The American Radiohead

It's a good article. Respectful of both bands, and pretty close to the mark. Is there anybody who doesn't think Wilco is more accessible than Radiohead?

Think the middle part of TWL is far more accessible than anything from The Bends on. Really like Radiohead, the Bends got me into them, OK Computer was great, and grew to learn to like KID A. The one similarity I see is that you have to work to appreciate the albums they put out. Not work in the traditional, negative sense, but in the positive, put the time into the layering, texture, and nuances of the record. Too much of today's music is oriented to the instant gratfication crowd. A lot of people love it, I am not knocking it, but a Black Eyed Peas song or a Katy Perry song could be about lying on your back and urinating in the air and if it had a catchy beat people would be singing it without knowing what they lyrics they are parroting imply. Wilco and Radiohead requires some intense focus, some thought. I never see a day when Fitter, Happier, or One Sunday Morning will be played in a club at 1:30 AM. Which is cool, because no one wants to see the day when people leave a club alone, introspective, and contemplating life. A time and a place for everything.

I thought the article was well done. I just heard some pompous idiot in the beer line at Summerstage last Thursday telling a couple of ladies that Wilco was "America's Radiohead". My friends and I started laughing at him and making jokes at his expense. It's a lazy comparison from which the writer of the piece actually made something worthwhile.

"there's a good probability that if you dislike one, you probably dislike the other."

Not so for me. I've tried many times over the years to listen and "like" Radiohead. I know they're an important band and I feel like I'm supposed to like them. My most recent attempt were this past week with SNL and Colbert. But try as I might, I just don't get Radiohead. Their music does absolutely nothing for me. I have now officially given up trying to like them. I will go on my Wilco way.

Guest McGuffin

1. I didn't read the article but can see the two bands being compared.

2. The King of Limbs is a brutal record.

3. If anyone thinks this board is nutty, they should go read the Radiohead board. They're an infallible band per their fanboys. Revolting.

4. Everything you read on the internet, whether it's a newspaper article or news article, seems to have errors in grammar or context. Why do these people still have jobs?

3. If anyone thinks this board is nutty, they should go read the Radiohead board. They're an infallible band per their fanboys. Revolting.

Sounds like the kind of place where someone who enjoys getting a rise out of fanboys could have some fun.

I really need to check out more Radiohead it's been a long time.

Wilco and Radiohead are my two favorite bands, and I have used this descibe them before, no they don't sound anything alike, but they both push boundries, and are constantly changing their sound. Now recently Wilco has slowed down when it comes to experimentation, although it's still present, while Radiohead continues to evolove into something different.

If you didn't like the King of Limbs, I advise watching them play some of the stuff live, I think people don't realize that they are basically making organic electronic music. Which is pretty mindblowing to see. Go google the Colbert Report performace of Bloom. it's extrememly intricate and precise, really something amazing, no one else makes music like they do.

One of the comments hit on something that I agree with:

I have been turned off of Radiohead, in large part, due to the humorless nature of A) their music, and B ) Their fanbase.

I realize that an artist doesn't really have any say in what kind of fans they attract, but even people whom I respect, people whom I like to talk music with, are insufferable when it comes to Radiohead. It's like there's a Radiohead album, and then there's everything else. "The only band that matters" and all that shit.

I gave up years ago when I argued that, as great as Radiohead was (and I certainly respect them), they, like all other bands, owed a debt to other bands that came before them, notably (this was in the late 1990), U2 (principally The Edge's guitar work and Eno's production), and Pink Floyd (the moody introspection). This was typically met with eye rolls and "can you believe this guy doesn't get Radiohead?" type sighs. "Yea, like a band as cool as Radiohead would listen to those shitty, old fart, bands."

I'm over-generalizing, but there is a pervasive superiority complex among a large percentage of Radiohead fans. They can keep it.

As for why I don't like Radiohead itself more than I do, it's because I've never felt an emotional connection with them. I prefer music that either makes me feel good, or that I feel is coming from the same place I am at a particular moment. Wilco tends to do that. I can have a few beers or go driving or be heartbroken with Wilco. Radiohead is more like hanging out with the brilliant kid who doesn't know how to maintain a normal conversation for more than 10 minutes.

I realize that an artist doesn't really have any say in what kind of fans they attract, but even people whom I respect, people whom I like to talk music with, are insufferable when it comes to Radiohead. It's like there's a Radiohead album, and then there's everything else. "The only band that matters" and all that shit.

There are a lot of Wilco fans like this, too.

Perhaps. But in my experience there are far more Radiohead fans that fit that description.

I don't think it's ever been as "cool" to be a Wilco fan as it was/is to be a Radiohead fan. This was true especially in the late 1990s, after "OK Computer" came out. Wilco has never had an album that huge, and Radiohead has a much larger fanbase than Wilco.

There are a lot of people who listen to Radiohead and aren't otherwise into music, because of what listening to Radiohead "says" about them (i.e. "I am a serious person with serious tastes."). I just haven't encountered that with Wilco.

This probably has a lot to do with the fact that for their first 3 albums, Wilco was not seen as particularly "important" or "progressive." They were simply a good, folk-rock, American-roots band that had some rock and some twang. Radiohead, from "The Bends" on, sounded like they were "the next big thing."

There are a lot of people who listen to Radiohead and aren't otherwise into music, because of what listening to Radiohead "says" about them (i.e. "I am a serious person with serious tastes."). I just haven't encountered that with Wilco.

