Musical blind spots

I saw this article on NPR as well, interesting topic to think about.

One artist I can think of off the top of my head is Bon Iver. I have listened to both his albums and I just don't like him. Not bashing him as an artist, but I just don't get it.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

although i've been off the jamband train for quite a while, to say that Phish doesn't have a background/influence in traditional american music is just ignorance. They have moonlighted as a jazz band mulitple times, and have played plenty of straight bluegrass. They're a jack of all trades band that could really do just about anything they want (minus sing really well).

You are right, I didn't know about Phish playing straight jazz and bluegrass, I've only heard them do their goofy stuff and a few choice covers (I dig their cover of Lovin' Cup). They do have pretty good chops technically, so its not surprising that they are capable of playing lots of styles, but they still fall short in the songwriting dept, IMO and I still think the Allmans and The Dead tower above them.

Nothing on Pet Sounds is as good as Don't Worry Baby.

I disagree.

"You Still Believe In Me"

and

"God Only Knows"

But I do love "Don't Worry Baby".

Don't Worry Baby is a great song, Wouldn't it Be Nice is a great song, etc. etc. The Beach Boys to me will always be a great singles band. I know we have had this argument before and will undoubtedly have it again here. No album by the Beach Boys stands up to the great albums, including Pet Sounds and particularly the finally released Smile. Great songs on Smile too (Heros and Villians, etc) but there are some real clunkers on there too.

If you have to divide this out, I suppose I don't understand what's not to like about the Beach Boys in general (great sunny music and harmonies, good songs, etc.) but if you are trying get into Pet Sounds as a whole, well it has holes in it. For me at least.

LouieB

Steely Dan. I can appreciate the musicianship, songcraft, etc. and recognize it as a job well done, but at the same time i think i'd rather listen to the ventilation hood over my stove. A lot of it is the voice. Similarly, I can't stomach CSN(Y) though Neil is tops in my book.

I effin' hate Steely Dan and Fleetwood Mac for that matter too.

I would say jam bands are a musical blind spot, but they don't fit the question as stated in the article:

"Is there some music, band or genre that you know you're supposed to like to but just don't, or have never taken the time to learn what all the fuss is about?"

There is nothing about them that I feel I'm supposed to like, nor is there much fuss over them aside from a small but fervent following.

The sudden rise in popularity of The Black Keys might make them fit the question and, if so, I would say them. Other than that, there aren't many things I don't like or where I can't find something to like.

The sudden rise in popularity of The Black Keys might make them fit the question and, if so, I would say them. Other than that, there aren't many things I don't like or where I can't find something to like.

There's one. They come off as little more than an updated version of G. Love and Special Sauce to me.

I effin' hate Steely Dan and Fleetwood Mac for that matter too.

When Peter Green was in the band, Fleetwood Mac was righteous. When they became cocaine cowboys in their Southern California sojurn, not so much.

I find that I like the Dan. I can see how their almost antiseptic approach would be offputting.

dubstep, electronica, house music, etc. I've actually asked certain friends of mine who like that stuff to give me the best example of those genres -- and it all still does absolutely nothing for me.

and opera. when I'm in the mood, I love some nice classical music -- but people bellowing at me over top of it is just a huge distraction.

I too like classical, particularly Romantic era, but throw in vocals and no thanks.

I don't get Bob Dylan (I know, I know! I should) or country music as a whole, although strangely I like a few bands, Wilco included of course, that grew from country. I can't pinpoint where/how that happens.

Am I supposed to get Lynard Skynard? I don't.

Have you tried listening to Blood on the Tracks? That's usually the album that sends casual Dylan fans over the edge, into obsession.

The first Dylan album I was able to actually ENJOY, as opposed to just appreciating.

Yeah. Great album.

there have been at least three distinctly, different phases of Fleetwood Mac. do you hate all of them?

i really like post peter green, pre buckingham nicks stuff. just some good 70s straight ahead rock. a blind spot for me might be the actual blues stuff with peter. it's just kind of boring to me. i really like his non blues stuff though like man of the world and green manilishi.

dubstep, electronica, house music, etc. I've actually asked certain friends of mine who like that stuff to give me the best example of those genres -- and it all still does absolutely nothing for me.

I love electronica. Like all genres there are good and bad examples. With Dubstep the 'Burial' album is extreamly good. It has a very 'british' feel to it like a lot of the trip-hop stuff in the nineties. I would also recommend the most recent album by Royskopp which is top notch.

there have been at least three distinctly, different phases of Fleetwood Mac. do you hate all of them?

Yes, yes I do. Maybe because of the Fleetwood Mac I first heard was the cheese ball Stevie Nicks version, all of it is like nails on a chalkboard. I guess that is why it is called Musical Blindspot.