Musical blind spots

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

isnt skunk playing the bass?? that lead guitarist is unreal. it doesnt even look like hes playing whats coming out of the geetar

No Skunk is the guy w/ the glasses and the huge moustache, and he's on lead guitar. And, that's my point, the camera is not on him during the solo.

No Skunk is the guy w/ the glasses and the huge moustache, and he's on lead guitar. And, that's my point, the camera is not on him during the solo.

Right - the camera is on Denny Dias, one of the founding members and the original guitar player. He also plays the sitar solo on Do It Again.

Right - the camera is on Denny Dias, one of the founding members and the original guitar player. He also plays the sitar solo on Do It Again.

The Sitar solo is a wonder of nature. Always blows me away. I know it was not done on a real Sitar or anything but the phrasing on it is just perfect.

I don't know a lot about Steely Dan, but I think a session guy named Elliott Randall played the solo on the album.

I don't know a lot about Steely Dan, but I think a session guy named Elliott Randall played the solo on the album.

Hmm, an old friend who is a big Steely Dan buff told me it was the original dude.

EDIT: don't know if wikipedia is the best source for this stuff but if you believe the wiki, the Do It Again solo is on a real sitar and it is Dias playing it.

Elliott Randall did play some Steely Dan solos. "Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page has reportedly said that Elliott Randall's guitar solo on "Reelin' In the Years" is his favorite solo of all time.[1][2] That solo was also ranked the 40th best guitar solo of all time by the readers of Guitar World magazine.[3]"

Long repetative Grateful Dead songs and Mumford & Sons. Just can't get into them, even if they cover a song I like. Can't enjoy it.

Maybe it will change, maybe it wont. As for now, keep 'em the hell away from me!

EDIT: don't know if wikipedia is the best source for this stuff but if you believe the wiki, the Do It Again solo is on a real sitar and it is Dias playing it.

I remember reading somewhere that it's an electric Sitar, there is no way he played that on a real sitar. Something like this:

162227.jpg

I remember reading somewhere that it's an electric Sitar, there is no way he played that on a real sitar. Something like this:

162227.jpg

Oh you are right. I thought you were saying it was a something else (a guitar maybe) made to sound like a sitar. It seems like it was an electric sitar.

Hmm, an old friend who is a big Steely Dan buff told me it was the original dude.

Elliott Randall did play some Steely Dan solos. "Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page has reportedly said that Elliott Randall's guitar solo on "Reelin' In the Years" is his favorite solo of all time.[1][2] That solo was also ranked the 40th best guitar solo of all time by the readers of Guitar World magazine.[3]"

That's what I was remembering. I read that in a book some where.

162227.jpg

Can't see the picture, but 99.9% certain that solo was played on a Coral (electric) Sitar.

Can't see the picture, but 99.9% certain that solo was played on a Coral (electric) Sitar.

Yeah, definitely sounds like a Coral on that one.

Radiohead.

I mean, I get it.

I just don't get it.

This. And The Flaming Lips. I've tried to get them, but still cannot stomach more than 5 minutes of either band.

maybe this instead. if you dont like this you sure as shit dont like Phish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=980JDijx98Y&feature=related

Phish is my other big one. It's not jambands in general (I'm a MASSIVE Umphrey's fan), it's just Phish.

I enjoy probably 2% of what I hear them do. Most of the improv I hear that people have recommended just goes absolutely nowhere. That song for example. I enjoyed maybe 45 seconds to a minute of it near the end before the vocals came back in.

I think they're a "you had to be there" type of band.

• 2 weeks later...

After reading the favorite Brit Band/Artist thread, I had another group come to mind:

The Jam. Don't get 'em. Never have. And, I really tried to...was looking to up my punk/new wave credibility back in the day.

The Jam had a few different phases/sounds. I'm assuming, however, that you have heard stuff from throughout their career?

The Jam had a few different phases/sounds. I'm assuming, however, that you have heard stuff from throughout their career?

Yep...just did not do a thing for me.