I know we are still in the WHOLE LOVE tour cycle and promotion (and what a wonderful record and tour!); however, always one to look forward to the nerxt thing, I was wondering if there was any word on the next thing.

As I see it, there are two possible interesting possibilities:

YHF 10th anniversary box set (YHF with remastering, Demos, outtakes, live show). Jeff has said this was an interesting possibility. I don't know how much prep time this would take and if it would need Jim's active input, but this seems like a real possibility, if not this year. Jefferest in such a project in a Billboard Magazine interview last year. I am assuming tht dBpm will have the rights to any future release of at least portions of the Wilco Catalogue. But those are the two hangups...Jim O'Rourke's participation and dBpm rights or prior Wilco releases. AND if Jeff has any interest in pursuing saie project.

Live DVD/CD of the current tour. There have been some really transcendant moments on this tour, and any of the Chicago shows would be a nice release. There appears to be some pro-video shot of at least one show.

Usually, there is word floating around about future projects. With the advent of the new label, the band will need to keep some 'product' in the pipeline.

I haven't heard anything beyond what you've mentioned and what's been discussed in other threads -- but all I can say is that I'd love to have both. I've been listening to a handful of the Wilco-the-quartet shows from 2001 and the five-piece from 2002-2003. There were some great shows in that YHF tour and some great early versions of AGIB tunes.

I know they did an Austin City Limits & all...but I'd really like to see a nice DVD/CD set. Great chance for the new label too.

The last live, "Kicking Television" is old enough now to warrant a new volume...especially with how varied their set lists are...I'd be hoping for a triple live CD, priced at a nice double CD price...but hey that's just my personal hope.

Any official documentation from this tour would be appreciated. I think "The Whole Love" is both my favorite, and their strongest release, and they did plenty of songs from the album on this last tour (just like they did lots of tracks from "A Ghost Is Born" on "Kicking Television")...

That 10th anniversary "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" would be nice too...but...

I'd rather see them put out a nice collection of all their rare, odd, b-side tracks on their new label...and...

Since they run their own label now, and they are such an incredible live band, with such varied set lists, different line-ups, etc.

I think that doing some kind of series of official live release series would be incredible!!

They got their own label...it's time for the studio & live Wilco bootleg series/Anthology albums to begin!!

I know they did an Austin City Limits & all...but I'd really like to see a nice DVD/CD set. Great chance for the new label too.

The last live, "Kicking Television" is old enough now to warrant a new volume...especially with how varied their set lists are...I'd be hoping for a triple live CD, priced at a nice double CD price...but hey that's just my personal hope.

Any official documentation from this tour would be appreciated. I think "The Whole Love" is both my favorite, and their strongest release, and they did plenty of songs from the album on this last tour (just like they did lots of tracks from "A Ghost Is Born" on "Kicking Television")...

That 10th anniversary "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" would be nice too...but...

I'd rather see them put out a nice collection of all their rare, odd, b-side tracks on their new label...and...

Since they run their own label now, and they are such an incredible live band, with such varied set lists, different line-ups, etc.

I think that doing some kind of series of official live release series would be incredible!!

They got their own label...it's time for the studio & live Wilco bootleg series/Anthology albums to begin!!

I still love Kicking Television. It was my first introduction to live Wilco and one of the first Wilco albums I ever purchased. I just listened to my vinyl KT box set this past weekend and rocked my face off. It's a great snapshot of the band.

Don't some bands routinely do post-concert soundboard recordings and make them available via their website, at a reasonable price? I think Phish does this. I would love it if Wilco offered something like this on a regular basis. I think there's enough of a fan base to support it--I know I would gladly pay a few bucks for high-quality recordings that I could either download from, say, the dBpm website or order on CD. It would seem to offer a nice revenue stream for the band and I don't think it would dilute album sales.

I know that I should be able to do FLAC downloads and all that, but I can just never seem to do it right. I usually can download mp3s, but they're not always available. And even if there is a FLAC or mp3 recording, the quality is inconsistent. (No disrespect to all you wonderful tapers out there--I love you!) But is there any reason I'm not thinking of why this wouldn't be a good idea?

nugs.net does what you are talking about. Its mostly jam bands on there, but I think Wilco has a big enough following of folks who really want multiple live recordings that it would likely be financially feasible, although I really have no idea of the details of the business side of this venture.

Several bands do that these days.

But - I don't really get people wanting such things, when there are hundreds of AUD tapes out there to be had. And occassionally, a SBD show appears.

