2013 Jeff Tweedy benefit shows at the Vic...

Last year I was staying in a rental apt. directly across the street from the Vic (sadly, no longer available) and I couldn't believe it, but people started lining up before noon, so of course I abandoned my idea of going to the Art Institute and joined the rest of the diehards freezing in line. It's hard to say exactly when the line approached the 30 people size, but that's the important number to remember, because--assuming they do it the same way this year as last--the first 30 people in line put in their requests, and then Jeff takes those requests and creates a setlist for that night's show. If you haven't yet seen that video "Rituals" you should watch it--it covers what the procedure is at these shows, as well as Jeff's preparation process. I thought it was fascinating viewing!

Be sure to bring warm coats, gloves, hats and scarves!

I'm looking forward to seeing lots of you again and meeting some people I haven't managed to connect with yet.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried about 12:05, I was working and kind of of forgot.  I am on my laptop with a super-slow connection so that didn't help.  No GC tickets left but kept on trying. Got 2 GCs for the13th at about 12:30 then 1 GC for 14th at about 12:40, found 1 more GC for the 14th shortly after.  Looked like they were getting released as purchased weren't completed.  maybe they released a few more I don't know.  Don't lose hope on the GCs, they may release more at a later date.

So anyway, I'm lucky enough to have 2 each night.  Wife was on an airplane at the time so didn't know if she'd go.  Just talked to her and she probably can't. If I can't find a friend to go (unlikely I will) I will have an extra for each night. At one point I could have gotten 2 more for one of the nights but didn't want to be greedy. In hindsight, I'm sure someone here would have appreciated them.  Oh well, as it is, I'm in it for about $650 with fees.  Add fuel, hotel etc and going to be a pricey show. Good thing I quit drinking!  Always worth every penny!  Can't even count how many times I've seen Jeff and Wilco and it never gets old.  Think my favorite may have been Red Rocks last year. I will let you guys know if I should have extra tickets.

Steve

I hadn't noticed seat assignments, and according to the Customer Service guy at etix there are not assigned seats, at least not in the gold circle. The numbers that have been assigned are strictly a bookkeeping mechanism to keep track of how many seats have been sold--they won't determine where you sit. It's GA within the gold circle. Again, this applies to gold circle tickets--I didn't ask about the regular admission seating policy.

It would be nice to have this clarified by someone from etix or The Vic. It probably wouldn't affect me personally since I'll be lining up early, but if someone bought gold circle tickets and was dying to sit in the first row but didn't care about getting a request in, they might think they could come at showtime and be guaranteed a particular seat. We sure don't want surly, disappointed fans for such fantastic events!

I hadn't noticed seat assignments, and according to the Customer Service guy at etix there are not assigned seats, at least not in the gold circle. The numbers that have been assigned are strictly a bookkeeping mechanism to keep track of how many seats have been sold--they won't determine where you sit. It's GA within the gold circle. Again, this applies to gold circle tickets--I didn't ask about the regular admission seating policy.

It would be nice to have this clarified by someone from etix or The Vic. It probably wouldn't affect me personally since I'll be lining up early, but if someone bought gold circle tickets and was dying to sit in the first row but didn't care about getting a request in, they might think they could come at showtime and be guaranteed a particular seat. We sure don't want surly, disappointed fans for such fantastic events!

I believe all are GA... think it was the same way last year?

I believe all are GA... think it was the same way last year?

It was. I just noticed that some folks had posted about having specific seat assignments, and I decided to call the etix people to find out if something had changed (and to find out what seat I was assigned if that was the case!) That's when they told me that the numbering does not correlate to a specific seat assignment.

I'm pretty sure the same policy applies to the $75 tickets as well--that they guarantee you admission to the venue but not a specific seat--but again, I'm not sure,since I only asked about the gold circle.

thanks for the insight!  I may have lucked out from the sound of things as I may be able to opt out of the front row: better sightlines in the second row ? .....  all good.

FYI,   Art Institute opens at 10:30AM. Would be quite an accomplishment to make a request AND see some exhibits, too ! Although, that may cost you sitting in the front row.

Anybody know just how many rows have the GC covered ?

Hint to those of you without gold tickets: As I recall, the first row behind the gold circle is on a little riser and it's an excellent place to sit. You'll probably have to line up early and do the mad dash to get there, though. But honestly, it's a small venue and there probably isn't a bad seat in the house. Just different perspectives.

Last year on one of the nights there were some chatty drunks sitting up in one of the boxes--to the right from Jeff's vantage point. Jeff called them out a couple of times and dedicated "So Much Wine" to them!

I meant get together and hang out before the show. Who else is in?

I'll be the short Mexican girl (early 30s) in a red hat with a book and a lawn chair (or two to share).

Cool!  I'm totally down for that.  I haven't really "met" Wilco fans, just people who know of Wilco, so I'm really looking forward to this.  Can't wait to geek out about which lead guitarist was best (hint:it's JB), which version of Passenger Side is best (hint: it's the punk version), and which is Jeff best song (hint: it's The Long Cut).  Yeah.  I'm stuck in 1997, but this latest tour has me rethinking my nostalgia.  

