their moment. I thought, hell, if you are not here, experiencing this, feeling this, thinking about where this band wants to take you, where the hell are you??

Oh and my pet theory about pivotal BBNova was encouraged by the fact that it was the first song following it - She's a Jar- that Jeff forgot the words to. I was saying to my wife later, that She's a Jar was a song that had puzzled me for years. That it was a song of beauty and warm music and soft waves, that it should have been a hit in the conventional sense, the kind of cliche song that people play at weddings and then Jeff sings "she begs me not to hit her". I used to think -why did he do that? He just hijacked his own song, the scene was set and then he just jarred it. I think I get the jar now. I think I understand that WIlco is a band/Jeff is a songwriter that knows where it/he is going. It won't be conventional, but you are invited to travel there. To that place where the unexpected tramples your small comforts. Where an artistic sensibility of what we are living through pushes away the escapist la la las of popular music.

She replied that it was the first Wilco song that she out and out loved. That might explain our marriage right there.

It's getting late, so the only other thing I wanted to mention was that I happened to catch a glimpse of a printed setlist and the one I saw had "One Sunday Morning" listed as the sole song of a second encore! So maybe look for that soon as the next song from the new record to make its live debut.

I really hope this makes it into the set by the time they hit my town. And to close the show with it, sweet creamy Jesus.

There are definite benefits to being a middle of the road stop in the tour of a new album.

I was amazed and enthralled and surprised last night at Massey Hall. I read someone's observation of the setlist of the first night of the tour that it seemed little was new. That the new tracks start the show and then it was back to the Wilco you know....

No way, this was Wilco rediscovered, Wilco streamlined and snarling, Wilco at the heart of being Wilco and loving it, Wilco brave enough to hammer away at an audience. There was tension and swagger and frenzy popping up and coming at you.

Everything soft and cuddly, introspective, observant and shy has been thrown to the side. Nothing from Woody Guthrie.

Yowser. You may have just made up my mind. We had been looking forward to a long weekend in Montreal all summer, but a bunch of stuff came up this past week that made an extended trip this weekend impossible. Our only remaining option is to make the 6 hour drive up on Sunday, back on Monday. I had been couching the decision in terms of "Is it crazy to drive 12 hours round-trip, crossing international borders, just to hear Art of Almost?" But you make it sound like we'd be getting so much more, so much more of what we're looking for. I WANNE BE HAMMERED AWAY AT!!! :headbonk

The Wilco you describe is the Wilco I adore. I accept and love all of Wilco, the whole Wilco, but it's the dark, unapologetic, hard-charging, balls out stuff that does it for me, especially live.

I find your BBN theory interesting. It just leaves me wondering why so much of The Whole Love is decidedly NOT that. Why not a whole album in the vein of BBN and AOA? It would make me feel so good. I would buy it ten times.

I agree on the album full of tense noisy song a la BBN. I could totally see Jeff, Nels and Jim O'Rourke cooking up some angular magic, but I guess with O'Rourke in Japan that would be a very long shot. I love King Crimson (most) and this could be something of that genus.

I find your BBN theory interesting. It just leaves me wondering why so much of The Whole Love is decidedly NOT that. Why not a whole album in the vein of BBN and AOA? It would make me feel so good. I would buy it ten times.

I only caught parts of The Whole Love stream, I was at a cottage in the Kawartha Highlands (Ontario) and it kept cutting out on me, so I can't truly answer to the theme of the album. But to have a contrast between a collection of new songs on a recording and then to take a few of those songs as the basis for a stunning concert- I know that I am going to see them again tonight and it was last night's concert that inspired that decision.

Of course I have to support your road trip to Montreal just to see them. Reminds me too much of my two Solid Sound trips- long drives and border crossings to see Wilco? I would include long treks through deserts, mountain climbs and river crossings as justified journeys....but then again I am Canadian.

Oh man I really thought and hoped Red-Eyed and Blue and I Got You (At The End of the Century) were put on the shelf this tour. I am so sick of them. End with somehting else.

Those are two of my all time favorite Wilco songs either live or studio version. They can play them all the time as far as I'm concerned...

I have had a pet theory in recent years that Bull Black Nova was a pivotal song in the early section of concerts. That it was a "persona" song, that Jeff was singing from the point of view of a troubled man with his elbows deep in a bad and bloody situation. Jeff will not joke or chat or respond to voices in the crowd until after Bull Black Nova. It is as if he has to keep himself in a dark corner until that song is wrung and thrown out at us. Last night I felt that Art of Almost was an opening song that was taking you on a journey into the land where that evil, distraught guy in BBNova lives. I was caught up right from the start- and fully expected BBNova to be the next song around 6 times. The fact that Wilco has the courage to stay dark and driving for so long and push BBNova so deep into the show was amazing to me.

