Solid Sound '13 Performers?

I don't know if anyone's seen it, but I got a notice via FB that Wilco/Solid Sound made a Spotify playlist for Solid Sound.  I had already made one for myself, but this is more compact and it's interesting to hear what songs they have spotlighted.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all you NPR geeks out there, we're in the final hours of the March Madness brackets competition for favorite show, and currently it's neck and neck with This American Life and Radiolab, with TAL holding a very slim lead. You'll recall that On Fillmore will be live scoring an episode of Radiolab at Solid Sound, which should be a really interesting event. Also, I didn't realize Radiolab had so many fans--it has beaten out Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, Fresh Air and many other better known shows.

Anyway, I believe voting closes at 5:00 Pacific Time today, so go here to cast your vote: http://www.scpr.org/news/2013/04/05/36697/public-radio-bracket-madness-finals-radiolab-vs-th/

Finally, a March Madness competition I care about!

For all you NPR geeks out there, we're in the final hours of the March Madness brackets competition for favorite show, and currently it's neck and neck with This American Life and Radiolab, with TAL holding a very slim lead. You'll recall that On Fillmore will be live scoring an episode of Radiolab at Solid Sound, which should be a really interesting event. Also, I didn't realize Radiolab had so many fans--it has beaten out Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, Fresh Air and many other better known shows.

Anyway, I believe voting closes at 5:00 Pacific Time today, so go here to cast your vote: http://www.scpr.org/news/2013/04/05/36697/public-radio-bracket-madness-finals-radiolab-vs-th/

Finally, a March Madness competition I care about!

Update, for anyone who cares (maybe just me?): This American Life by a nose, with 25,186 votes, or 52%. Radiolab got 23,647, or 48%.

yeah I read that too. I really hope they don't cancel their US dates as well. I was really looking forward to seeing them.

Apprantly that had an on-stage meltdown at SXSW...condisering how young they are, the amount they are touring, and how quickly they became popular, I bet it's pretty overwhelming.

Still, pretty sure it's my favorite new album so far this year.

I've read very mixed reviews from Foxygen's recent tour. Some nights on, some nights very off (not just at SXSW). Regardless of the reviews, I'm very excited to see them at Solid Sound!

Sean Rowe added to the lineup, according to Solid Sound page on FB. Don't know him, but I assume many others do.

Never heard of him either, but according to wikipedia he's on the Anti- label and he's from Troy, NY. I've seen some (misguided, I think) criticism from locals about the lack of local talent on this year's lineup, so maybe this is a sop to those critics. Plus, of course, maybe he's good. I'll be checking him out.

Never heard of him either, but according to wikipedia he's on the Anti- label and he's from Troy, NY. I've seen some (misguided, I think) criticism from locals about the lack of local talent on this year's lineup, so maybe this is a sop to those critics. Plus, of course, maybe he's good. I'll be checking him out.

Troy. Yay! My hometown. I'm really happy to see some great things happening there. Finally.

Adding mv+ee would have been cool. Maybe next time.

Adding mv+ee would have been cool. Maybe next time.

I could be wrong, but I could have sworn I read Nels was doing something with mv+ee (or maybe just ee) a while back that was supposed to come out soonish. But I guess it was probably one of a million things that have been discussed but never materialized...

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't a rumor, just a fact: Jim James just announced a Calvin Theater (northampton) date on 6/21.  Maybe we'll see his mane strolling through the joy that is MassMOCA. Maybe we'll see him on a stage there. 

Now a Thursday night Northampton show would have made the weekend (more) perfect. But he'll be in portland that night...

• 2 weeks later...

I've been hoping for a late announcement about Mavis Staples as a surprise guest, especially because she's playing in New York on June 15. But now I see that she's playing in Toronto on June 22 and Ottawa on June 23. I suppose it's still possible that she could make a special appearance on Friday night. Sure seems like a no-brainer, considering that Jeff and Spencer will be right there and her new album with them will be dropping on June 25. And in addition to all the other connections, she even covers a Low song on the new album. C'mon, Mavis, bring us a little of your special magic on Friday night!

• 1 month later...
Low news.

http://blog.thecurrent.org/2013/06/the-audacity-of-low-what-does-a-band-owe-us-when-we-pay-to-see-them-perform/

I wish more bands would do more of this kind of thing at festivals. Get a little out of the box.  Granted, less than a half hour of playing in a 45 minute slot might get my ire up. 

That sounds so awesome. When Nels and Thurston can play guitars with springs and feet, anything can happen at SS.