2013 Jeff Tweedy benefit shows at the Vic...

Yes! Tickets will be on sale at the Vic box office of Friday at noon! Sorry that the shows are on weekdays....it's the best we could do. They'll be a little earlier though, with a 7:30 start time. 

xo

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes! Tickets will be on sale at the Vic box office of Friday at noon! Sorry that the shows are on weekdays....it's the best we could do. They'll be a little earlier though, with a 7:30 start time. 

xo

Hey, I think it's great that it's being done...not sure who you are mysterious "srmt", but if you happen upon Mr. Tweedy in the near future let him know that the northeast would be real glad to see some solo shows at some point ;) ...and thanks for your compassion & concern too.

I was just cautiously hopeful that I might be able to actually do this this year. I'm sure it'll be a great time for all involved & I'm glad for those who can go & have a great time for a great cause!

Ticket prices for gold circle have doubled from last year's prices.  GA has gone up $25/ticket.  Mid-week dates means my BFF from KCMO can't make it but I'll be there as these usually fall around my birthday.  Will requests still be taken from the first few folks in line?

Thanks for the opportunity to come to the show again this year. Had a blast last year. Also love the mid week show- it's easier for me to get a night off. Got really inexpensive flight from Providence. Now must set my alarm for tomorrow so I don't forget to buy tickets CST I'm assuming

Thanks for the opportunity to come to the show again this year. Had a blast last year. Also love the mid week show- it's easier for me to get a night off. Got really inexpensive flight from Providence. Now must set my alarm for tomorrow so I don't forget to buy tickets CST I'm assuming

What airline are you using? Cheapest tickets i could find from Providence were $300+, and that's a bit more than I'd like to spend (what with S.Sound coming up).

I really want to go to the show on the 13th. It'd be my birthday present to myself.

xo

Are people really complaining about the shows being during the week? WTF!?!

Sue thanks as always.  We always look forward to these shows and can't wait for what i think may be our 5th year in a row!!!

No complaints here. Mid-week actually works out better for me.

I went to these shows for the first time last year, and they were two nights of pure magic--intimate, warm, hilarious and often breathtaking. Even standing out in the cold so I could get my requests in had its moments, getting to know some of the other nut cases like me. The whole experience really deepened my appreciation for Jeff's songwriting and generous spirit. He is such a charming combination of self-deprecating and cocky, and that really comes across in this setting. Plus, I got the sense that he was working hard to make every single song memorable--a little flourish here, a slightly different arrangement there. He didn't phone anything in.

Honestly, if anyone is on the fence about going, you should just do it. You only live once!

I'm thinking about golden circle again this year. Sure it's more this year, but it was also cheaper last year. Well worth it to see Jeff and a good cause too. May do golden one night and standard the other. Still have to run it by the wife though. Think the GC tickets will sell out fast again or not so much at that price?

Are people really complaining about the shows being during the week? WTF!?!

Sue thanks as always.  We always look forward to these shows and can't wait for what i think may be our 5th year in a row!!!

Just a heads up...for some folks coming in from out of town, Fri. & Sat. is waaaaaay easier to pull off. I wasn't trying to complain, but I was surprised given past history of the shows & it looked, originally, like the weekday thing would knock me out of the running.

Not so now...it appears that...

I CAN DO THIS!!

I think I've devised a way to make this work out!! Sadly the weeknight shows portion of the equation means that, unlike Solid Sound, I won't be traveling with anyone this time. But I am grateful to be going at all...and... that will involve...

~Two overnight bus rides of roughly 12 hours each- mercifully only one longish transfer/layover, in lovely Cleveland, OH. (traveling out of Rochester, by bus or train didn't work, but traveling out of Buffalo by bus does!!).

~Me cramming all the acupuncture patients for the week at my practice into Mon, Tues, Fri night & Sat. morning.

~Only one night at a hotel, but it's cheap (City Suites) &, get this, on the Red Line, which runs pretty much straight from the greyhound bus station to the Vic. I'll have plenty of wiggle room getting in, & just need to get to the bus station by 10:45 p.m. on Thurs. March 14th. I'm figuring a maximum of two hours for the show...over at 9:30, or even 10:00 should work for me (but if it's a close call it could involve a cab).

Sooooooo...many thanks to all the good folks & fellow freaks here at Via Chicago for your enthusiasm & community.

Particularly to "Wlco Me" for the Carpe Diem pep talk & inspired description of the shows, & "smrt" for your attention to the community here (from the post I quoted here I sussed out who you were- you guys ROCK- my best to the whole tribe) & all you do in general... & finally to all the moderators & others who keep this train a-rollin' ever onwards.

No complaints here. Mid-week actually works out better for me. I went to these shows for the first time last year, and they were two nights of pure magic--intimate, warm, hilarious and often breathtaking. Even standing out in the cold so I could get my requests in had its moments, getting to know some of the other nut cases like me. The whole experience really deepened my appreciation for Jeff's songwriting and generous spirit. He is such a charming combination of self-deprecating and cocky, and that really comes across in this setting. Plus, I got the sense that he was working hard to make every single song memorable--a little flourish here, a slightly different arrangement there. He didn't phone anything in. Honestly, if anyone is on the fence about going, you should just do it. You only live once!

