Wilco — 12/18/11, Chicago, IL (Lincoln Hall)

So, who's all going to the Irving Park & Cicero Sears tonight?

I've been in line all day.

One other thing about the extremely close quarters was forgetting that the whole crew could easily hear pre-show conversations. :wine

Heh. Yeah. Apologies for that, good sirs. That was a lot of underwear talk.

I'm running on 4 hours of sleep after the drive home last night and a full day of work, so I don't feel like I've even had time to digest all of the experiences of the last week. I'm so glad I was able to make every show because each one offered something a little bit different in terms of atmosphere and setlist. "At My Window" was a highlight last night as well as the incredible silence in the venue during the show. Damn. During many of the songs, I kept reminding myself to appreciate every note because when will I hear Laminated Cat by the full band again? Or On and On and On (a song I never appreciated on the album but love live)? Or Dash 7? Or At My Window, for that matter? I wanted each moment to last twice as long so I could cement everything to memory. Wilco on stage at Lincoln Hall.

Now how do you attend a Wilco show at The Overture Center? I mean, I'll do it... ;) I'm just saying.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah, changing room 2.

haha Preferred B! good one! Got me hook line and sinker :]

I just woke up and saw your post. Jumped in car and went to six corners Sears.

They kinda thought i was crazy when I asked if there any sorta appearances tonight.

SFM silly ******me

Oh well, needed to hit Jewel for cat food and Absolute anyway.

So, who's all going to the Irving Park & Cicero Sears tonight?

I bought a nice ping pong table. However, no kidsmoke/ no spiders.

Any help out there for getting a copy of last nights show? ( and Riv )

Im having some trouble with bit torrent..

This really did feel like a living room show, but with the whole band. It was moving enough to make me cry (the first 3 songs = tearjerker for a softie like me), nostalgically awesome enough that I let go an uncontrollable and embarrassing "woo hoo!" (back in your old neighborhood, cigarettes taste so good), and quiet enough in between songs that you could hear a pin drop.

This whole weekend ended up being quite an amazing one. I had a reunion with my old college roommate; we lived in a shitty apartment upstairs from Lounge Ax (technically above the Jury Room, also gone). We would sell used CDs to afford the amazing $6-7 omelets at Clarke's across the street. Fast forward 18 years...on Saturday we had a 3.5 hour long lunch at Clarke's! We gazed across the street and reminisced about old times, trying to remember the original storefronts. Eating our $9 omelets. Holy shit, I saw Wilco at Three Penny Movie Theater last night!

By the way, the Lounge Ax building is vacant again. Somebody, do something...!!!!!!

Thanks for the info, Lou. gonna check out 3504 w. lake st. fo sho

;Inspiration posted that they made $39000 on the event. Way to go. Check out my earlier posts for links to donate to Inspiration Corp if you are so inspired during the holiday season.

Regarding Lounge Ax - It was the last of the great clubs on the Lincoln Ave strip which some of us were reminiscing about in line. In the 70s and 80s the strip of Lincoln Ave was the place to go. With the demise of LA the area really wasn't a place folks went any more. Lincoln Hall, the site fo the old Three Penny Cinema, has revived the strip a bit, but except for the Victory Gardens Theater in the old Biograph across the street, I rarely go to the neighborhood anymore. Wicker Park long ago replaced Lincoln Park as the hip hood. In its day the Fullerton/Lincoln/Halstead area was hot. The list of clubs we would go to included Wise Fools, Orphans, Holsteins, Somebody Elses Troubles, Ratsos, The Bulls,Kingston Mines, BLUES and bars like John Barleycorn, Katzenjammers, Sturches the Red Lion and a myriad of places I can no longer remember including some obnoxious rock and roll bar I avoided. Wax Trax Records was on the strip too, along with the Guild Bookstore, and a bunch of other great bookstores and other stores. including the Seminary (Cemetary) Restaurant that is where McDonalds is now. Unce Dans Army Navy Store was great too (US Robotics started in a loft above it later on.) Maybe Lincoln Hall is enough of an anchor for a revitalization of the area. Now that the entire north side of Chicago is similar in tone to this area and parking is something of a nightmare, it isn't as attractive as it used to be. The Young and the Hip have moved on to different areas. When LA was forced out the interest drained. (The original Potbelly Sandwhich shop also on the strip.) Another great controversy in the area was when Children's Memorial Hospital took over a large patch of storefronts and tore them down to build a parking lot. Now even Chidren's is leaving the neighborhood.

I know I sound like the old guy I am, but the memories I have of nights on this strip were incredible, long before LA even existed. If any club replaced LA it would be the Hideout. But nothing can replace LA and really nothing has replaced the Lincoln Ave strip for me.

LouieB

And it won't even be called "Children's Memorial" anymore.

That's probably a good thing. It is an excellent hospital, but the memorial part didn't engender enough confidence anymore I guess. Howerver my daughter, Rosie (formerly Tweedy's Gurl) got excellent treatment there back in the day.

LouieB

;Inspiration posted that they made $39000 on the event. Way to go. Check out my earlier posts for links to donate to Inspiration Corp if you are so inspired during the holiday season.