I'll be the 30-something hapa guy, and I'll be sure to say hi to you, Bumble Bee.  Also, this'll hopefully be my second encounter with Paul, and I hope to not sound so stupid when I talk to him.

Hint to those of you without gold tickets: As I recall, the first row behind the gold circle is on a little riser and it's an excellent place to sit. You'll probably have to line up early and do the mad dash to get there, though. But honestly, it's a small venue and there probably isn't a bad seat in the house. Just different perspectives.

Last year on one of the nights there were some chatty drunks sitting up in one of the boxes--to the right from Jeff's vantage point. Jeff called them out a couple of times and dedicated "So Much Wine" to them!

Yes, I was one of the lucky peeps in the first row behind the gold section last year, and had a great view!  Sight line is important when you are short like me.  I showed up a bit before the doors opened and that worked out great.

So who wants to get a group together and stand in line early to get our requests in?

I'll be there, Ive got to get two requests in. In previous years what times did people start showing up to wait? (I hope that question isn't considered cheating...)

For once I actually waited to make sure I got tickets to the shows before booking my flights.  Round-trip airfare from NYC was $148 on Thursday, but shot up to $198 on Friday morning before the tickets went live.  I held out and, sure enough, flights are back down to $148 on AA.com as of today - woot!  Thanks so much to Sue and Jeff for having these wonderful shows for a great cause once again!  

I'm wondering if anyone who has gone in the past years can tell me about how long these shows usually run on any given night? It's looking to me like around a 30 song setlist (give or take), so I'm guessing that's roughly 2 to 2 & 1/2 hours? And my other question is does it usually start pretty much at the advertised time, or not? It's advertised as a 7:30 start this year.
If anyone has files of the shows & can take a look at the length of those, I'd be very grateful, just to have an idea.
I decided to fly in from Buffalo, but have to take the bus back.
I decided to fly in, but have to take a bus out that night (overnight redeye), & the bus leaves the Chicago Greyhound station at 10:45. That's 3 hours & 15 minutes after advertised start time, so I think I'll be OK.
There's another bus at midnight, but the 10:45 is the shortest trip at 12 & 1/2 hours, while the midnight one is the longest at 16 & 1/2 hours, & I'd really like to avoid that one if possible.

I went for the first time last year and I honestly don't remember the details about whether the shows started on time, but I don't remember them being very late, so I assume they'll be close to on time, especially since Sue mentioned the early start time. However, if I were you I would plan on the later bus, just because who wants to be checking their watch at the end of a show, or worrying about finding a taxi to make a mad dash for the bus station? If you're making this special trip all the way to Chicago for these shows, what's another few hours on the bus? You'll be sleeping anyway. But that's just me. Since it's a bus, maybe you could check on how likely both buses are to be full, and make reservations on both--try for the earlier one and have the late one as a fallback option.

I went for the first time last year and I honestly don't remember the details about whether the shows started on time, but I don't remember them being very late, so I assume they'll be close to on time, especially since Sue mentioned the early start time. However, if I were you I would plan on the later bus, just because who wants to be checking their watch at the end of a show, or worrying about finding a taxi to make a mad dash for the bus station? If you're making this special trip all the way to Chicago for these shows, what's another few hours on the bus? You'll be sleeping anyway. But that's just me. Since it's a bus, maybe you could check on how likely both buses are to be full, and make reservations on both--try for the earlier one and have the late one as a fallback option.

It's all good...gotta buy the tickets early & I'm gonna buy the early ticket for 10:45...if I have to do the 12:00 bus it's just a $20 rescheduling fee is all...and man if started at 7:30 & played until something like 10:30...holy cow, it'd be worth the $20 for sure...I'm betting it'll work out OK & that I'll actually probably make the bus on time, but I'm not gonna sweat it. And thanks for the feedback.

• 4 weeks later...

Looking forward to meeting other VCers tomorrow.  It looks like the weather is supposed to be crappy (no offense to Chicagoans, but I'm coming from California), but I should be in line early to ensure that I can have my request played (assuming he's doing it this year).  I'll be wearing a faux leather jacket with a grey hoodie.  Come say hi!

Rodion

Looking forward to meeting other VCers tomorrow.  It looks like the weather is supposed to be crappy (no offense to Chicagoans, but I'm coming from California), but I should be in line early to ensure that I can have my request played (assuming he's doing it this year).  I'll be wearing a faux leather jacket with a grey hoodie.  Come say hi!

Rodion

Ummm, I think you mean the day after tomorrow...that is unless you're getting there to get in line a day early ;)

See you there at some point I imagine...looking forward to meeting some of the fellow faithful from here as well...

Ummm, I think you mean the day after tomorrow...that is unless you're getting there to get in line a day early ;)

See you there at some point I imagine...looking forward to meeting some of the fellow faithful from here as well...

Day after tomorrow.  Yeah, that definitely makes more sense.  It's not like this is a new iPhone launch.