EXACTLY! This is why even thought Golden Circle prices have gone up I have no problem with any of it. Mid-week is kind of nice actually because I can just take the train from work in the loop to the theatre.   The only downside is that I'll be going solo but even then it doesn't feel lonely because everyone waiting in line is great..  I look forward to these shows every year because they're so intimate and fun and it's an incredible chance for fans to interact with Jeff in a way that isn't possible during Wilco shows.

What airline are you using? Cheapest tickets i could find from Providence were $300+, and that's a bit more than I'd like to spend (what with S.Sound coming up).

I really want to go to the show on the 13th. It'd be my birthday present to myself.

Southwest for $218

Man ... how quickly did the Golden Circle tickets sell out?  Lucky you, Wilco Me.

So who wants to get a group together and stand in line early to get our requests in?

I'm down to get in line early (since I'll be coming in from far, far away, I'll have nothing better to do), but I don't think it'd be fair to hold spots in line just so people can make a request.  Just my thoughts ...

Ay yi yi--I did it. 2 gold circle!

Gold Circle Girl, Good for you!!  I'll be right behind you in the cheap seats!  See you soon

So who wants to get a group together and stand in line early to get our requests in?

Count me in!

Man ... how quickly did the Golden Circle tickets sell out?  Lucky you, Wilco Me.

I'm down to get in line early (since I'll be coming in from far, far away, I'll have nothing better to do), but I don't think it'd be fair to hold spots in line just so people can make a request.  Just my thoughts ...

I meant get together and hang out before the show. Who else is in?

I'll be the short Mexican girl (early 30s) in a red hat with a book and a lawn chair (or two to share).

I think I might just be up for that. I didn't know if the Gold Circle tickets were in the pit, and having never been to the Vic, I didn't want to risk it, as sometimes getting pit tickets can mean you are craning your neck to look up, & the sound can be a little lesser too close up as well. If I see it's great to get Gold Circle seats (which I assume are also general admission within the Gold Circle section- is that right?), maybe I can try for it next year, if all goes well.

But this time I just got regular tickets, which means... I may need to make an effort to get there earlier to get a good seat anyhow, & since I'm traveling alone this time I'm good with just getting there early & meeting some of the folks from here might be fun...and if I'm early enough & lucky, maybe going to get the request thing in too.

It's not super important for me to do that. I might like to take a day & just take a little Chicago time. I haven't been in there in over 10 years- used to go there for various & sundry left winger Anarchist stuff & more so, usually to see The Mekons, often at Lounge Ax- wonder if I ever crossed Sue's path back in the day?- we got to be pretty good friends with The Mekons over the years- especially Tom G. & Sarah C., who shared our penchant for smokey herbal treats. And I've never made it to Wrigley Field (along with Fenway Park, one of my most hallowed of baseball stadiums), so maybe a tour if they are running them in March. Honestly a lot will hinge on the weather...and March is a tricky one to call...

But I'm open to the possibility of a more Via Chicago based time there & the possibility of camping out early for good seats & potentially getting a request in.

For those of you who have done this in past years...What time do the earliest folks start lining up there anyhow? I believe my red eye bus from Buffalo pulls into Chicago at about 10:30 in the morning on the 13th, and then it's about 1/2 tops to get to the cheap nearby hotel (about a block away) to check-in, so I'm guessing the earliest I could get there is sometime after 11:00 but before noon. On Thursday, I can be there whenever.

I think I might just be up for that. I didn't know if the Gold Circle tickets were in the pit, and having never been to the Vic, I didn't want to risk it, as sometimes getting pit tickets can mean you are craning your neck to look up, & the sound can be a little lesser too close up as well. If I see it's great to get Gold Circle seats (which I assume are also general admission within the Gold Circle section- is that right?), maybe I can try for it next year, if all goes well.

But this time I just got regular tickets, which means... I may need to make an effort to get there earlier to get a good seat anyhow, & since I'm traveling alone this time I'm good with just getting there early & meeting some of the folks from here might be fun...and if I'm early enough & lucky, maybe going to get the request thing in too.

It's not super important for me to do that. I might like to take a day & just take a little Chicago time. I haven't been in there in over 10 years- used to go there for various & sundry left winger Anarchist stuff & more so, usually to see The Mekons, often at Lounge Ax- wonder if I ever crossed Sue's path back in the day?- we got to be pretty good friends with The Mekons over the years- especially Tom G. & Sarah C., who shared our penchant for smokey herbal treats. And I've never made it to Wrigley Field (along with Fenway Park, one of my most hallowed of baseball stadiums), so maybe a tour if they are running them in March. Honestly a lot will hinge on the weather...and March is a tricky one to call...

But I'm open to the possibility of a more Via Chicago based time there & the possibility of camping out early for good seats & potentially getting a request in.

For those of you who have done this in past years...What time do the earliest folks start lining up there anyhow? I believe my red eye bus from Buffalo pulls into Chicago at about 10:30 in the morning on the 13th, and then it's about 1/2 tops to get to the cheap nearby hotel (about a block away) to check-in, so I'm guessing the earliest I could get there is sometime after 11:00 but before noon. On Thursday, I can be there whenever.

Last year we showed up 3 hours before doors and there were a good half dozen or so people already in line.

As for seating, The Vic is usually seatless so they put down some chairs. First row you'll be craning your neck but second row (which is where we sat last year) was really nice.  Off to the right a bit works best too if you want to get some good eye contact with Jeff as he tends to stand/lean/look that way. Sorry if this comes off creepy but it's a great night and you're in for a fun experience.