• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just binged the 4 episodes of My Life as a Rolling Stone that were made available on BBC iPlayer as the first went out on air. Each of an hour focusing on the 4 individuals. Mick - bit bland

I really wish they would've stopped when Charlie died. Steve Jordan is a good drummer but he is wrong for the Stones. He doesn't swing. & Keith is losing it on guitar. His guitar signal is so proc

Happy 80th birthday to Keith!

The Bobby Keys film is great. Some great interview stuff with Keith & Charlie. I waited out the TM waiting room. Took about 15 minutes. I ended up getting the exact tickets I wanted in Seattle. ADA seats in the front of the upper deck, Keith side, about even with the end of the catwalk (50 yard line). $100 each, not cheap but not out of line. Could be way worse. We've sat there for some spectacles (U2, Metallica, G 'n R) & the perspective is very good. & the sound there at Century Link is excellent. I'm quite happy with how it turned out. I've seen the Stones over 20 times from a club to arena to stadium. Have spent hundreds of dollars for tix in the past. Those days are gone but is ok. I can't stand for a show & would rather have a seat with no one in front of me. In fact almost have to nowadays. Excited.

Which club show did you catch?

My best seat/venue I ever saw them in was Alpine Valley in 89 -- we were about 25 rows back dead center. 

All the other times was in large arenasdomes or football stadiums.

I was back home in CT briefly in August of '89 when rumors started flying about The Stones possibly playing small club, Toad's Place. Hard to believe a rumor like that, and I (we) brushed it off. 

Well, I guess they had been rehearsing for weeks in a remote part of CT and actually DID play Toad's to a crowd of just over 500 people a night after the rumors started. Their first live performance in 5 yrs or so.

Still kicking myself in the ass for not even attempting to follow up and head to Toad's Place that night.

Now "in line" for the 2nd Soldier Field. I may have Bears presale code. CLUBSTH

Thanks for the code -- I was trying to get tickets for my brother-in-law, but nothing was really great popping ups so far. So we are going to wait until tomorrow. Esp. since I already have tickets for Friday. 

My best seat/venue I ever saw them in was Alpine Valley in 89 -- we were about 25 rows back dead center. 

All the other times was in large arenasdomes or football stadiums.

I saw them at the Joint (Hard Rock Hotel Las Vegas) before the remodel. It was1200 capacity. Still a nice venue but 4000 capacity now. The Licks tour. Then I saw them the next night @ MGM Grand Arena (smallish arena), with good seats. That show was actually the better of the 2. Sticky Fingers night, got my only "Can't You Hear Me Knocking". They also did a stripped down "Brown Sugar" on the B stage that was stunning. Just the boys, he who shall not be named (Chuck Leavell) & a magnificent sax solo by Bobby Keys.  :rock

I was back home in CT briefly in August of '89 when rumors started flying about The Stones possibly playing small club, Toad's Place. Hard to believe a rumor like that, and I (we) brushed it off. 

Well, I guess they had been rehearsing for weeks in a remote part of CT and actually DID play Toad's to a crowd of just over 500 people a night after the rumors started. Their first live performance in 5 yrs or so.

Still kicking myself in the ass for not even attempting to follow up and head to Toad's Place that night.

They played a surprised show in Chicago at the Double Door in 97 - I can't say I was hip enough to hear rumors or if I was I forgot - but a month later, I moved into an apartment that was a couple blocks from the Double Door, it would have been fun at least to hang around the club during the show.

I saw them at the Joint (Hard Rock Hotel Las Vegas) before the remodel. It was1200 capacity. Still a nice venue but 4000 capacity now. The Licks tour. Then I saw them the next night @ MGM Grand Arena (smallish arena), with good seats. That show was actually the better of the 2. Sticky Fingers night, got my only "Can't You Hear Me Knocking". They also did a stripped down "Brown Sugar" on the B stage that was stunning. Just the boys, he who shall not be named (Chuck Leavell) & a magnificent sax solo by Bobby Keys.  :rock

I tried to get tickets for their Licks' Chicago club gig - at the Aragon, but had no lock. Aragon has a much larger capacity (5,000) - plus it's not the best venue for sound. It would have been cool to see, though.

