R.E.M. 1980-2011??

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

Links to a couple of good and recent documentaries (one audio and one video from the band itself):

https://soundcloud.com/rte-radio-1/rem-out-of-athens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaiLpMsz2FE&t=182s

Because you can never have enough R.E.M.

Yeah -- I caught it, thought it was great. It's nice to hear from Mills -- it seems like Stipe can take the air out of the room - in a good way - but Rather did a nice job with keeping Mills in the loop. My wife was happy that beard was gone and my son kept asking what's that thing hanging from his nose...

I am ready for a reunion - what the hell.

Guessing it has to be one of their best selling records, so maybe they are just proud of it. Can't see the record company making them doing all this pub. - but who knows.

Not to mention, in this political climate - it is a great platform to get their views out and sell records at the same time. 

That Buck interview that someone posted was a real great one. Buck is an interesting dude. 

A sad day for me when I got home from work. My old Fables "monkey on a bicycle" t-shirt had worn out (the graphic had literally peeled away from the cloth of the shirt, leaving a gaping hole). I ordered one of the reproductions on R.E.M.'s website, and like most shirts nowadays it's paper thin. I know a lot of folks seem to like those, but I'm not one of them. Just a tiny matter, I know, but I sure love that design. 

• 3 months later...

I have an original brick from the steeple of St. Mary's Episcopal Church in Athens where they played their first show. Happy 38th to my favorite all-time band (sorry, Wilco). 

I have an original brick from the steeple of St. Mary's Episcopal Church in Athens where they played their first show. Happy 38th to my favorite all-time band (sorry, Wilco). 

i'm with you. i was into them from "chronic town" on. luckily saw them a real lot including a private show in a studio in vancouver. sat about 5 feet away from michael stipe during the set. it was filmed for AOL sessions. i've found a few vids on youtube but not the whole show. you can see my feet, haha. although i miss them, i'm kind of glad they packed it in when they did rather than continue when they weren't feeling it anymore. it seems that relations are ok with the guys in the band nowadays & i wouldn't be shocked if they played again. i don't see them doing a big mega reunion tour though ala guns n roses. something more low key would be nice.

I've argued with my friends over this for years -- I think you can build a case for R.E.M. as the greatest American rock band ever.

I totally agree. 

i'm with you. i was into them from "chronic town" on. luckily saw them a real lot including a private show in a studio in vancouver. sat about 5 feet away from michael stipe during the set. it was filmed for AOL sessions. i've found a few vids on youtube but not the whole show. you can see my feet, haha. although i miss them, i'm kind of glad they packed it in when they did rather than continue when they weren't feeling it anymore. it seems that relations are ok with the guys in the band nowadays & i wouldn't be shocked if they played again. i don't see them doing a big mega reunion tour though ala guns n roses. something more low key would be nice.

Wow! What an amazing experience! Very jealous. I didn't see them a lot though I did catch one of their Red Rocks shows with Wilco which is one of my greatest concert memories. And they played "I Believe," my favorite R.E.M. song. 

I've argued with my friends over this for years -- I think you can build a case for R.E.M. as the greatest American rock band ever.

Could have been.  Instead, they became a pop band. Once I heard shiny happy people I was done.

Could have been.  Instead, they became a pop band. Once I heard shiny happy people I was done.

i like shiny happy people. it was a good fit on the record. REM at their worst was still better than most bands best. to earlier post: i saw wilco open for REM too. could've been the venue (ancient small stadium) but didn't seem like they were at their best. think there was a lot of tension simmering that blew up not too long after. conversely, REM were fantastic.

I don't like that song either.  But there's a lot of great post -"Shiny Happy People" R.E.M just as there's a lot of great post 'Heavy Metal Drummer" Wilco.  :D 

I don't like that song either.  But there's a lot of great post -"Shiny Happy People" R.E.M just as there's a lot of great post 'Heavy Metal Drummer" Wilco.  :D

I've always thought that the best songs on "Out of Time" are the ones that weren't hits: "Near Wild Heaven," "Belong," "Half a World Away," "Texarkana," "Country Feedback," and "Me in Honey."  

Hahaha! That is laughable. If you want to say that they wrote and recorded a pop song for their 7th studio album out of 15, fine. If you think that means that they "became a pop band", you're either a hyperbole merchant looking for a reaction or you know nothing of their final 8 albums. If R.E.M. "became a pop band", that would mean that at least a majority of their songs were "pop". Please name the pop songs that followed the release of "Out of time". In my opinion, it is debatable that "Shiny Happy People" is a pop song. Even if it is, it isn't "Smooth". 

If they became a "pop band", then their popularity, measured by album sales, would have increased. That was not the case. Maybe "Shiny Happy People" and "I'm Too Sexy" were twins sons of different mothers and R.E.M.'s later career mirrored Right Said Fred's with 7, 8 more albums, but never again attaining the heights of their pop masterpiece ? To say that you were done with R.E.M. after they released "Shiny Happy People" because they became a pop band, says more about you than it does R.E.M.