BBN is not one of my favorite Wilco songs because it basically make me feel anxious and there is a point in the song where it's too loud for me so I must cover my ears(live). Having said that I do think it is an amazing song but I just don't enjoy listening to it. Your BBN theory is wonderful to think about. I am super psyched to hear Art of Almost live. I want to be transported in that song

Thanks for posting concert comments everyone-getting very excited for Boston and NYC

Very good show (my 14th since 1996). A little short and a little sloppy (only show#2 so that's ok). Crowd sucked. Front middle section sat until Impossible Germany. Someone in the front said something to Jeff to which he replied, " you're sitting down...you bring it!". Also the four dorks behind me were batting 0.00 in predicting the next song and knew the first 4 words of every 2nd song. One guy was loudly giving his buddy an oral history of music until I shot him a look. Highlights: AOA, BBN, IG, REAB, IGY. Nick Lowe is a cool cat! Show 15 tonight.

Poor Places > Reservations > Bull Black Nova. interesting

That's partly awesome, but i also would have felt slightly cheated, they're literally teeing up for spiders with those first two, and not to hear it (even though BBN is awesome) would have been a downer. The setlist for this show looks pretty awesome though

Sounds like a fun show, but that's a pretty short set. I'll never understand why they don't just start curfew shows earlier. Isn't that something that should be figured out ahead of time, so they're not crossing songs off the setlist and playing 110 minute shows?

well, I went to this show last night, and it blew me away. I've seen Wilco 5 or 6 times now (I've sort of stopped counting), and they just get better and better. Art of Almost -> I Might alone was the highlight for me. I love this new album and the songs sounded so good live. In all the times I've seen Wilco, they've played 2 encores, so I was a bit surprised that it was "cut short". I heard that there are ridiculous curfews in Massey Hall, as mentioned above, about finishing by 10:30 or something like that. Well, that was the only "downside"... just that I thought it would be a bit longer. And MAN OH MAN, I can't believe One Sunday Morning was the omission. I would have LOVED to see that. But the show was great. Poor Places (one of my favourites) into Reservations! I had never heard Reservations live before and it was pretty awesome. I have tix for a different show tonight, so I sort of can't go see Wilco again. I'm disappointed now, because I REALLY want to go again. :(

My first Wilco show and I had an amazing time. I loved all the flubs, you can see that they have to battle through rust just like everyone else. The debacle that was "She's A Jar" was just so damn endearing, and when they finally kicked in it made the ending that much sweeter. However, I gotta say -- this show was waaaaay too short. Just over an hour and a half. Though what was played was fantastic so I really can't complain. They just left me wanting more, like any good band should I guess. I was able to get a pretty funny video of the first few minutes of "The Late Greats", before a very kind security guard told me that if I didn't turn my camera off, he'd kick me so hard I wouldn't be able to have children. On YouTube now, pretty funny stuff.

All I can add is that the show was fantastic. This had a different feel from the evening with show I attended. Just in your face rocking Wilco. My favorite kind of Wilco.

Some dude: "Come on!"

Tweedy: "Come on? We're bringing it motherfucker you're the one sitting down."

Also to the dude complaining about Red Eyed and Blue to I Got You: First time I saw that and it might have been my favorite part of the show. That's what they don't scrap that. Its awesome.

Someone mentioned in a prior thread they didn't recall credit cards being usable at the Massey Hall merch table.

Anyone have any issues with this is or is it cash only?

Also, isn't the curfew in this town 11:00 for some reason? I never understood that and I DEFINITELY don't understand 10:30. Where did that come from? I don't recall ever hearing that before.

Seriously over zealous security dude actually threw out a guy for taking pictures. At one point he told people that it was ok to take pics with phones but not with cameras. Then he started going after everyone, phone or camera. Kind of distracting having him chasing down every person sneaking a photo.

Good show. Looking forward to tomorrow!

While I agree that the security was a little over zealous about camera use, that guy got warned at least 5 times about taking pictures with his camera, he totally deserved getting thrown out. He even refused to get up for the longest time, plus it was pretty distracting when im trying to watch Nels totally kill it for Impossible Germany.. that's just disrespectful.

Thx for the setlist, bbop. Maybe we'll get "One Sunday Morning" for the encore tonight.

"Poor Places" > "Reservations" was fantastic. I was half expecting "Spiders" next, too, and was just as happy with "BBN".

There's a good chance I'm wrong but I don't think Jeff addressed the crowd until they were 9 songs in, following "She's A Jar", to joke about the flubbed lyrics. It was a great pace.

"Art of Almost" as the opener was perfect. Loved how Jeff starts off on vocals only, clutching his mic stand, shuffling/weaving between lines.

Not sure what the person just in front of Jeff was complaining about. I can't imagine what else he/she was expecting or wanted. As Loneliness Fighter expressed above (and far better than I'm capable of) the band was on fire and hammering one song after another. I think it was just after "Dawned On Me" (and right before a smoking "War On War") that Jeff said something along the lines of, "C'mon? What do you mean, 'C'mon?' Bring it! You're the one sitting down!" Exactly!