Musical blind spots

i used to absolutely hate springsteen and now i would probably go on tour with him. unreal and especially live.

Well, you're not the first person to be struck by lightening on the road to Damascus.

If you think he's great live now, I wish you could have seen him in 1978. Life changing

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dig:

Love this era of FM. Bare Trees was one of our faves in high school. Then came the Buckingham/Nicks era, and I thought it was all cheese ball mainstream pap. Then on a lark I scored a ticket outside in St. Louis at the height of their popularity with that white Fleetwood Mac album, and was completely blown away by how great a live band they were. I had a musical blind spot.

i used to absolutely hate springsteen and now i would probably go on tour with him. unreal and especially live.

Inverse for me. Mi used to love Springsteen and see him everywhere I could from about '77 on. Now you couldn't pay me to go see him. Somewhere along the way, his music, and crowd, stopped speaking to me.

You are right, I didn't know about Phish playing straight jazz and bluegrass, I've only heard them do their goofy stuff and a few choice covers (I dig their cover of Lovin' Cup). They do have pretty good chops technically, so its not surprising that they are capable of playing lots of styles, but they still fall short in the songwriting dept, IMO and I still think the Allmans and The Dead tower above them.

Love Phish's playing, those guys can play: prog rock, bluegrass, rock, reggae, acapella. But they don't write lyrics that have much if any meaning. And the Allmans and Dead tower above them.

One of my goals for this year is to go to more concerts, and not just stuff I know by heart. I don't do that as much as I'd like. I want to go to 3 or 4 this year of stuff I normally don't listen to or never really heard of. For some reason I can't seem to force myself to listen to something new or off my beaten track on a CD or ipod, but if I can get myself into a concert then it seems to sink in a little better. Not to mention I'm pretty captive at that point. I probably won't be going to a rap concert anytime soon, but I do want to try more jazz or bluegrass or even just more obscure rock stuff. It seems like all of my non-deep-catalog concerts are my kid's high school marching band. This cannot be good...

Ok, I'm going to say it. At the risk of alienating Crow Daddy and many others forever: Bruce Springsteen. I don't own any and have never really listened to him. Our band did "Adam raised a Cain" and I liked that but nothing has really grabbed me. Rolling Stone has a jizz-fest over everything he puts out but I just don't get it and never have.

Nah...no worries.

Not everybody gets everything. But the "don't own any and have never really listened to him" speaks for itself. But, you are not obligated to give him a try.

there are about a million things to like about this and this isnt even one of their great songs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7V5-O8Zk2k&feature=related

Actually, it is one of their first and biggest hits.

But agreed, it is a cool song.

Musical blind spot? Ryan Adams. I've never heard a song from him that wasn't just....existing. It never seems to go anywhere, and I've tried. I have a lot friends into him. Also, "Kid A" and "Amnesiac" era Radiohead. I loved "The Bends" and "OK Computer". After that, there was too much whining. And then I really enjoyed "In Rainbows" so who knows. Usually, I can see why people like bands. Jack Johnson took me a long time, and just recently I've been digging some of his stuff. I don't think that everyone gets every great band right away. Music fans go through phases with bands. My guess is that any people here who are really big music fans will like all these bands eventually. At least that's been my experience.

Nah...no worries.

Not everybody gets everything. But the "don't own any and have never really listened to him" speaks for itself. But, you are not obligated to give him a try.

Very true. Springsteen is someone I have only really heard on the radio. So that would pretty much be Born to run (which I do like), Hungry Heart, most of the Born in the USA album. Dancing in the dark, etc... I learned Thunder Road on guitar for a band I was in, as well as Atlantic city. Certainly some clever lyrics and things but nothing that made me want to go back.

I respect his musicianship and can see the talent there. I think it's something about the saxophone and tinkly piano sound that just does not do it for me.

Very true. Springsteen is someone I have only really heard on the radio. So that would pretty much be Born to run (which I do like), Hungry Heart, most of the Born in the USA album. Dancing in the dark, etc... I learned Thunder Road on guitar for a band I was in, as well as Atlantic city. Certainly some clever lyrics and things but nothing that made me want to go back.

I respect his musicianship and can see the talent there. I think it's something about the saxophone and tinkly piano sound that just does not do it for me.

When I was young that is how I felt also - not enough guitar. But - overtime that changed.

All right, I'll check that set out. Thanks for the recommendation. I do like seventies reggae and early British ska quite a bit, but for some reason I've never connected with a lot of Marley's stuff. I'll dig deeper and start there.

Bob Marley is probably my biggest one. I have heard all the songs on Legend. Redemption Song is the only one that I really love (and I sort of prefer Joe Strummer's version). I don't have an active dislike for any his stuff, but I have just never been compelled to listen to it all that much or explore him further.

--Mike

I'd recommend checking out The Best Of The Wailers (which isn't really the best of the wailers - it's an album which the called "the best of the wailers" it's just coincidence that it is the best of the wailers), it's not really reggae - it's rocksteady, though. It's produced by Leslie Kong.

That's an example of the sound, above.

Also, there's Soul Revolution Part II and Soul Rebels (which were produced by Lee Perry and show the roots of reggae being made). Both of them are also good, but The Best Of The Wailers is really the most enjoyable album, from start to finish.

One of my goals for this year is to go to more concerts, and not just stuff I know by heart. I don't do that as much as I'd like. I want to go to 3 or 4 this year of stuff I normally don't listen to or never really heard of. For some reason I can't seem to force myself to listen to something new or off my beaten track on a CD or ipod, but if I can get myself into a concert then it seems to sink in a little better. Not to mention I'm pretty captive at that point. I probably won't be going to a rap concert anytime soon, but I do want to try more jazz or bluegrass or even just more obscure rock stuff. It seems like all of my non-deep-catalog concerts are my kid's high school marching band. This cannot be good...

seeing a band live is a great way to get into them. or, to hate them for life.

Love Toots and Marley is pretty good but other than the fact that they're both Jamaican, I wouldn't really compare the two.

Yes, and no. They are both lumped into "reggae", so don't avoid Toots because of Marley. Or, the other way around, either.

And, 100% agree with GtrPlyr about The Harder They Come soundtrack. I think that one is impossible not to love.

there are about a million things to like about this and this isnt even one of their great songs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7V5-O8Zk2k&feature=related

This is a perfect example of a song that is amazing, but people discount it due to overexposure. Anyone who worked in a chain restaurant in the '80s or '90s has heard this song tens of thousands of times.