Musical blind spots

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jam Bands...only the Allmans' with Duane. Everything else sounds unimaginative, self-indulgent and boring.

Rap...I'm a 52 year old white guy. I'm sure the rappers aren't losing any sleep over not selling me any stuff. But I am less than not interested in hearing their misogynistic and jaded songs.

Former blind spots...House, Electronica, Dubstep. My daughter is back home and she is majorly into electorina and house (I threw in The Dubstep as a joke. Apparently Dubstep is very not cool...according to my daughter)

Well I'll be damned! Who would of thought that Boon worked for Daddy.

i am w/ the guy writing about Pet Sounds. i just don't get it.

Whats not to get. It truly is one of the most over rated albums of all time. You can't fault the sound of the album, which is why it is famous (and why the Beach Boys are famous in general) but the content is not even close. Mostly a collection of songs about trying to grow up from a guy (guys really) who are already grown up and should know better. It has a few great songs though, just not that fantastic over all. Sloop John B? A campfire favorite that was worn out by the time they put it on the album.

LouieB

Bob Marley is probably my biggest one. I have heard all the songs on Legend. Redemption Song is the only one that I really love (and I sort of prefer Joe Strummer's version). I don't have an active dislike for any his stuff, but I have just never been compelled to listen to it all that much or explore him further.

--Mike

what's w/ Eleanor complaining about how many records Wilco has put out, and that she doesn't know a good place to start?

She says she can't get past the opening track on any of their albums, and doesn't know what to do. Um, try skipping the first tune. It's not that difficult.

I suggest Eleanor start with Ashes of American Flags DVD. IMO, its the most accessible and convincing recordings of this band for people who think they don't like Wilco. If anyone can give that DVD their full attention and still walk away saying they just don't get it, I'd give up trying. For me, Wilco live is where they shine. Sounds like she knows that but still doesn't get it. I'd encourage her to just be OK with not liking Wilco, if that's the case.

Whats not to get. It truly is one of the most over rated albums of all time. You can't fault the sound of the album, which is why it is famous (and why the Beach Boys are famous in general) but the content is not even close. Mostly a collection of songs about trying to grow up from a guy (guys really) who are already grown up and should know better. It has a few great songs though, just not that fantastic over all. Sloop John B? A campfire favorite that was worn out by the time they put it on the album.

LouieB

The musical sophistication on display is more than just "the sound" it's the whole content. Things like the swelling harmonies on "You Still Believe In Me". The sheer gorgeousness of "God Only Knows" (which is a particularly sophisticated composition, by the way).

And, as a frothing Pet Sounds advocate, I still say that, even with those isolated examples of transcendental beauty, the whole is still greater than the sum of its parts.

That said, there is no need for anyone to ever apologize for "not getting" something. You like what you like and you set the rest aside. I'm sure that there are other albums that do for you (for any of us) what Pet Sounds does for me (or what OK Computer does for somebody who is not me).

I can talk until I'm blue in my face and I will never make the record to for you what it does for me. But, hopefully, you can appreciate why I feel the way that I do.

"Jam Bands...only the Allmans' with Duane. Everything else sounds unimaginative, self-indulgent and boring."

sure thing boss

Might have explained my position better.

I love the period of the Allman's with Duane.

All other jam bands are not doing it for me.

I'm with ya, Analogman. The Dead and The Allmans were not jam bands, Phish and the Spin Doctors and Widespread Panic are/were. The Dead and The Allmans are in another league of greatness in the spectrum of American roots-based rock music. Jam bands noodle without sufficient grounding and background/influence in traditional American musical forms, and with far weaker songwriting, IMO.

I'm with ya, Analogman. The Dead and The Allmans were not jam bands, Phish and the Spin Doctors and Widespread Panic are/were. The Dead and The Allmans are in another league of greatness in the spectrum of American roots-based rock music. Jam bands noodle without sufficient grounding and background/influence in traditional American musical forms, and with far weaker songwriting, IMO.

although i've been off the jamband train for quite a while, to say that Phish doesn't have a background/influence in traditional american music is just ignorance. They have moonlighted as a jazz band mulitple times, and have played plenty of straight bluegrass. They're a jack of all trades band that could really do just about anything they want (minus sing really well).

The Allman Brothers are not a jamband. They called themselves a rock band, a blues band, and then the term Southern Rock came into play. But - never a jamband.

The Allman's aren't Southern Rock either.

I guess I don't like any Jam Bands then.

Oh well.

The musical sophistication on display is more than just "the sound" it's the whole content. Things like the swelling harmonies on "You Still Believe In Me". The sheer gorgeousness of "God Only Knows" (which is a particularly sophisticated composition, by the way).

And, as a frothing Pet Sounds advocate, I still say that, even with those isolated examples of transcendental beauty, the whole is still greater than the sum of its parts.

That said, there is no need for anyone to ever apologize for "not getting" something. You like what you like and you set the rest aside. I'm sure that there are other albums that do for you (for any of us) what Pet Sounds does for me (or what OK Computer does for somebody who is not me).

I can talk until I'm blue in my face and I will never make the record to for you what it does for me. But, hopefully, you can appreciate why I feel the way that I do.

I like Pet Sounds well enough. (Well enough to try and find an original pressing for cheap one time..) And I understand why folks are into it so much. Some of the songs (but only some) are great and sound particularly great in the musical context. The three best songs are Carolina No, Wouldn't It be Nice, and God Only Knows. I wasn't made for these times is pretty good. The rest are so so and Sloop John B is a total bring down.

My continuing point is that up against The Beatles Rubber Soul and Revollver and Bob Dylans Highway 61 Revisited and Blonde on Blonde and Subteranian Homesick Blues, all written and recorded around the same time (plus many other albums of that era) it is okay, but not the stunning master piece it is always touted as. But that's just me. Throw the Stones, Hendrix, The Who, The Kinks, and several others bands and singers I can't think of at the moment, its just not THAT great.

LouieB

The funny thing about Pet Sounds is how much Paul McCartney loved (and still loves) it. A big part of Sgt. Pepper was Paul trying to top Pet Sounds. I think I remember reading an interview where he said it was his favorite album of all time.

And Brian Wilson said in an interview that he was totally trying to compete with the Beatles, and that he wrote Pet Sounds basically in response to Rubber Soul. Then, when Sgt. Pepper came out, he said, "Sgt. Pepper kicked our ass."