R.E.M. 1980-2011??

You can see why they hung it up from this list. Nothing from beyond the 1990's until the 50's

Don't know if anything R.E.M. put out beyond the 90's is deserving of Top 50, but they had some gems in their last decade. 

Fave 5 R.E.M. Songs, Post-1990's:

1. We All Go Back To Where We Belong

2. Every Day Is Yours To Win

3. That Someone Is You

4. I'll Take The Rain

5. Beat A Drum

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know if anything R.E.M. put out beyond the 90's is deserving of Top 50, but they had some gems in their last decade. 

3. That Someone Is You

4. I'll Take The Rain

5. Beat A Drum

Nice list. I love "We All Go Back to Where We Belong." It's the perfect elegiac song to serve as the band's last.

As for the Slicing Up Eyeballs list, I took part in it and was glad to see that my favorite song "Fall on Me" made number one. 

3. That Someone Is You

4. I'll Take The Rain

5. Beat A Drum

I will have to check those out. I've never heard of any of them.

3. That Someone Is You

4. I'll Take The Rain

5. Beat A Drum

I've loved "I'll Take The Rain" since the first time I heard it. Good call. 

I was going to suggest a couple of songs off of "Up," but then saw it was released in 1998. 

With Berry departing the band, "Up", it seemed to me, forced the band to re-think how it would make unique sounds. I think the experimental sounds, combined with Stipe's lyrics of overcoming or keeping one's head above waters in bad times, makes "Up" one of their great records.

The early, jangly, mysterious R.E.M. is the best R.E.M. I think a vast majority of R.E.M. fans would agree. But post-Berry R.E.M. isn't the disaster that I feel some seem to think it is.

3. That Someone Is You

4. I'll Take The Rain

5. Beat A Drum

UBerlin, on Collapse, is one of my faves from any era.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Via Spotify - Listening to the cd 2 of the Life's Rich Pageant - never realized that Bad Day dates back to these sessions. Always enjoyed the tune. The only time I went to Red Rocks was for a REM/Wilco show. Bad Day was one of the highlights.

Great night of music -- I think the high was in the 40's that night.

(9/13/03/)

R.E.M. setlist:

1. Begin the Begin
  2. So Fast, So Numb
  3. Maps and Legends
  4. Drive
  5. Animal
  6. Get Up
  7. Driver 8
  8. Bad Day
  9. The One I Love
  10. I've Been High
  11. World Leader Pretend
  12. So. Central Rain
  13. Find the River
  14. Losing My Religion
  15. I Believe
  16. She Just Wants to Be
  17. Walk Unafraid
  18. Man on the Moon
  19. Everybody Hurts
  20. Nightswimming
  21. Imitation of Life
  22. It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

Wilco setlist:

1. Kicking Television
  2. I'm the Man Who Loves You
  3. Poor Places
  4. Reservations
  5. I Am Trying to Break Your Heart
  6. War on War
  7. A Magazine Called Sunset
  8. One by One
  9. Jesus, Etc.
  10. Kingpin
  11. Misunderstood
  12. California Stars

Via Spotify - Listening to the cd 2 of the Life's Rich Pageant - never realized that Bad Day dates back to these sessions. Always enjoyed the tune. The only time I went to Red Rocks was for a REM/Wilco show. Bad Day was one of the highlights.

Great night of music -- I think the high was in the 40's that night.

(9/13/03/)

R.E.M. setlist:

1. Begin the Begin
  2. So Fast, So Numb
  3. Maps and Legends
  4. Drive
  5. Animal
  6. Get Up
  7. Driver 8
  8. Bad Day
  9. The One I Love
  10. I've Been High
  11. World Leader Pretend
  12. So. Central Rain
  13. Find the River
  14. Losing My Religion
  15. I Believe
  16. She Just Wants to Be
  17. Walk Unafraid
  18. Man on the Moon
  19. Everybody Hurts
  20. Nightswimming
  21. Imitation of Life
  22. It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)

Wilco setlist:

1. Kicking Television
  2. I'm the Man Who Loves You
  3. Poor Places
  4. Reservations
  5. I Am Trying to Break Your Heart
  6. War on War
  7. A Magazine Called Sunset
  8. One by One
  9. Jesus, Etc.
  10. Kingpin
  11. Misunderstood
  12. California Stars

I was there, too! They dedicated "Imitation of Life" to Johnny Cash, who'd recently passed away. One of the most memorable concert experiences I've ever had. 

