Agreed on Hard Promises. I think it's overlooked in Torpedoes' shadow. Haven't heard Long After Dark yet, other than the big hit. That's up in my library cue and you've made me more psyched to dive in.

Seriously, Kings Road is at this sweet spot between garage, classic rock, punk, power-pop for me. Can't get enough of that song.

I like the acoustic version of that song (Kings Road).

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's a great one.

Looks like that's Ron Blair at 2:48, on the TV --- Howie is in the video, too. Guessing this is right when Howie joined, not sure though. I could be completely wrong with the bass player being Blair, too.

Always loved how Mike took the guitar with him at the end, I would have, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtLpZWNyM0I

I just never notice Blair before and I  have seen this video a bazillin  of times since it was released --- it must have been deliberate. I think Blair kind of left, right ---- he wasn't fired or anything? Kinda like a shout out. 

That would have never happen with the Stones -- Wyman has been white-washed completely out of everything. Even if Wyman would come back, like Blair -- I still think he would have not been allowed to be photographed....

I believe he opened up some sort of clothing store when he left the band. I've always wondered about the story of how he came back. They could have just got a hired guy to fill in for Howie. There must be an interesting story there. I don't think they really talked about it much in the documentary.

Whoa, Long After Dark came in on my queue. It is fucking fantastic. It pretty much hits all the spots I want to hear from the Heartbreakers. The first 4 tracks are pretty much perfect.

I was waiting for this, ha ha ha!  Deliver Me and then Change of Heart is one of the greatest one-two combos, and Deliver Me is like the King's Road of Long After Dark!

I believe he opened up some sort of clothing store when he left the band. I've always wondered about the story of how he came back. They could have just got a hired guy to fill in for Howie. There must be an interesting story there. I don't think they really talked about it much in the documentary.

It was a bikini shop.  They couldn't really blame him...!  He got tired of touring and the rock n roll lifestyle in general, I've read but he stayed friendly with them and would go see them play live after he left.  I think Ron got hooked back up with them from the reunion for the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony, when Howie was near the end of his rope and was tragically so bad.

• 1 year later...

Maybe of little interest around here, but I'm seeing that Tom's daughters and widow have dropped lawsuits against one another over his estate. I can't begin to imagine what a painful mess that is, but one silver lining is that we will likely hear the long-teased Wildflowers box set in the not too distant future. There are few albums that I love as much as that one, and I'm excited to hear outtakes/demos from those sessions.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/tom-petty-estate-widow-daughters-settlement-926829/