R.E.M. 1980-2011??

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did not get into Monster much when it came out, but recently I have been listening to it quite a bit. It is a big-time rock record - it sounds to me like Peter Buck wanted to rip it up on this record.

It’s jarring record considering it was after Automatic. I like monster it’s the first tour I saw R.E.M. on and strange currencies is an underrated track
  • 3 months later...

Monster 25th Anniversary details. Available Friday November 1st.

A five-CD, one-Blu-ray deluxe box set will include the original album, a special 2019 remix from Monster producer Scott Litt, a CD of previously unreleased demos from the album and a complete live 1995 performance captured in Chicago. The accompanying Blu-ray will offer Monster in both hi-resolution audio and 5.1 Surround Sound, as well as a host of video content: the 90-minute film Road Movie, which documents R.E.M.’s 1995 tour, and all six music videos from Monster

The collection will be packaged in a five-and-a-half-inch portfolio book, featuring liner notes by journalist Matthew Perpetua—with new insight from band members—and archival photographs. An expanded edition of Monster, offering the original album and the 2019 remixed version, will also be available on two 180-gram vinyl LPs or two CDs, both featuring alternate cover art originally created 25 years ago by longtime R.E.M. designer Chris Bilheimer. The remastered album will also be available as a standalone 180-gram vinyl LP, with Bilheimer’s original Monster art.

An advance single release of “What’s The Frequency, Kenneth? (Remix)” is available to stream or download today: In this remix, original Monster producer Scott Litt offers a completely fresh take on the song, giving fans a new way to experience the single that launched Monster around its original release.

DELUXE BOX SET TRACKLISTING:

Disc 1 (CD) – Monster (Remastered)

1.     What’s The Frequency, Kenneth? 
2.     Crush With Eyeliner 
3.     King Of Comedy 
4.     I Don’t Sleep, I Dream 
5.     Star 69 
6.     Strange Currencies 
7.     Tongue 
8.     Bang And Blame 
9.     I Took Your Name 
10.  Let Me In 
11.  Circus Envy 
12.  You    

Disc 2 (CD) – Monster (Demos)

1.     Pete’s Hit  
2.     Uptempo Mo Distortion  
3.     Uptempo Ricky  
4.     Harlan County with Whistling 
5.     Lost Song 
6.     AM Boo 
7.     Mike’s Gtr 
8.     Sputnik 1 Remix 
9.     Black Sky 4-14  
10.  Revolution 4-21 
11.  Rocker with vocal 
12.  Time Is On Mike’s Side 
13.  1Experiment 4-28 no vocal 
14.  Highland Fling 4-29 
15.  Cranky 4-29   

Disc 3 (CD) – Monster (Remixed) 

1.     What’s The Frequency, Kenneth? (Remix) 
2.     Crush With Eyeliner (Remix) 
3.     King Of Comedy (Remix) \
4.     I Don’t Sleep, I Dream (Remix) 
5.     Star 69 (Remix) 
6.     Strange Currencies (Remix) 
7.     Tongue (Remix) 
8.     Bang And Blame (Remix) 
9.     I Took Your Name (Remix) 
10.  Let Me In (Remix) 
11.  Circus Envy (Remix) 
12.  You (Remix)   

Disc 4 (CD) – Live in Chicago 6/3/95 – Monster 1995 Tour (Part One)

1.     What’s The Frequency, Kenneth?
2.     Circus Envy 
3.     Crush With Eyeliner 
4.     Near Wild Heaven 
5.     Welcome To The Occupation 
6.     Undertow 
7.     I Took Your Name 
8.     Strange Currencies 
9.     Me In Honey 
10.  Revolution 
11.  Tongue 
12.  Man On The Moon 
13.  Country Feedback 
14.  Monty Got A Raw Deal   

Disc 5 (CD) – Live in Chicago 6/3/95 – Monster 1995 Tour (Part Two)

1.     Losing My Religion 
2.     You 
3.     Departure 
4.     Orange Crush 
5.     Get Up 
6.     Star 69 
7.     Let Me In 
8.     Everybody Hurts 
9.     So. Central Rain (I’m Sorry) 
10.  Pop Song 89 
11.  Its The End Of The World As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)   

Disc 6 (Blu-ray

1.     Monster – 5.1 Surround Sound 
2.     Monster – Hi-Resolution Audio 
3.     Road Movie (concert film) 
4.     What’s The Frequency, Kenneth? (music video)
5.     Crush With Eyeliner (music video)
6.     Star 69 (music video)
7.     Strange Currencies (music video)
8.     Tongue (music video)
9.     Bang And Blame (music video)

I only want disc 2

It doesn’t look the same as say the recent Wilco deluxe editions that had fully formed songs. These look like demos where they’re tinkering around in the studio just based off of the titles. Maybe there are a few in there that will be memorable, but I can see myself playing it only once. It’s an interesting look into the process, but not something that has repeat quality for me. I’d much rather get songs that didn’t make the album.

I wish that Road Movie was extended for this release. It’ll be nice to have a Blu-ray though. I also had the VHS release. And you’re right. It did have some sort of MTV airing.

Cool: regarding being at that particular Chicago show in June 95. This is what I’m most excited for and surprised about. For sure, I thought that any live release would be the Milton Keynes show that was on FM that same summer.

Amazing to me that any show at Rosemont Horizon could be released commercially in any format given its horrendous acoustics.

So true.  I'm tempted to purchase the set just so that I can finally actually hear the show I attended. 

It doesn’t look the same as say the recent Wilco deluxe editions that had fully formed songs. These look like demos where they’re tinkering around in the studio just based off of the titles. Maybe there are a few in there that will be memorable, but I can see myself playing it only once. It’s an interesting look into the process, but not something that has repeat quality for me. I’d much rather get songs that didn’t make the album.

Me too but I do like demos

Yes, they played Wichita Lineman a few times. They released one of the live versions as a B-side, or maybe a Christmas single.

It’s on the Bittersweet Me cd single. According to setlist fm, it was played 6 times on the Monster Tour.

They also did an awesome version of Chris Isaak’s Wicked Game on that tour.

Cool! I was at their last show on that tour on 9-11-99. They did Wolves, Lower. My friend recorded the show and made a cd for me, but it’s lost in my cd collection. Didn’t get Wilco as opener. I think it was Spacehog. Pete Yorn did opening act duties in 2003. I forget who opened in 2004.

Pick your music streaming service to listen to the Monster EP which is 3 of the live tracks from the Chicago 1995 cd set: Welcome To The Occupation, Undertow, & Losing My Religion.

R.E.M. also just made available via Bandcamp an unreleased track for Hurricane Dorian victims: Fascinating. It’s an outtake from the Reveal sessions.

Yes spacehog was the opener also got lucky my show they played pilgrimage which was a real surprise!

Yes spacehog was the opener also got lucky my show they played pilgrimage which was a real surprise!

Great song! I’ve never heard that one live.

Looks like we also got the tour premiere of Radio Free Europe on 9-11-99. I somehow forgot about that.

Me too but I do like demos

I love demos and love Monster. I have always wondered how long the little instrumental at the end of Bang and Blame is, and if a longer version is on disc 2. I'm not really interested in the remastering. I listened to the remastered Kenneth and it sounded like they cut out one of the nice guitar fx sounds in the chorus. I believe it said in the press release that he actually used different takes and stuff for this 'remastering.' Maybe some of it will sound cool, but I like Monster as it is.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Today is R.E,M,’s 40th anniversary!

Yep. Forty years ago they played their first show at the old St. Mary's Episcopal Church in Athens. For a friend's birthday party. What I'd give to have been to some of those early shows.