The same with all demo tracks that people always seem to want - they are out there already.

Maybe it's due to the fact that I spend so much time with these things - that I don't get wanting live stuff that you have to buy.

I don't mind buying some re-master of some old band I am into, but for Wilco to start putting out such things would seem weird.

I don't mind buying some re-master of some old band I am into, but for Wilco to start putting out such things would seem weird.

Weird indeed. I can see a complete Mermaid Avenue set, I mean what the heck, but a 10 year YHF? I mean I have already bought several CDs, the LP, etc. How much more YHF can Wilco squeeze out of us.

LouieB

Weird indeed. I can see a complete Mermaid Avenue set, I mean what the heck, but a 10 year YHF? I mean I have already bought several CDs, the LP, etc. How much more YHF can Wilco squeeze out of us.

LouieB

the-who-Quadrophenia.jpg

Personally, I'd like a few more years before Wilco starts doing this with their albums.

I'm looking forward to the next studio record. i know this seems premature, but i remember hearing they'd recorded about 50 tracks for what became TWL, and even when you include all the bonus tracks there's still over 30 we haven't heard. There's got to be a few keepers in there- maybe enough to surprise us with a new lp release on short notice.

(hey at least you can dream)

I was wondering how long it would take the contrarian to hit the link.

Just kidding bra.

However, I think that the financial realities of running a 'record label' will force the band to make decisions along these lines. There are a lot of people depending of dBpm for their nut now.

I just rolled out two obvious possibilities...(and who knows...maybe these will come to fruition).

Yikes, 5 CDs of Quadrophenia. I mean I love it but not that much. Would buy an expanded YHF if it is offered I suppose.

LouieB

Yeah, I was willing to throw down for Smile, because I have always been obsessive with that album. I'd like to read the stuff that comes with the Quadrophenia box, but that was something I saw and thought yeah I'll bit torrent that, listen to it once, and save the hundred plus dollars. Sorry, Pete.

With a YHF box it would be all about the packing and the bonus stuff they have. They are well aware most of the market for a YHF boxset already has the bootleg versions of the demos, so hopefully they'll go digging. I wonder how much live footage from the shows Sam Jones filmed for I am trying to break your heart is out there. I'd certainly pay some coin to see to full set of Jay's last show or any of the four-piece's shows at the Filmore.

--Mike

I'll take Quadrophenia over YHF any day. But, that's because I love The Who and Quadrophenia is one of my favorite albums. I have not bought the box though - can't afford it. I hope to get it someday.

I suppose all the Wilco albums will get the De-Luxe treatment someday. That is one of the ways record companies keep the cd alive.

I don't really see Jeff sitting around plotting how to re-release old albums though. At least not when they just released a brand new album.

Not in favor of a YHF box or any other sort of retrospective repackaging of previously released material, not right now. Something about having the band members spending time looking backwards when they're currently moving forward and putting out some of the best original works of their career strikes me as just plain wrong. But would love to see a live cd/dvd of current shows.

B-sides and outtakes compilation would be good. They've got at least 12-15 tracks we've heard that are great, and I'm sure they've got at least another 10 we've never heard.

But that's spread across 3 different record labels. Has to make licensing agreements a bear.

Not in favor of a YHF box or any other sort of retrospective repackaging of previously released material, not right now. Something about having the band members spending time looking backwards when they're currently moving forward and putting out some of the best original works of their career strikes me as just plain wrong. But would love to see a live cd/dvd of current shows.

I'd take a DVD/Blue Ray over a CD any day. And I agree with the looking forward vs. looking backwards. I don't see Wilco looking backwards any time soon, unless it's Reprise putting out reissues on their own.

Maybe a 20 year retrospective would be in order. I love the Who too, but have always enjoyed the two LP version well enough. As with all the Beach Boys box sets (Smile and Pet Sounds), they seem totally overblown to me. Some folks want every rehersal of this material, I am just not one of those people. Every box set has a market in mind.

LouieB

I think even for unreleased stuff it's tricky. I'm not an expert, but I remember reading some conflicts about demos/unreleased tracks when Rivers Cuomo wanted to start posting some of his solo demos (mostly for the then-unreleased songs from Songs From The Black Hole) on his myspace. So it's likely complex stuff for Wilco especially.

If Wilco's label was paying for studio time I would imagine they own the rights to the results of those sessions, whether they made it to the album or not.