Lammy, I did see that, didn't download it though. Did you know they added a keyboard player?

Also, on Bostroms site, there is a compilation of all the "space" jams they used to do. Havent listened to that yet either but saw them do that jam a few times back in the day.

Lammy, I did see that, didn't download it though. Did you know they added a keyboard player?

Also, on Bostroms site, there is a compilation of all the "space" jams they used to do. Havent listened to that yet either but saw them do that jam a few times back in the day.

I saw the keyboard player in the post from the MPs when I was listening to the download.They sounded really good, though, as Elmo has been with them awhile now, and....Bostrom (don't know if he's "back" or was just filling in for his fill-in!).

In the past, I've downloaded a bunch of stuff from Bostrom's site (not sure if he still has some of the 80s/early 90s stuff up there). 

Btw, Bostrom is back full time. Sahm either moved to Europe or Bostrom pushed him out, don't know what the story is. I thought Sahm was a great drummer but Bostrom being back is cool too.

• 6 months later...

Pretty great show last night. The sound on the field was a bit of an echo chamber - a lot of delay off the back of the stadium. We were sitting right even with the delay speaker towers that were facing the back of stadium, so I am guessing that was was the issue. Towards the end of the show we went to the end of the bowl and it sounded better.

The band definitely was a bit rusty - but the guitar tones were fantastic --- Jagger sounded pretty great, too. 

Highlights were Sad, Sad, Sad and You got me Rocking. The only bit of clunker was Let's Spend the Night together. Midnight Rambler cooked pretty good, too.

Lastly the crowd around us was fantastic -- young and old were singing and dancing their hearts out. No chatter, no drunk idiots. It was a perfect night.

It was a great night! I thought Mick, Charlie and, in particular Ronnie, were great. I'm a Keith guy. He had a terrible night playing wise and looked terrible. Hope it was just a one night thing.

Calvino - the songs you chose as highlights - so interesting! The deepest cuts of the night. 

Mick Jagger commenting on Ed Burke - what?

Yeah, the whole Lightfoot and Burke moment was pretty cool....

I wish all the songs were 'deep cuts'.

Keith was definitely not at his finest, but I really enjoyed the sound of his guitar/amp set up. Sure he hit bum notes/chords, but they sounded great.

I am hoping for a better performance from him on Tuesday, though. 

i have to wait until mid August. like the return of the B stage. pretty sure they will be changing those songs up. i know they rehearsed "play with fire" & "sweet virginia" for that. it always takes them a bit to get into the swing of things for a tour. i just dl'd a tape of the show. word is ronnie is doing a joe walsh & playing great in his sober old age. i seen shows where that was definitely not the case! keith will limber up & hopefully keep the drinking down to a reasonable level. that catches up to everyone, even him, at some point.

listened to the tape. not bad for first night of the tour! very cool segue into "You Gotta Move" during the Rambler. excellent Jumpin Jack Flash. i prefer it when they play that closer to the original rather than a long drawn out version. excited for the tour in general. i'm in contact with the guy who runs IORR. he's probably the number 1 stones fan in the world. think i'm going to take him out to dinner or something when he hits town. i am willing to bet he has some great stories!

Yeah, the whole Lightfoot and Burke moment was pretty cool....

yes and strange that those names came up but not Buddy Guy, Chess Records, Howlin' Wolf, the Double Door, the Aragon etc.

Forgot to mentioned that Jagger's harmonica solo during Rambler was a major highlight, too.

Mick is a great & underrated harp player. I don't think he is any slouch on guitar either. I'm more of a Keith guy but have much respect for Mick as a musician. I was lucky I got to see them 3 times before it became the Rolling Stones Revue in 1989. I have seen some stellar shows though since 1989. We are lucky they are still playing. The law of averages being what it is, I don't think there are going to be many more chances. It should be interesting to see how the tour unfolds.