R.E.M. 1980-2011??

Although I have not really listened to them in a while, I still think the old stuff is great. I figure if they were not going to tour, then they were not going to make any money. The days of 80 million dollar record contracts are long over.

Swan Swan H and Driver 8 are probably still my favorite R.E.M. songs.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A quick Google search revealed an article titled, "It's The End Of The Band As We Know It".

I've a feeling the bad puns are gonna come steaming in like Box Cars.

guilty as charged! i fell prey, but whattayagonna do. makes for catchy headlines:

http://bumslogic.wordpress.com/2011/09/21/its-the-end-of-r-e-m-and-i-feel-fine-2/

(that post about the breakup also reprints my reviews of Collapse Into Now and Reckoning)

As a fan since the mid-eighties I am one part sad, two parts happy.

Like other have noted discovering them in the mid-eighties meant the opening of a gateway to so many great bands from the Velvets, the Byrds, Big Star, Husker Du and the Replacements too.

Am really glad I saw them again in 2008 when they put on a brilliant show. Would have loved to see them tour "Collapse Into Now" but it sounds like Michael Stipe wasn't into the idea.

With the exception of "Around The Sun" they didn't release a truly duff album in three decades. I expect to be regularly playing the first four albums and others till I croak.

Anyone else find it ironic that Stipe says "A wise man once said--'the skill in attending a party is knowing when it's time to leave'" in his statement?

I was thinking the same thing. They probably should have ended it when Bill left, but then I think that's right after they signed that new contract with Warners for a ridiculous amount of money. I'm sure they felt obligated to see that through. This greatest hits package probably wraps up that contract. Im not completely surprised it happened, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them make a once off reunion in the future.

For me, R.E.M. led to (among others) the Velvet Underground, Jonathan Richman, Television, the Replacements, Robyn Hitchcock, Billy Bragg, and eventually Wilco!

I discovered Wilco through them as well. Mercury Rev and Wilco opened for them on the UP tour in '99. Although UP wasn't a great album, they were still a great live act at that point.

My favorite band of all time. Maybe it's time for Wilco to move to #1.

Lots of Wilco connections. Peter Buck produced the third Tupelo album. The first time I saw Wilco was opening for R.E.M. in '99. And I have an R.E.M. fanclub release featuring Tweedy and co. playing live along w/ R.E.M. on "It's the End of the World as We Know It." Maybe they can cover that one on this tour.

R.E.M. changed my life back in 1984. Yes, they literally changed my life. My life for the past 25+ years would not be what it has been if not for R.E.M. I'd always loved music before R.E.M., but they changed everything for me - what I listened to and why, what I did with my spare time....I met the love of my life indirectly because of R.E.M....I learned how to play guitar by ear because of R.E.M. (rather than just boring old sheet music)....i could go on and on. They literally changed my entire life, and it has remained changed for 27 years!

Am I sad about the news? No. I wish they would have split up a very long time ago.

The band that changed my life 27 years ago hasn't existed for a very, very long time.

RE: Wilco covering R.E.M. - I think the perfect song for them to do would be Country Feedback which I think members of Wilco appeared on in a certain cd single which I can't recall. It was recorded in 2003 when they opened for them. EDIT: Actually, the recording may not be the same show that they came out to perform with them.

Stipe is all about the NYC scene, fashion and sculptures...I saw Stipe speak at a NY Times event a few months ago and you can tell his heart was elsewhere.

Stipe was all about that stuff even 20 years ago. I'm surprised the band lasted as long as did.

I am selfishly relieved to hear this. I wish it had happened ages ago, and that they simply reunited from time to time to let fans re-live the good stuff when it felt right for them. it's all been stale for ages.

murmur through document will always have an enormous place in my heart and musical mind. stipe is one of a kind.

Amen to that, although to me it was all down hill after LRP. And they definitely should have split when Bill Berry left.

I'm betting 2016 for the reunion tour.

(Are there any decent bands apart from The Smiths and Husker Du who havent reformed at some time?)

I'm betting 2016 for the reunion tour.

(Are there any decent bands apart from The Smiths and Husker Du who havent reformed at some time?)

That was my first thought as well when I saw the news today: this just leads into the inevitable reunion tour in 5-10 years. Shit, Guided By Voices is back together already they were gone for what? Six years. I feel like there will be another REM tour.

Love the band, I go through phases where all I want to do is listen to Murmur or a single song like Man on the Moon or Losing My Religion, they have a tremendous catalog. Glad I caught them live when I did.

--Mike

I wish they would have just termed it "indefinite hiatus" instead of saying it's completely over.

The other 2 have guested and been with other bands all the time. Where does this leave Stipe?

Will he do the inevitable front man solo record?

Has Stipe ever written a full song by himself?

I have always taken it that the rest of the band presents him with the backing tracks and then he writes lyrics and melody on top of them.

I still need to get their pre-Automatic catalog.

Do you recommend I get the new reissues or just go for the old CD's?

Now with this news, probably all the cheap used ones will get bought up. =(

You definitely need to get those albums.

I've always thought that Michael was not really into music - outside of Patti Smith.

I saw a post on Facebook that said he has some sort of disease?

I also didn't even know they had put out a greatest hits cd.

WILCO IS NOW MY #2 (after Radiohead) BAND! PLEASE DON'T FAIL ME NOW WILCO I NEED YOU!!!

Wilco loves you baby.

Weird emotions here. First off, took a break from the whole love last night and put on Collapse Into Now last night for 1st time in months and still love it as much as i did when it came out. Got me thinking about their history, the 5 post Bill records and what they were going to do next. Since the CIN came out, ive been of the opinion that it was their best post bill album (and stands next many of the bill era ones) and I still feel that way. Lots of sentiments around that they should have split in 97 but i disagree. IMO, of the 5 records, 3 are great, 1 is ok and one kinda of sucks, and 2 of the greats happen to be the last 2. I was thinking of going back and finding the thread about wilco, rem and radio head having new records this year and then we get this news today.

I dunno, too many good times to count with this band, too many great records, too many great memories but i really don't know know where they were going to go next. I really think they had said what they needed to say as band and it was time. A finalntour would have been nice, the final record I always wanted them to make with Bill would have been nice but, in the end, the records speak for themselves. One of the consistently great bands of all time, it will be always there to go back to.

Soemone asked about the IRS records, get the out of print MFSL remasters of murmur and reckoning. $30 or so on amazon but well worth it. All of the current remasters are too loud IMO.

I was actually thinking this morning that i needed to get my fan club money in for this years single, oh well.

It had to happen sometime but it was always going to be too soon for me. R.E.M. has meant more to me than any other band. I would have loved another tour and the chance to hear some songs from Collapse into Now live.

Long live Wilco.

(and the National)

My favorite band. Their music has been with me through childhood, high school, college, and adulthood. I know it was inevitable, but it's been an emotional day. Lots of amazing memories tied to their music.