Wow! Anyone else strugglng to believe that it's 25 years since this came out? I was 2 years out of college and in a transitional period of my life. A friend of mine taped me a copy. Initially, I wasn't that interested in the album as I hadn't liked "Out of Time" and thought they had strayed too far from their early period. But I loved "ATOP" on first listen and still love it today.  Doesn't look like this edition includes one of their best covers: "Arms of Love" by Robyn Hitchcock which was an album b-side and which to my ears felt very complimentary to "Everybody Hurts" at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00fy4Gc397c

I was a senior in high school when Automatic came out. A friend left his tape copy in my car, and I listened to it over and over. To me it will always represent R.E.M. at their creative peak. I, too, wish they'd included the b-sides from that era. Demos don't do much for me. 

Doesn't look like this edition includes one of their best covers: "Arms of Love" by Robyn Hitchcock which was an album b-side and which to my ears felt very complimentary to "Everybody Hurts" at the time.

That one is included on 'Complete Rarities: Warner Bros 1988-2011', just like almost all of the 40 Watt Club tracks.

Anyone else baffled by the fact that they decided to discard the original iconic album cover?

Speaking of memories - 

I recall seeing what use to be called "the world premier" of the Drive video on MTV. 

I probably played that tape a lot back in the day. I think now I would only care to hear Nightswimming and Find The River. 

• 1 month later...

Nice interview with Peter Buck here:

https://www.salon.com/2017/11/03/peter-buck-of-r-e-m-how-many-people-write-songs-when-theyre-70-i-want-to-be-one-of-them/

You produced Uncle Tupelo ["March 16-20, 1992"] right before demoing for "Automatic" started. Did that have any bearing, from your perspective, on how you approached things?

I think it probably did. I went to see the Uncle Tupelo guys — I think their second record wasn't out yet. There were like 30 people there. And the first song they opened with was that Louvin Brothers song "Atomic Power." I wandered up and said, "Hey, loved the set, loved the songs. It was cool that you guys opened with a Louvin Brothers song." And Jay [Farrar] and Jeff [Tweedy] looked at each other and smiled. I think Jeff said, "You know, we've probably played that song a hundred times, and nobody's ever known that it's a Louvin Brothers song."

Somehow me producing a record came up. And they said, "Well, we want to make an acoustic record," which I took to mean very little electric stuff. What it actually meant was absolutely no electric stuff. We did it in five days, and it was a performance-oriented group of songs, everyone sitting in a room. Although there were overdubs, they were live performances. The interplay of the acoustics was really moving, too. Those were cool tunes. I'm sure a little bit of that leaked into the writing and performing of "Automatic."

Speaking of memories - 

I recall seeing what use to be called "the world premier" of the Drive video on MTV. 

I probably played that tape a lot back in the day. I think now I would only care to hear Nightswimming and Find The River. 

Find the River is an all-time favorite song for me by anyone. Think my favorite album by them is New Adventures in Hi Fi. "I wore my door mat face...". Any record that has a song inspired by Shakes the Clown can't be all bad. You're in the barrel now...

Nice interview with Peter Buck here:

https://www.salon.com/2017/11/03/peter-buck-of-r-e-m-how-many-people-write-songs-when-theyre-70-i-want-to-be-one-of-them/

You produced Uncle Tupelo ["March 16-20, 1992"] right before demoing for "Automatic" started. Did that have any bearing, from your perspective, on how you approached things?

I think it probably did. I went to see the Uncle Tupelo guys — I think their second record wasn't out yet. There were like 30 people there. And the first song they opened with was that Louvin Brothers song "Atomic Power." I wandered up and said, "Hey, loved the set, loved the songs. It was cool that you guys opened with a Louvin Brothers song." And Jay [Farrar] and Jeff [Tweedy] looked at each other and smiled. I think Jeff said, "You know, we've probably played that song a hundred times, and nobody's ever known that it's a Louvin Brothers song."

Somehow me producing a record came up. And they said, "Well, we want to make an acoustic record," which I took to mean very little electric stuff. What it actually meant was absolutely no electric stuff. We did it in five days, and it was a performance-oriented group of songs, everyone sitting in a room. Although there were overdubs, they were live performances. The interplay of the acoustics was really moving, too. Those were cool tunes. I'm sure a little bit of that leaked into the writing and performing of "Automatic."

Thanks for sharing! Peter's probably my favorite R.E.M. member, and I always enjoy reading his takes on pretty much everything. 

Find the River is an all-time favorite song for me by anyone. Think my favorite album by them is New Adventures in Hi Fi. "I wore my door mat face...". Any record that has a song inspired by Shakes the Clown can't be all bad. You're in the barrel now...

New Adventures is so underrated. For me it was probably their last great album.