Wilco — 12/18/11, Chicago, IL (Lincoln Hall)

What else can you say? Just a great end to a great week--2 hours, 32 minutes and 31 songs, by my count.

The complete setlist, as played:

One Sunday Morning

One By One

In A Future Age

Country Disappeared

When The Roses Bloom Again

Why Would You Wanna Live

Cars Can't Escape

Rising Red Lung

At My Window Sad And Lonely

Someday, Some Morning, Sometime

Laminated Cat (acoustic arrangement)

Open Mind

Dash 7

Remember The Mountain Bed

You And I

I'll Fight (w/Fred Armisen on maracas and tambourine)

Born Alone

Spiders (Kidsmoke) (acoustic arrangement)

Whole Love

Art Of Almost

------------------------------

Someday Soon

Airline To Heaven

Passenger Side

It's Just That Simple

California Stars

I Must Be High

Dawned On Me

War On War

I Might

-----------------------------

Misunderstood

On And On And On (dedicated to Lounge Ax)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Closest thing to a perfect set they could've done for me.

Thanks to Wilco, all of the openers, Ryan Adams, The Joy Formidable, and Morrissey for an amazing eight consecutive nights of rock n roll!

SO many times during this set I was like "OH MY GOD, I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY PLAYED THAT" and then they just kept finding ways to top the last really awesome thing.

It was largely an acoustic-driven set, with Jeff only using the electric guitar for the new songs (didn't use an electric at all up until Born Alone). John got a HUGE ovation for Just That Simple. This was the first time I heard the full-band-acoustic-arrangement for Spiders, which was amazing. Spiders was my number 2 moment of the night, just cause the Misunderstood second encore was just TOO perfect. Also loved Not For The Season and all the Mermaid Ave cuts in general.

It felt a lot like a Jeff solo show, in that he used the acoustic guitar a lot, there were quite a few deep cuts, and for most of the show the lights weren't overpowering. They didn't bring along the big lighting that they used the first few nights, and instead had a few lamps around the stage. Of course for the new songs (especially Art of Almost) they made great use of the lights that Lincoln Hall just normally has, but most of the show the lights were pretty subdued.

I haven't been seeing Wilco as long as some on the board, but this was definitely my favorite Wilco show. Just, wow.

I was so hoping they would ask for volunteers to get bumped from my flight home yesterday so I could stick around for one more show. Can't complain at all about the amazing shows I did see, but this setlist is absolutely killer. I started to reply with a list of songs, the combination of which would have literally made my head explode to have heard in one night, but the list kept growing until it was almost half of the show! I hope everyone had an awesome time!

Quote of the night- Jeff talks about saving all the sad songs for this show and someone shouts from the crowd, "does that mean you're playing cars can't escape?" Jeff misheard it as "Christ can't explain" and says "We're gonna take a 5 minute break and go write that song"

Actually I requested that for London. Request got delayed in the Christmas post I guess.

An Unwelcome Guest would really blow my mind but I thought that was too unrealistic an ask - would have worked with Sir Nicholas on lead maybe ...

Great Show!

If only every venue could be like this...

We arrived at showtime after barbeque and were amongst the last to arrive.

In the back of the room and could still see that "bob" on Jeff's every fifth guitar!

Jeff asked what she was ranting about.

As she passed by me on the way out was ranting,:"What about the 99?"

She was loud and defiant. Smiling saying next stop: Oakland !!

Crazy rides rockets ..

SO many times during this set I was like "OH MY GOD, I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY PLAYED THAT" and then they just kept finding ways to top the last really awesome thing. It was largely an acoustic-driven set, with Jeff only using the electric guitar for the new songs (didn't use an electric at all up until Born Alone). John got a HUGE ovation for Just That Simple. This was the first time I heard the full-band-acoustic-arrangement for Spiders, which was amazing. Spiders was my number 2 moment of the night, just cause the Misunderstood second encore was just TOO perfect. Also loved Not For The Season and all the Mermaid Ave cuts in general. It felt a lot like a Jeff solo show, in that he used the acoustic guitar a lot, there were quite a few deep cuts, and for most of the show the lights weren't overpowering. They didn't bring along the big lighting that they used the first few nights, and instead had a few lamps around the stage. Of course for the new songs (especially Art of Almost) they made great use of the lights that Lincoln Hall just normally has, but most of the show the lights were pretty subdued. I haven't been seeing Wilco as long as some on the board, but this was definitely my favorite Wilco show. Just, wow.