See, that's where you're wrong. We all listen to Wilco to pick up chicks and impress people at cocktail parties.

Guest McGuffin

There are a lot of Wilco fans like this, too.

And we're looking at the empirical evidence on this board.

Dr. L, good posts.

Oh, and, as suggested, I checked out "Bloom" from the Basement Tapes. Not palatable, as is all of King of Limbs, in my opinion. It's totally off the deep end.

Perhaps. But in my experience there are far more Radiohead fans that fit that description.

I don't think it's ever been as "cool" to be a Wilco fan as it was/is to be a Radiohead fan. This was true especially in the late 1990s, after "OK Computer" came out. Wilco has never had an album that huge, and Radiohead has a much larger fanbase than Wilco.

This probably has a lot to do with the fact that for their first 3 albums, Wilco was not seen as particularly "important" or "progressive." They were simply a good, folk-rock, American-roots band that had some rock and some twang. Radiohead, from "The Bends" on, sounded like they were "the next big thing."

There are a lot of broad generalizations in there that I'm not sure are true. Plus, Radiohead is a bigger, more popular band, so you're going to find more people that fit that description. Personally, I've encountered very few, if any, of that type of Radiohead fan.

Wilco and Radiohead are my two favorite bands, and I have used this descibe them before, no they don't sound anything alike, but they both push boundries, and are constantly changing their sound. Now recently Wilco has slowed down when it comes to experimentation, although it's still present, while Radiohead continues to evolove into something different.

If you didn't like the King of Limbs, I advise watching them play some of the stuff live, I think people don't realize that they are basically making organic electronic music. Which is pretty mindblowing to see. Go google the Colbert Report performace of Bloom. it's extrememly intricate and precise, really something amazing, no one else makes music like they do.

Yep, I was going to say 90% of this. I owe my obsession to Wilco to my teenage obsession of Radiohead. If the bands weren't compared ad nauseum after YHF, it would have been a while before I picked up a Wilco album. I, for one, am grateful for the comparisons.

One other comparison I would just throw out here: I could totally see myself hanging out with Wilco and having a good time talking about whatever. Even though Radiohead is my #1 band, I kind of hope I never meet any of them. They just seem very unapproachable and non-personable. Despite those differences, both bands' music resonates with me more than any others.

The reason I started listening to Wilco is because I had a friend who I used to hang out and smoke pot with...We were sitting in his car and I was introducing him to Hail to the Thief and he played me A Ghost is Born. I'm a Radiohead nut as much as I am a Wilco nut, as in I don't go posting on message boards for any other bands except Wilco and Radiohead. Since I'm such a huge fan of both its easy for me to see why people compare them...They both have done extrordinary things with rock music. Radiohead records, much like alot of Wilco records for me, take awhile to soak in. If you aren't a Radiohead fan and you haven't given OK Computer or In Rainbows a fair set of listens I would urge you to do so. Being Wilco fans, I would imagine you will find them very rewarding with time,but who knows I could be wrong.

The album that got me hooked on Radiohead was Amnesiac which isn't their most popular but I find it to be one of their darkest, more emotional albums kind of like A Ghost is Born which was also what got me into Wilco. I think those are two records that are very interesting to compare. Theres just something about the mood of both of them that fits....just my opinion.

Personally, I don't care much for Radiohead (i know that's not a popular opinion)

I do however love Wilco, mainly I think because I'm drawn into songs often by lyrics. Great lyrics can make simple songs really stand out, but great music can't make up for weak lyrics in my mind. That said, while musically radiohead is fantastic, there's nothing about their lyrics that stand out to me.

well said.

1. I didn't read the article but can see the two bands being compared.

2. The King of Limbs is a brutal record.

4. Everything you read on the internet, whether it's a newspaper article or news article, seems to have errors in grammar or context. Why do these people still have jobs?

the comparison by the various media of the two bands is simply due to laziness (kind of like the 'rising from the ashes of Uncle Tupelo" and "they managed to sell the album to the same record company that fired them" crutches).

I've only been able to listen to KoL once or twice. Radiohead doesn't seem to be in my wheelhouse anyore.

I've never been able to get registered over there...

Also...you can't picture Miley Cyrus wanting to be introduced to Jeff and Pat at the Grammy awards. You also can't picture Jeff being anything other than gracious and friendly if such a request was made.

Meaning...Radiohead comes off to me as being arrogant, cold and aloof.

Wilco comes off as being warm and friendly.

Also...you can't picture Miley Cyrus wanting to be introduced to Jeff and Pat at the Grammy awards. You also can't picture Jeff being anything other than gracious and friendly if such a request was made.

I know that seems petty and stupid, but it was really a turnoff when Radiohead refused to meet with Miley Cyrus. I don't care what kind of music she makes or whatever, she was a fan excited to meet one of her favorite bands and they came across as elitist pricks by turning that down

It doesn't have to be one or the other, there's room for both in my book. I've seen both live multiple times and enjoyed each experience. I wasn't excited about the King of Limbs, but I will see the band when they tour again.

"there's a good probability that if you dislike one, you probably dislike the other."

Not so for me. I've tried many times over the years to listen and "like" Radiohead. I know they're an important band and I feel like I'm supposed to like them. My most recent attempt were this past week with SNL and Colbert. But try as I might, I just don't get Radiohead. Their music does absolutely nothing for me. I have now officially given up trying to like them. I will go on my Wilco way.