Best (favorite) side projects/supergroups (not including solo albums)

Currently I am listening to Latin Playboys, the very, very cool side project of David Hidalgo and Louie Perez from Los Lobos.

And while it is incredibly cool, as I said, and I will listen to it for a long time, it is still not my favorite foray outside of a primary band by a musician that I admire.

That would be:

THE DUKES OF STRATOSPHEAR

The spot-on 60s psych-evoking band that is populated solely by members of XTC. They only had 2 releases: an EP (25 O'Clock) and an LP (Psonic Sunspot), but both of them were every bit as good as anything ever released by their main band -- one of the best bands in the history of rock, IMO.

I would highly recommend this bad boy for any and all fans of Syd Barrett and early Pink Floyd, Robyn Hitchcock, XTC, The Electric Prunes, and great psych pop in general.

I could not love this band more. Even if it really is just XTC in disguise. (Or more-likely because it is.)

Other favorites:

Golden Smog -- you know this one, of course, on this here Wilco board!

Gnarls Barkley -- Cee-Lo Green and Danger Mouse

Rockpile -- Only one release by Nick Lowe, Dave Edmunds, Billy Bremner, and Terry Williams under the band's name, after recording as each others' backing band for a long time.

The Travelling Wilburys -- Only for the first album, though.

Gorillaz

I thought of them, but wasn't sure if they would qualify, as Damon really has made that his full-time gig after the breakup of Blur.

Scott McCoi=Mr.Side Project

R.E.M-K.M.R.I.A.-The Lowe Beats-TYFF-Hitchcock-Baseball Project-Minus 5 and a few more

Great bands. Although I wish Minus 5 albums were more generally available to purchase, it's quite a task to find their older CDs in mint condition! :)