Regarding Lounge Ax - It was the last of the great clubs on the Lincoln Ave strip which some of us were reminiscing about in line. In the 70s and 80s the strip of Lincoln Ave was the place to go. With the demise of LA the area really wasn't a place folks went any more. Lincoln Hall, the site fo the old Three Penny Cinema, has revived the strip a bit, but except for the Victory Gardens Theater in the old Biograph across the street, I rarely go to the neighborhood anymore. Wicker Park long ago replaced Lincoln Park as the hip hood. In its day the Fullerton/Lincoln/Halstead area was hot. The list of clubs we would go to included Wise Fools, Orphans, Holsteins, Somebody Elses Troubles, Ratsos, The Bulls,Kingston Mines, BLUES and bars like John Barleycorn, Katzenjammers, Sturches the Red Lion and a myriad of places I can no longer remember including some obnoxious rock and roll bar I avoided. Wax Trax Records was on the strip too, along with the Guild Bookstore, and a bunch of other great bookstores and other stores. including the Seminary (Cemetary) Restaurant that is where McDonalds is now. Unce Dans Army Navy Store was great too (US Robotics started in a loft above it later on.) Maybe Lincoln Hall is enough of an anchor for a revitalization of the area. Now that the entire north side of Chicago is similar in tone to this area and parking is something of a nightmare, it isn't as attractive as it used to be. The Young and the Hip have moved on to different areas. When LA was forced out the interest drained. (The original Potbelly Sandwhich shop also on the strip.) Another great controversy in the area was when Children's Memorial Hospital took over a large patch of storefronts and tore them down to build a parking lot. Now even Chidren's is leaving the neighborhood.

I know I sound like the old guy I am, but the memories I have of nights on this strip were incredible, long before LA even existed. If any club replaced LA it would be the Hideout. But nothing can replace LA and really nothing has replaced the Lincoln Ave strip for me.

LouieB

Great post Louie. Love hearing stories like that

What I left out were the names of all the jazz, folk, blues, and rock musicians I actually saw at those clubs. And many I can't even recall anymore. We also reminiced about the Quiet Knight, another great club, which used to be around the corner from the Vic.

LouieB

What I left out were the names of all the jazz, folk, blues, and rock musicians I actually saw at those clubs. And many I can't even recall anymore. We also reminiced about the Quiet Knight, another great club, which used to be around the corner from the Vic.

LouieB

Also, Crash Palace.... owned (if I remember) by Jourgensen from Ministry, also of legend as the place where Cobain met Courtney Love... now Delilahs

Some people were asking me after the show last night about how many songs they played over the five nights this time and I just went through and counted them up. I came up with a total of 100 different songs played over the course of this run.

That includes Outtasite (Outta Mind) and Outta Mind (Outta Sight) as separate songs, but only counts Spiders once, even though the acoustic version is a vastly different song than the regular one. And it also includes Cruel To Be Kind, You Are Not Alone and The Weight from the first night (doesn't that seem like a long time ago?)

Not sure exactly how that compares to the Residency — don't have time to go back and count those up right now — but still a pretty awesome run overall. Thanks, Wilco! :thumbup

I crunched the Residency numbers, and came up with 96 unique songs over those five nights. So, hot damn! With little setlist fanfare beforehand, they managed to outdo themselves during the Incredible Shrinking Tour.

LouieB

Didn't the Quiet Knight turn into Tut's which turned into Avalon?

I sure do miss Lounge Ax. I probably saw 60-70 shows there over the years. I love Metro, but Lounge Ax will always be my all-time favorite club.

I don't know if you can consider it "outdoing" since they added 2 albums worth of new material since the Residency. Regardless, those are impressive numbers!

It's a different concept, obviously, but I don't think having more songs to draw from makes it less impressive that they pulled out even more individual songs. The Residency was billed as a five-show run during which Wilco would play their entire officially-released output, and they did that. This run of show was billed as ... five shows in increasingly smaller venues. They didn't promote anything about the setlists, so it's very cool that they went for this kind of variety.

The Residency still has a special place in my heart, of course.

I crunched the Residency numbers, and came up with 96 unique songs over those five nights. So, hot damn! With little setlist fanfare beforehand, they managed to outdo themselves during the Incredible Shrinking Tour.

I think it's actually 99, unless i counted incorrectly. Either way, there's not many bands out there willing to play that much of their own discography on a whole tour, let alone one week. I love that just as we start to doubt the length and variety of the setlists, theis is what they do

I think it's actually 99, unless i counted incorrectly. Either way, there's not many bands out there willing to play that much of their own discography on a whole tour, let alone one week. I love that just as we start to doubt the length and variety of the setlists, theis is what they do

They are following the template that many bands follow on long stands in the same town and mix things up. They just don't do a large number of stands that we get to see this in action more often.

They are following the template that many bands follow on long stands in the same town and mix things up. They just don't do a large number of stands that we get to see this in action more often.

Agreed. Another thing is that the setlists tend to get less varied at the beginning of touring an album, and all it takes is something like this to open up the setlist possibilities for the future parts of the tour. They were just warming up in the first leg, and now their ready to fire on all cylinders.

Didn't the Quiet Knight turn into Tut's which turned into Avalon?

Yes that is correct. Now it is a hair dresser or something, I don't know. You can see it from the el. But the bookings at the Quiet Knight were unreal. They rivaled those at Amazingrace, but in a classic night club setting, tiny tables squashed together, with a two drink minimum. Those days are over.

LouieB

I figured out the whole torrent thing because I wanted to hear this show again so badly, so I wanted to share the mp3 version for the not so tech savvy folks like myself. Hopefully this link works!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/w0mc2n

thankee! I was looking for a mp3 version. I don't think i'll ever have the ear to be an audiophile, mp3 works for me!