R.E.M. 1980-2011??

I don't think I will buy this. I use to listen to this album a lot when it came out though.

OUT OF TIME  25th Anniversary Reissue

Twenty-five years after OUT OF TIME helped break alternative music into the American mainstream and turned the band into a household name at home and abroad, a special 25th Anniversary Edition is set to be released on November 18th via Concord Bicycle.

OUT OF TIME will be released in three different formats. The 2-CD Set will include a remastered version of the original album alongside demo versions of every album track, as well as demos for two non-album b-sides and a previously unreleased song. The 3-LP Set will include remastered vinyl versions of the original album and the demos. The 25th Anniversary Deluxe Edition of OUT OF TIME will include 4 discs, featuring the remastered album, demos, recordings from the band’s performance at Mountain Stage in 1991 (a rarity for the time, as the band did not tour to promote), and a Blu-Ray disc with hi-resolution audio and 5.1 Surround Sound versions of OUT OF TIME, all of the music videos from the album, and the 1991 electronic press kit TIME PIECE, featuring in-studio footage, exclusive performances and more. All versions will feature extensive liner notes by Annie Zaleski featuring interviews from all four band members and producers Scott Litt and John Keane.

Read the entire press release including track-listing at remhq.com.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I probably will if only because R.E.M. is my favorite band of all time (sorry, Wilco). It does have some great songs: "Near Wild Heaven," "Belong," "Half a World Away," "Texarkana," "Country Feedback," and "Me in Honey" are all among my favorites (my list is long). I've hated "Shiny Happy People" since the first time I heard it, and "Radio Song" is pretty low on my list of R.E.M. songs. Everyone knows "Losing My Religion." It's a staple for sure, but having grown up when that song was popular, it got old quickly and never fully recovered.

I miss R.E.M. I saw that Peter Buck and Bill Berry played with Kevn Kinney at the 40 Watt last weekend. I would've loved to have been there. 

I hear you Boss, I miss them as well. I was with them pretty much from the get go, still remember hearing Radio Free Europe on the BC college station, and going over to the Harvard Coop in downtown Boston to buy Murmur when it was released. Don't listen to them often these days but when I do my head always explodes with how much I love their music. Don't know if I will get this, but likely I will, just don't know which offering.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

i was into them early. i'm sort of glad they decided to move on. obviously very different people involved personality wise. they left on a pretty high note. that's not to say i wouldn't enjoy some sort of reunion but i don't think its going to happen.

I have seen him over the last 5 years play a total of one song live and I live near NYC where he lives these days. He has opened for Patti Smith a few times and joined a few artist for a song or two but that is it. He is very passionate in the art scene but music these days takes a major backseat for him as far as I can tell

• 1 month later...

I would like to. I still have a DVD player, no Blu-Ray, so I have to figure out how much of this won't be useable for me. 

Yeah, I also don't have a Blu-Ray player. I wish the live CD was offered as part of a tw-disc set, including only the remastered version of "Out of Time," and that the disc of demos came with the more costly four-disc set that includes the Blu-Ray disc. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a link to a very informative BBC Radio special hosted by Billy Bragg on the 25th anniversary of "Out of Time." There are two separate episodes, each a little over an hour in length. I've listened to all of it and recommend to fans of the band. There are recent interviews with Berry, Buck, Mills, and Stipe as well as producer Scott Litt. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08541fx

For me, nothing compares to any of the first five I.R.S. releases. Not to say I don't like Out of Time, but..

This.

Except for Document. There are major label records that are better than Document. Out of Time is one of them.

Here's a link to a very informative BBC Radio special hosted by Billy Bragg on the 25th anniversary of "Out of Time." There are two separate episodes, each a little over an hour in length. I've listened to all of it and recommend to fans of the band. There are recent interviews with Berry, Buck, Mills, and Stipe as well as producer Scott Litt. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08541fx

I really enjoyed listening to this. Great to hear recent interviews with Bill  Berry and Scott Litt. 

The BBC Radio special was pretty nice. Liked hearing the Near Wild Heaven demo.

I love R.E.M.'s early records as well. Murmur, Life's Rich Pageant and Reckoning are my favorites. I'd put those 3, along with Out Of Time and Automatic in my Top 5. The latter 2 would be at my top. It's really hard to rank all their albums, but I feel those 2 are R.E.M. at their absolute peak.

Fables Of The Reconstruction is also a great record. And so is Document IMO (sorry PT).  Really no way of getting around the argument that R.E.M. was one of the greatest American bands ever.