Wilco — 12/18/11, Chicago, IL (Lincoln Hall)

I'm a rookie when it comes to obtaining copies of live shows. Where would I go to find the best quality recordings of vic, metro, and lincoln hall shows from last week? Downloaded vic and LH via steamengine but wasn’t impressed with the sound quality..especially at higher volumes. Of the two LH sounded cleaner.

Many thanks in advance...

And no disrespect to the people that taped and uploaded the shows I just mentioned...I'm a stickler when it comes to sound quality and didn’t know what to expect. I'm assuming soundboard quality is a stretch...That being said, I was at these shows and they sounded unbelievable when I was listening live so perhaps it's an unfair expectation on my behalf.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been listening to this show all week. I can't believe how awesome No Time for the Season is. I don't think Ive ever heard it live before, and they have basically made it into a "modern" abstract Wilco song".

As far as the quality. I'd rate the audio about a B+...the first track is really quiet for some reason, but it eventually picks up. You can also hear a great amount of detail. Tracks like Red Rising Lung sound great. Best of all the audience chatter is minimal, mainly because the people present were all diehard fans and werent singing or talking much during the performance.

If you want a pristine Wilco Live show, I recommend hunting down the band released Live at the 9:30 Club. it was a freebie for folks that bought the Wilco DVD. The sound quality on this recording is nothing short of amazing, and the set list is fantastic,

I can't believe how awesome No Time for the Season is. I don't think Ive ever heard it live before, and they have basically made it into a "modern" abstract Wilco song".

I know that you mean Not For The Season, but I can't help imagining what you wrote as some sort of anti-Zombies tune or parody or something. Haha.

I have been listening to this show all week. I can't believe how awesome No Time for the Season is. I don't think Ive ever heard it live before, and they have basically made it into a "modern" abstract Wilco song".

As far as the quality. I'd rate the audio about a B+...the first track is really quiet for some reason, but it eventually picks up. You can also hear a great amount of detail. Tracks like Red Rising Lung sound great. Best of all the audience chatter is minimal, mainly because the people present were all diehard fans and werent singing or talking much during the performance.

If you want a pristine Wilco Live show, I recommend hunting down the band released Live at the 9:30 Club. it was a freebie for folks that bought the Wilco DVD. The sound quality on this recording is nothing short of amazing, and the set list is fantastic,

I am not defending the Audio I captured(which i feel for a audience recording is really good.....not my first rodeo) but you simply can't compare a Audience recording to a SBD mixed recording from the band, that really is Apples and Oranges, If all we had were "pristine" recordings then we wouldn't have many at all. It seems you are grading the recording that way, but if you want to give it a grade, then it really should be against other audience recordings. I was just about to put up my second source but seeing as how it isn't as superior as a the "pristine" show you listed seems I shouldn't bother :stunned

I am not defending the Audio I captured(which i feel for a audience recording is really good.....not my first rodeo) but you simply can't compare a Audience recording to a SBD mixed recording from the band, that really is Apples and Oranges, If all we had were "pristine" recordings then we wouldn't have many at all. It seems you are grading the recording that way, but if you want to give it a grade, then it really should be against other audience recordings. I was just about to put up my second source but seeing as how it isn't as superior as a the "pristine" show you listed seems I shouldn't bother :stunned

I've been listening to audience recordings since the early 1970s. Your Lincoln Hall recording was exceptionally good and really captured the ambience of the room. That feeling of being there is something that a soundboard recording just can't re-create.

Please do put up that second source! And thanks so much for sharing. We attended the first two shows but weren't able to stay in town all week, so experiencing them vicariously like this is very, very special.

I prefer excellent audience recordings (like this one) to soundboards anyday. Thanks again to darktrain for a great recording of a classic show. I will be listening to it for years to come.

Me too and this recording is excellent. Far superior to that of a "B+" recording.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can get you a copy, if you don't do the torrant thing, Lou. It was funny hearing you name on the tape.

Cool....feel free to burn me a copy of you would. No rush. Will buy you a few drinks at the Green Mill if we meet up then.

LouieB

Cool....feel free to burn me a copy of you would. No rush. Will buy you a few drinks at the Green Mill if we meet up then.

LouieB

Oh Louie, you are the epitome of cool. I would have been plotzing to hear Jeff say my name from the stage that night, and I would be passing that recording around to anyone who would listen!

I loved what he said, too, about the room being so small that they knew everyone there by name. The recording is wonderful--you're in for a treat.

• 1 month later...

The fact that I got to see this show has taken weeks to set in. It's crazy, me, five hundred other people, one of my favorite comedians, my favorite band, all in their smallest venue since 2002... You can't describe something like that to someone. The show was only highlighted by the fact that my dad somehow got VIP tickets as an early Christmas present. Which not only involved me watching Fred Armisen right next to John, Pat and Glen but meeting Jeff and John before the show in the green room. (When asked by Jeff if there were any songs I would like to hear I said 'Um... All of them.' Oh well maybe next time...) After meeting those two they could have gone on stage and played all Black Eyed Peas and it would have been the best show of my life. But they didn't. They played the most awesome setlist ever (as I have described it to people "the setlist for the dedicated Wilco fan"). When it comes down to it every song was great but for me On and On and On really takes the cake. Less the song its self and more Jeff's speech before hand talking about the Lounge Axe. During that song is when it hit me that we were all sharing something with each other and with the band. I was never alive to go to Lounge Axe but I understand the significance in Jeff's life, and to see Wilco play (basically) there after all this time..... I just don't think it will ever be repeated. My thoughts are still scattered, but one thing I can clearly articulate is that after that show I realized that I'm so lucky to love Wilco the way I do. On a selfish level, the amount of joy it brings me something that I am extremely grateful for. But on a more communal level, me, those five hundred other people, and countless others who couldn't make the show all share this joy for something that, in my mind, really almost makes us a family. It is quite a magical thing, and I don't think happens to often. All I can say is I'm glad to be part of it.

• 6 years later...