R.E.M. 1980-2011??

I am fortunate to count myself among the crowd for their last show in the U.S. at Voodoo Fest in NOLA in '08. It was just before Obama was elected, so they were very high-energy. I stood on the rail for what seemed like an eternity for that set, realizing that at age 33 it might be the last time I'd be willing to do that. 

Ya, that's a young man's game haha. I went as long as I could until the RA got me. I think the last time I did it was for the Replacements reunion show & Nick Cave about a month after that. I sit upstairs now, usually in ADA seats so that I can actually sit. It's a bitch of a disease. I got a few years on you, too.  :rock

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole Capital Theater show is up on youtube.

Thank you so much for telling me that!

I saw them with NRBQ in 1989 on the Green tour in Ames, IA. We were not impressed with NRBQ, I think they put on a pretty drunken show. Doing some research about this show I see that they closed with a cover of VU's After Hours. I have absolutenly no recollection of that.

I saw NRBQ so often around that time that I lost count.  NRBQ is one of my favorite live bands ever.  Just saw them a few months ago and the band was as great (and wacky) as always.  Although Terry Adams is the only one left that was there back in 1989.

• 1 month later...

There's a new podcast interview with Bill Berry that's a great listen for R.E.M. fans. It's for a new podcast called In Weird Cities.

https://www.facebook.com/inweirdcities/photos/a.125255589172786/125307419167603/?type=3&theater

http://smarturl.it/inweirdcities?fbclid=IwAR3mShOwyiRkv2Ss2tA5GsAewf55AZOTuA8jQ_owAcDRowc0gXVMTUG1KT4

Listening to Monster now I think it has aged surprisingly well. I know it received uneven reviews at the time but it’s a rocking record!

I've always liked Monster. Never understood why it was panned so much. Maybe the world wanted Automatic II. 

Listening to Monster now I think it has aged surprisingly well. I know it received uneven reviews at the time but it’s a rocking record!

It is a great rock record. I like it more now than when it came out. I realized recently that Peter Buck is turned up to 11 on it - what's not to love?

I've always liked Monster. Never understood why it was panned so much. Maybe the world wanted Automatic II.

yep think that is also why

It is a great rock record. I like it more now than when it came out. I realized recently that Peter Buck is turned up to 11 on it - what's not to love?

exactly
  • 1 month later...

I love demos and love Monster. I have always wondered how long the little instrumental at the end of Bang and Blame is, and if a longer version is on disc 2. I'm not really interested in the remastering. I listened to the remastered Kenneth and it sounded like they cut out one of the nice guitar fx sounds in the chorus. I believe it said in the press release that he actually used different takes and stuff for this 'remastering.' Maybe some of it will sound cool, but I like Monster as it is.

I still wonder about the instrumental at the end of Bang and Blame. Does anyone own the box? Do they go on detail about each song? I'm hoping to find the box set cheap sometime, but who knows when that will be. The wikipedia page for the song itself is vague:

When the album version of the song finishes, an untitled instrumental featuring tremolo effects on the guitar amp and amplified slap bass techniques follows, lasting approximately 30 seconds from fade in to fade out.

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Boss_Tweedy said:

Hard to believe it's been 10 years since they called it a day. Ten years ago today. 

I'm kind of glad they did it. Better than continuing to just chase the all mighty dollar. That's assuming they just weren't into it anymore. I saw them a real lot & don't think I would enjoy them being a nostalgia act. Feel that way about most bands.

The New Adventures in Hi-Fi 25th Anniversary Edition is coming out next month. I am really into buying such things anymore. Although - I have to say it would be nice to have their take of Wichita Lineman on cd. But I can't justify buying that just for one song. 

9 hours ago, Analogman said:

The New Adventures in Hi-Fi 25th Anniversary Edition is coming out next month. I am really into buying such things anymore. Although - I have to say it would be nice to have their take of Wichita Lineman on cd. But I can't justify buying that just for one song. 

Wall Of Death is worth having, as is Love Is All Around, but I agree...hard to justify.

Michael Stipe has been in the studio recording. Who knows when we'll hear it, but always exciting to hear whatever he creates.

Stipe will also have the opening track on the Velvet Underground tribute album, out Friday, singing "Sunday Morning".

Ten years ago, R.E.M. released their final song, "We All Go Back To Where Belong". Pretty wonderful, in my opinion. As is the video for it, starring Kirsten Dunst.