Haven't pulled out my Dirty Work record out in a long while --- remember buying when it was released. My first Stones record I bought was Tattoo You (on 8 Track) then, Still Life on vinyl. Must have bought Tattoo You in late 81, because I remember getting Still Life soon after it was released.

Anyway - Dirty Work is ok -- production does stink. But Mick sings the hell out of "Winning Ugly" and the music on "Back to Zero" is pretty cool. 

Anyway, while reading up on Dirty Work, I forgot that Watts was going through his heroin/drinking phase during this time and Jagger did not want to go on tour, because Watts was not in any shape. Which of course pissed Richards off, since the whole reason for going into the studio was to record and then do a tour.

Crazy - 36 years later, hitting the road without Charlie.

It would been interesting to see how much the Stones history would have been altered, if they went on the road in 85 and 86. Guessing the 89 tour would not have happen. Even though 89 was the 1st show I seen him, I more than likely would have went to the 86 concerts with my older sister and her boyfriend. Guessing, my mom would have made my sister drag her 13 old brother along. Also,  if they went on the road in 86, they would not have brought along the backup singers and large horn section. It seemed that a lot went down - concert production wise - from 86 to 89. 

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just binged the 4 episodes of My Life as a Rolling Stone that were made available on BBC iPlayer as the first went out on air. Each of an hour focusing on the 4 individuals. Mick - bit bland

I really wish they would've stopped when Charlie died. Steve Jordan is a good drummer but he is wrong for the Stones. He doesn't swing. & Keith is losing it on guitar. His guitar signal is so proc

Happy 80th birthday to Keith!

• 2 months later...

Heading up to Minnesota today for the Stones' Sunday concert.  

I am looking forward to see what Steve Jordan brings to the table. Guessing it will be both a sad and sweet show.

I am glad I saw the two Soldier Field shows in 2019 --- those shows will serve as the bookends, while this weekend's show is the afterword. 

• 8 months later...

Just binged the 4 episodes of My Life as a Rolling Stone that were made available on BBC iPlayer as the first went out on air.

Each of an hour focusing on the 4 individuals.

Mick - bit bland. The usual kind of music biog type thing but with some good clips.

Keith - Anything where the Old Devil sits down and chats is, of course, great.

Ronnie - Really really good and learnt some things.

Charlie - Wow, this was fantastic. Have such a warm fuzzy feeling after watching. Highlight was seeing his touring tea set. 

Most bizarre thing - Bill airbrushed out of history . . . Mick T had more mentions, can't remember a single one for Bill. 

• Like 2

I really wish they would've stopped when Charlie died. Steve Jordan is a good drummer but he is wrong for the Stones. He doesn't swing. & Keith is losing it on guitar. His guitar signal is so processed that you really can't hear what he's actually playing. Ronnie is doing all of the heavy lifting on guitar these days. Some shows Mick actually sings, more he's shouting the whole show. Makes me sad. Maybe this tour will be it. I don't want them to embarrass themselves. Same for the Who.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/2/2022 at 8:18 PM, chuckrh said:

I really wish they would've stopped when Charlie died. Steve Jordan is a good drummer but he is wrong for the Stones. He doesn't swing. & Keith is losing it on guitar. His guitar signal is so processed that you really can't hear what he's actually playing. Ronnie is doing all of the heavy lifting on guitar these days. Some shows Mick actually sings, more he's shouting the whole show. Makes me sad. Maybe this tour will be it. I don't want them to embarrass themselves. Same for the Who.

The Who actually weren't too bad when i saw them recently.

5 hours ago, tinnitus photography said:

The Who actually weren't too bad when i saw them recently.

Hate to say it but right now I'd rather use my limited entertainment dollars for baseball tickets. Really enjoy that this year. We've got a good team & budding superstar in Julio Rodriguez. It's been over 20 years since we've been in the playoffs. I'm still going to some shows but as far as the big ticket ones go I've got RHCP because Frusciante is back & Roger Waters. I got lucky on Waters & got really good inexpensive tickets before COVID. Everything else is smaller. I'll probably bite on Springsteen but only if I can get the under $100 tickets. It's becoming more of a challenge for me to go & I'm nervous about COVID due to other health issues. When I had it in June (pretty sure I caught it at the Dylan show) I narrowly avoided going to the hospital in an ambulance. Where I sit at the games there's lots of elbow room & the Mariners staff on the ground level are very good about taking care of me. They're also taking care of me for RHCP. Ticketbastard's non existent customer service haven't responded. I talked to Mariners staff when I was at the game & they're going to change my seats. When the tickets went on sale the system blew up when you tried to get ADA seats.

Back to the Who. I just don't care for Daltry's voice now & the orchestra thing is a marginal thrill for me at best. I've heard some tapes. I've seen the Who plenty & I'm going to leave it at that. Tickets were really expensive. If the Stones come back around, I'm going to pass on that too. It's not the Stones to me without Charlie.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

Today, for the 1st time since 1986, I bought a new Stones' release on vinyl.

I never have buy multiply variations of a record --- of course I bought a Target one today and waiting on the White Sox and the Paul Smith version to come via the mail. 

After a few listens to the Hackney Diamonds --- I am still trying to get past the production -- the drums, especially. I don't think Jordan is the issue, either -- just they way the drums were recorded.

I glad the band got away from Don Was - but perhaps a picking a different producer would have been better. 

Oddly enough I am having issues with the sound of the latest Wilco, too.

With each listen, I seem to be enjoying it more and more, though I am happen to have more issues with the Wilco one -- perhaps because I had higher hopes for Cousin.

• 1 month later...

He doesn't look a day under 90 - god love 'em.

Waiting to see the setlists before getting Chicago tickets -- want to see at least three new songs being played - the more the better.

After multiple listens, I have come to really enjoy Hackney Diamonds. 

• Like 2