The full-band-accoustic-arraingment for Spiders was amazing . Perfect for this room. Amazing effort, This crowd loved it.

What else can you say? Just a great end to a great week--2 hours, 32 minutes and 31 songs, by my count.

The complete setlist, as played:

One Sunday Morning

One By One

In A Future Age

Country Disappeared

When The Roses Bloom Again

Why Would You Wanna Live

Cars Can't Escape

Rising Red Lung

Someday, Some Morning, Sometime

Not For The Season

Open Mind

Dash 7

Remember The Mountain Bed

You And I

I'll Fight (w/Fred Armisen on maracas and tambourine)

Born Alone

Spiders (Kidsmoke) (acoustic arrangement)

Whole Love

Art Of Almost

------------------------------

Someday Soon

Airline To Heaven

Passenger Side

It's Just That Simple

California Stars

I Must Be High

Dawned On Me

War On War

I Might

-----------------------------

Misunderstood

On And On And On (dedicated to Lounge Ax)

'Dear Santa,

Please can you arrange for...

Oh dammit, that's just not going to happen, feck, feckity feck and booger'

(Sighs) '

But it's all gonna appear online - yeah?!

Just a tremendous show. Watching from the hallway at LH is much preferred to the hall at the Metro! Definitely agree with the acoustic benefit vibe, very laid back, lots of deep cuts. Highlights were basically the first 11 songs and Spiders.

I think there were more than five Mermaid Ave songs. But the night also belonged to Nels, maybe because I was standing on his side. On the two other nights the entire band was louder and he was submerged in the overall mix. Last night he seemed to get more play and jeff seemed to be featuring him. He also seemed to be enjoying the attention and even talked at one point near the end. The non-kraut rock Spiders was pretty fucking cool.

Just a reminder that the show was a benefit for the Inspiration Corp, a non profit group in chicago that does job training and other services for the homeless. They also have a couple restaurants, on in Uptown and one near Garfeld Park. While the show netted Inspiration quite a bit, any fans who didn't make the show can certainly donate through the link on wilcoworld or google. They passed out cookies at the beginning of the show.

LouieB

I think there were more than five Mermaid Ave songs. But the night also belonged to Nels, maybe because I was standing on his side. On the two other nights the entire band was louder and he was submerged in the overall mix. Last night he seemed to get more play and jeff seemed to be featuring him. He also seemed to be enjoying the attention and even talked at one point near the end. The non-kraut rock Spiders was pretty fucking cool.

Just a reminder that the show was a benefit for the Inspiration Corp, a non profit group in chicago that does job training and other services for the homeless. They also have a couple restaurants, on in Uptown and one near Garfeld Park. While the show netted Inspiration quite a bit, any fans who didn't make the show can certainly donate through the link on wilcoworld or google. They passed out cookies at the beginning of the show.

LouieB

Ahh yes actually 6 Mermaid songs...you are correct!

LouieB

The benefit nature of the show; the end of a five night stand in their hometown; the last show before the holiday break...adds up to an epic night and an apparent thankyou to the Chicago fans.

I am envious.

This band is at the peak of its powers, everybody seems to be on their A game every night. One can only hope that there will be another six months or so of tourning after the jaunt over to Europe in early 12.

Please share a link when it's posted. I'm looking for the Opera and Metro shows as well yet. I personally loved the slow song heavyness of the show, but I can see where someone may not want that as a one off show. Maybe it was the mood I was in at that point, but it was just about perfect. Pieholden Suite would have put it over the top!

Some people were asking me after the show last night about how many songs they played over the five nights this time and I just went through and counted them up. I came up with a total of 100 different songs played over the course of this run.

That includes Outtasite (Outta Mind) and Outta Mind (Outta Sight) as separate songs, but only counts Spiders once, even though the acoustic version is a vastly different song than the regular one. And it also includes Cruel To Be Kind, You Are Not Alone and The Weight from the first night (doesn't that seem like a long time ago?)

Not sure exactly how that compares to the Residency — don't have time to go back and count those up right now — but still a pretty awesome run overall. Thanks, Wilco! :thumbup

P.S. One of my favorite parts of last night's Lincoln Hall show (beside the ridiculously intimate environs) was all of Jeff's various shoutouts and banter with friends toward the front. Can I get a 'great', Louie? :lol And 'twas an admirable defense of the meteorological profession, Mr. virtualreason!