R.E.M. 1980-2011??

http://www.brooklynv...all_it_a_d.html

http://www.murmurs.com/topic/117884-rem-call-it-a-day/

Hope it is not true!

I know many don't care for their later work but R.E.M. musical influence on my life and how it effected how I listened to music was huge. I am not sure what to think yet as I know their popularity has been plummiting over the years but I am in shock..

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like they'll never play together again. Like their recent albums or not, they were and still are a GREAT live band. I had hope I'd get to see them at least one more time.

I'll be real curious to see what Mike and Michael do musically in the future. Stipe's voice is one of a kind, so I hope we get to hear it again. Mills will likely start or join another band of some sort. Buck will likely continue the 50+ gigs that he seems to juggle.

Kinda expected, but still kind of a bummer.

Anyone else find it ironic that Stipe says "A wise man once said--'the skill in attending a party is knowing when it's time to leave'" in his statement?

I blame Stipe 100% for this...Mills and Buck were happy touring and music is in their blood. Stipe is all about the NYC scene, fashion and sculptures...I saw Stipe speak at a NY Times event a few months ago and you can tell his heart was elsewhere. I was trying to put it at the back of my mind as a phase and was hoping they would get out there and tour together again.

On a side note WILCO IS NOW MY #2 (after Radiohead) BAND! PLEASE DON'T FAIL ME NOW WILCO I NEED YOU!!!

Oh man, that had to be tough for you to read, Remphish. I did like them and own easily 10 or so CDs, but they were never my #1 fav. But I feel for ya just the same!

Thanks...I have been a fan since 89 (When I was a wee 9 year old)...this will be hard for me to get used to...

On the other hand, there are now apparently all those photos of Michael Stipe's sausage that people can enjoy. :throwup

http://www.spinner.c...1/rem-break-up/

In perhaps related R.E.M. news, word came out today that Michael Stipe posted photos of his penis, among other pictures in a collage, on his now-NSFW Tumblr blogConfessions_of_a_Michael_Stipe.

Just saw the news on Facebook - sad, but inevitable I guess. In 1982 they were the first band that I felt a connection to and was truly passionate about. Although my attention drifted around the time Berry left (thanks for picking up the slack Wilco!) I always felt good knowing they were still around. It's like finding out that someone you were best friends with years ago is gone.

If this were 18 years ago i would have cared.

I'm sure that the decision came after a time of serious reckoning. It's impossible to say if this was a mutual decision or if there was some pretty persuasion going on. I imagine when you do something like this, there is a lot of second guessing, perhaps a few letters never sent to band members or fans. They probably wanted to get on with their lives and said let's begin the begin. Now, these days, it's time to think about the legacy, and reconstruct the fables that are emerging. it doesn't take superman to figure out that the one i love is this band. Though I didn't worship them, like some do who are undoubtedly losing their religion. I'm sure they don't need our good advices, so i won't offer them. yes, it will certainly be a carnival of sorts of bad puns:

If this were 18 years ago i would have cared.

I'm sure that the decision came after a time of serious reckoning. It's impossible to say if this was a mutual decision or if there was some pretty persuasion going on. I imagine when you do something like this, there is a lot of second guessing, perhaps a few letters never sent to band members or fans. They probably wanted to get on with their lives and said let's begin the begin. Now, these days, it's time to think about the legacy, and reconstruct the fables that are emerging. it doesn't take superman to figure out that the one i love is this band. Though I didn't worship them, like some do who are undoubtedly losing their religion. I'm sure they don't need our good advices, so i won't offer them. yes, it will certainly be a carnival of sorts of bad puns:

:yeaahh

Well-played.

If you're still reading this thread after all the sarcastic comments, remphish1, thanks for this--I hadn't checked their site yet today. I first became a fan in 1984, seeing them on every tour since, and as it was for you, this band's music had a huge impact not only on my musical taste, but on my life in general. I met new friends, took a lot of chances I never would have before, and discovered so many new things through my interest in the band. Definitely the soundtrack to my adult life...helped me get through some rough times and always made me feel better.

Very sad news. It's tough to think that the possible last time I saw them was 3 years ago with an amazing setlist and fantastic openers (The National/Modest Mouse). It's a bit odd, even to me, that I saw R.E.M. live a full 2 years before I saw U2 (in 1995 at the then brand new Fleet Center in Boston now the Boston Garden). I always admired R.E.M.'s live shows that were a hell of a lot more spontaneous than U2's (not to compare them anymore). In the 7 shows that I saw I was pleasantly surprised at what nuggets they pulled out. This is so strange after seeing what what is definitely the best American band right now last night in Boston.

I also still don't care for Collapse Into Now.

I am selfishly relieved to hear this. I wish it had happened ages ago, and that they simply reunited from time to time to let fans re-live the good stuff when it felt right for them. it's all been stale for ages.

murmur through document will always have an enormous place in my heart and musical mind. stipe is one of a kind.

They were f--ing incredible live at times! When I saw them on the Fables tour, it sure seemed like they played more songs in the multiple encores than in the setlist.They pulled out half a dozen covers (including King of the Road and Behind Closed Doors) and some b-sides plus songs that we didn't know which would eventually show up on later albums (Fall on Me), all the while pretty much only lit by the stock footage of trains on the screen behind them and a couple of dim lights at the sides of the stage. Very spooky and cool and my favorite concert experience of all time. Just sayin'...

murmur through document will always have an enormous place in my heart and musical mind.

Agreed (although I'd back it up to Chronic Town). For most of high school and the first year or so of college I listened to the Dead, Dylan, and the Beatles and a few others. Some of my friends were raving about Murmur and I liked it but it didn't totally grab me. But when Reckoning came out there was no going back. I must have listened to Harborcoat a thousand times.

And REM led me to Husker Du, the Minutemen, the Feelies, the Replacements, and so many other great bands.