Musical blind spots

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dubstep, electronica, house music, etc. I've actually asked certain friends of mine who like that stuff to give me the best example of those genres -- and it all still does absolutely nothing for me.

and opera. when I'm in the mood, I love some nice classical music -- but people bellowing at me over top of it is just a huge distraction.

This is all true for me, too. Of course, I have to add rap and hip-hop to the list - yes, that includes The Roots - and as far as opera, the only exception I can sort of make is The Barber of Seville, which I have seen twice. However - and this is a big however - I have never sat and listened to the music by itself. If you are opera averse, and want to try to get into it, I would highly recommend seeing that one. Unlike most of the well- known productions, which are probably all doom and gloom, Seville is mainly a comedy. So, it's pretty enjoyable.

I have to admit that most reggae also bores me stiff, because none of it compares with Marley with the Wailers. For the poster who doesn't dig Marley, I would recommend the Bob Marley and the Wailers disc Talkin' Blues. It has very loose live-in-the-studio versions of most of their classics, and it is just fantastic. And for those of you who find Steely Dan too "antiseptic"...check out their first two albums, Can't Buy A Thrill and Countdown to Ecstasy. They are a lot looser than the rest of their catalogue, especially Countdown, which even features some lead vocals that are not Donald Fagen. Just sayin'...

I have to admit that most reggae also bores me stiff, because none of it compares with Marley with the Wailers. For the poster who doesn't dig Marley, I would recommend the Bob Marley and the Wailers disc Talkin' Blues. It has very loose live-in-the-studio versions of most of their classics, and it is just fantastic.

I HIGHLY recommend Toots and the Maytals. Like them a lot more than any Marley.

Esp. the two-fer of Funky Kingston/In the Dark -- the most soulful music this side of Otis Redding. In fact, the Redding comparisons are by no means out of bounds.

What a voice!

I HIGHLY recommend Toots and the Maytals. Like them a lot more than any Marley.

Esp. the two-fer of Funky Kingston/In the Dark -- the most soulful music this side of Otis Redding. In fact, the Redding comparisons are by no means out of bounds.

What a voice!

Believe it or not, I don't like their vocals.

I know, I know...I guess that's why it's called a blind spot. Honestly, I barely even like any of Peter Tosh's solo work. For me, the only reggae is the early Bob Marley with the Wailers. I guess it's similar to liking only the first three Beatles albums and no other rock. :uhoh

Jimmy Cliff did some stuff that would probably appeal to the not really big on reggae crowd. It's hard not to like "The Harder They Come" soundtrack.

I am sorry, I am familiar with that song and it is a terrible song. I can't express in words my hatred for this band and this song.

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade who loves Fleetwood Mac, I hate it when people tell me bands I like suck, but in my opinion Fleetwood Mac is terrible. I cast no dispersions on those who like Fleetwood Mac, but they just ain't my cup of tea.

Now if we are going cast dispersions on anyone let's start with Jam Band fans.

There's Fleetwood Mac, then there's FLEETWOOD MAC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_CV9cZhyi4

This band bears absolutely no musical point reference with the Nicks/Buckingham version of Fleetwood Mac...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAzd8Jkkqaw&feature=related

This band bears absolutely no musical point reference with the Nicks/Buckingham version of Fleetwood Mac...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAzd8Jkkqaw&feature=related

Ok I'll admit that was pretty cool. I have a soft spot for Brit Rock in the late 60's early 70's (Atomic Rooster, T. Rex, Thin Lizzy, etc), so how did they become the masters of suckatude in less than 10 years?

Ok I'll admit that was pretty cool. I have a soft spot for Brit Rock in the late 60's early 70's (Atomic Rooster, T. Rex, Thin Lizzy, etc), so how did they become the masters of suckatude in less than 10 years?

Drugs, Religious Cults, More Drugs, adultery and looking for a sound that would make Mick and John some cash.

For the poster who doesn't dig Marley, I would recommend the Bob Marley and the Wailers disc Talkin' Blues. It has very loose live-in-the-studio versions of most of their classics, and it is just fantastic.

All right, I'll check that set out. Thanks for the recommendation. I do like seventies reggae and early British ska quite a bit, but for some reason I've never connected with a lot of Marley's stuff. I'll dig deeper and start there.

Ok, I'm going to say it. At the risk of alienating Crow Daddy and many others forever: Bruce Springsteen. I don't own any and have never really listened to him. Our band did "Adam raised a Cain" and I liked that but nothing has really grabbed me. Rolling Stone has a jizz-fest over everything he puts out but I just don't get it and never have.

Rolling Stone has a jizz-fest over everything he puts out...

Nicely put. :lol

I have to admit I'm pretty much with you on this one too. I have a bit of a soft spot for about 3 classic Springsteen tunes - Born to Run, Jungleland and Rosalita - but I have never been able to get into him on any meaningful level. He sort of has this "ultimate workingman's hero" persona that started out as painfully earnest, but as he became a bigger and bigger star, it was hard to reconcile that with his real life status as a wealthy celebrity. And those sleeveless wifebeaters in the '80s...puh-leeze.

I hear that he puts on a great live show, and maybe I don't know what I'm missing...but when I saw the 115.00 price for tickets in the nosebleed section, I didn't have to think long before saying, "Pass."

Ok, I'm going to say it. At the risk of alienating Crow Daddy and many others forever: Bruce Springsteen. I don't own any and have never really listened to him. Our band did "Adam raised a Cain" and I liked that but nothing has really grabbed me. Rolling Stone has a jizz-fest over everything he puts out but I just don't get it and never have.

well he's better than Rick Springfield at any rate.