Lost Classic Albums

There used to be a special feeling in finding a certain album you had been looking for forever. I think that the internet has done away with quite a bit of that, but there are still the odd lost or hard-to-find albums out there. Including ones that maybe are out there here and there, but not for less than a small fortune.

Back in the early 90's, I remember finding this album at a record store in Evanston:

R-697572-1148933292.jpeg

I literally did a little dance in the middle of the store and sang "Testify" as I raised it above my head in victory. It was easily the most excited I ever got over finding a record. Still can't find it very easily. Even today. Although many of those songs/recordings are available on other collections, some of them are still not available anywhere else, as far as I know.

Sadly, I lost this in a flood that I had a couple of years ago.

:(

Do you remember finding anything in particular?

Are you still looking?

TheAction.jpg

I found this one a few years back. Still play it quite often. EMI apparently rejected it at the time. It sat around for decades before finally getting issued.

Country Joe's "Electric Music for Electric Minds" I looked for that album for years before finally finding it.

Wonderfully crazy stuff, that.

I recently grabbed the CD version of one of my favorite LPs as a kid - SRC Milestones. Great psych-pop. Lead guitarist Gary Quackenbush (yes, that's REALLY his name :lol ) has a tone so full of sustain it's insane! And Hall of the Mountain King > Beck's Bolero is just awesome proggy stuff.

MI0001830307.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

When Vancouver's punk legends Slow disbanded following a notorious trouser-dropping incident, the fragments of the band regrouped into the heavy metal Tankhog and the more pop-oriented Circle C. With not a little bit of fanfare, they were signed to David Geffen's label DGC. When the band's self-titled debut was released it was met with enthusiasm by many critics, but next to nothing in terms of album sales because of poor promotion.

This record is a freaking classic. A masterpiece that should be canonized, in a perfect world.

Hard to describe, for sure. Elements of grunge (which was only just then starting to gain steam), but a lot more experimental than most bands from the era, as they play with form and song structure in a ton of different interesting ways. The songs are still recognizably "rock", but something about them just doesn't sound quite like anything else that was around at the time. Probably what doomed it.

Lost to the ages due to poor promotion.

But thanks to the internet, you can pick it up at Amazon for 1¢ (plus shipping).

Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.co...ywords=circle c

Well worth it.

So, get it. You have no excuse.

Guess what just arrived in my mailbox -- a gift from an online friend?

41H9UvNZktL._SL500_AA300_.jpgPlugz.jpg

You might know a couple of their songs from the Repo Man soundtrack. But I've heard a few other songs from their couple of albums and they were super-excellent. Too bad the only things out there seem to be selling in the $50-$200 range.

Thank you Internet!

Just getting ready to really dive into these now!

Oh yeah, I saw The Plugz on the late great show "New Wave Theatre" and I thought they were VERY cool.

8558.jpegTo think that I had it new in 85. 122 USD on Amazon now.

Just found this one on LP in LA yesterday for 20 bucks! UK Rough Trade pressing. And I saw a test pressing of it in another shop today for 50...

I remember I nearly fainted when I found out that there was a Pink Floyd "Early Singles" disc included as a part of the Shine On box set, but, there was no way I was going to pay $150+ for a box of albums I already owned just to get the early singles. Anyways, I think it was that same weekend I went into this local record store & was looking through the used CD's & found the "Early Singles" CD with the other used Floyd albums. I almost went into shock. Apparently someone bought the box set & didn't care for that particular disc, so they sold it to the record store. Hey, I'm not complaining. I only paid $6 for something I otherwise would have had to give an arm & a leg for. This was at the height of my Pink Floyd obsession & way before I knew how to purchase/download albums online. I couldn't have been happier.

Just found this one on LP in LA yesterday for 20 bucks! UK Rough Trade pressing. And I saw a test pressing of it in another shop today for 50...

Nice find! He was great opening for Wilco. I've just dug through to see which albums of his I own on vinyl...I have the original (1976 release) Modern Lovers album, and the Jan. 1977 "Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers", the first album with the new Modern Lovers. Great stuff, especially the first Modern Lovers album! :worship

In high school, every time I found a b-side or import from The Cult it was as good as getting to do something we're not allowed to talk about on this site.

Mail a plastic poo to somebody?

That live version of Morning Of Our Lives is amazing, the crowd all hostile & screaming for Roadrunner as it starts then by the end everyone is clapping along and won over, I love that. Have all the Jonathan on vinyl up to and including the self-titled 1989 Rounder release except for one, Back In Your Life, will have to look out for that one. Will also keep eyes open for a copy of Rockin & Romance, the Rough Trade trilogy are my all-time favourites of his.

I'm in Califone immersion and have been trying to find Roots & Crowns on vinyl for months, there were 2 limited runs of 1000 each as I understand it. Found a couple on amazon from $65 and up, but the sellers wouldn't ship to Canada. Checked ebay every couple of days, no joy. After ordering the Roomsound vinyl reissue from Thrill Jockey a few weeks ago, last week I got an email from them regarding a warehouse find of a single box of the 2nd pressing of Roots & Crowns (28 copies), "order now these will sell out overnight". Unfortunately I work afternoon shift and didn't get the email until the next day, by which time they were gone. Thrill Jockey still had a page advertising it on their site so I sent them an email asking them to take it down as it was breaking my heart to look at it, and cursing my luck for being on afternoon shift and not being a smartphone zombie and why oh why did I go out for beers after work on Thursday night when if I'd come home and dicked around on the computer maybe, just maybe, there would've been one left for me. Ultimately ending my email with "at least now sealed copies should be popping up on ebay", which I really was happy about, would've paid $100 for one no questions asked, maybe more. Paid $200 for the Big Star 3rd record store day edition and these are both top 5 albums for me.

An hour later I get a response that they miscalculated and have one single copy left, for which they have sent me a paypal invoice. After taking care of the invoice and sending my new hero some really effusive thanks, his final words to me were to "live with the joy of knowing that you got the LAST copy". Which I'm trying to do, but not sure how, nothing this good ever happens to me!