Solid Sound '13 Performers?

Tickets on sale, time to really start thinking about SS'13. Wo else is playing? Rumors! Wish list?

Other than the obvious Wilco side projects (although whether Tweedy plays solo is not obvious or a foregone conclusion), some performances I'd like to see and think would fit in well with the Solid Sound vibe: Barr Brothers, Lee Renaldo Band, Heartless Bastards.

Other than Lee Renaldo, who did some opening dates this summer (yay for the Bushnell show), I have no idea who's a Wilco friend and would be a viable contender to be on the bill. So file this under "wish list."

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, since Jeff has recently produced records for them, i think Low and Kids These Days are good possibilities. And he's working with Mavis again, so maybe she'll return. And maybe Yuka Honda, who's also part of the extended family. I enjoyed them as openers in Berkeley, and Jeff guested on a song.

First of all, more than anything I want a ~Jeff Tweedy* solo performance, along with the two Wilco performances. I've never seen him solo before & I think I also make this my Christmas wish ;)
As for the rest of the shebang...I know they are longer shots, but...~Yo La Tengo* don't live that far away (Hoboken, N.J.) & they've played with Wilco before...I doubt we'll see ~The Flaming Lips*, but they are another fave choice...
An even longer shot would be a band that's partly Chicago based now still (up to three members used to live there, two still do) & that's ~The Mekons*...a better hope would be for anything with Jon Langford & Sally Timms of The Mekons- who are still Chicago based (some Mekons are in the U.K. & rarely play with the band anymore, except in the studio)...
and finally, from not so far away either Ithaca, N.Y., the perpetually touring & totally amazing ~Donna The Buffalo* would be my other dream choice.

I don't know what the chances are for a Tweedy solo set. 2010, 1 Wilco set and a Tweedy solo. 2011, two Wilco shows and no Tweedy solo. 2013, two Wilco shows and ???

Let me finish that for you: . . . Two Wilco shows and a Tweedy solo show. Because it's the third year and they want to delight the hell out of their fans!

Since maybe it would be hard to do logistically, I could see a short solo set leading into the second night's Wilco show. That would be doable.

Let me finish that for you: . . . Two Wilco shows and a Tweedy solo show. Because it's the third year and they want to delight the hell out of their fans!

Since maybe it would be hard to do logistically, I could see a short solo set leading into the second night's Wilco show. That would be doable.

What about Wilco on Friday & Saturday & Tweedy solo on Sunday...or...Wilco Friday & Sunday & Tweedy on Saturday...or...you get the idea

One show a day for Tweedy- two being Wilco...my bet is there will two Wilco shows with a 3rd appearance for others via Nels doing at least one other project, & The Autumn Defense...so why not Tweedy doing another outside of Wilco? I'm sure hoping so...

There has been some talk about The Replacements reuniting recently. Paul Westerberg & Tommy Stinson did a couple of things together to help with Slim Dunlop's medical bills from his stroke last year. If they played, it would be beyond fantastic.

I would love to see the Jayhawks play at Solid Sound - I think they would like the vibe at the festival. And the potential for a Golden Smog cover like Radio King, with Jeff joining Gary during a Jayhawks set or Gary joining Jeff in a Wilco encore, would be a great bonus.

Yes. That'd be cool too. Radio King has always been one of my favorites. 

I would love to see the Jayhawks play at Solid Sound - I think they would like the vibe at the festival. And the potential for a Golden Smog cover like Radio King, with Jeff joining Gary during a Jayhawks set or Gary joining Jeff in a Wilco encore, would be a great bonus.

That's the best suggestion yet.

For me Wilco and Mass Moca are enough...which is why I already bought the early worm tickets. The rest is just icing on the cake.

...and I've already seen Wilco many, many, many times and been to Mass Moca many times as well. Both still totally worth it.

I couldn't agree more - well said!

Well, of course. Is anyone thinking that the choice of other artists would influence whether or not they come to the festival? That would be crazy!

To me, this thread is all about speculation and musing: Which side projects will perform? Who will Wilco and their management decide fits in well with the vibe of the festival--Artists who inflenced Wilco? Up and coming artists who represent some of the sensibilities of Wilco members? I've loved how eclectic the choices have been in the past years.

Well, of course. Is anyone thinking that the choice of other artists would influence whether or not they come to the festival? That would be crazy!

To me, this thread is all about speculation and musing: Which side projects will perform? Who will Wilco and their management decide fits in well with the vibe of the festival--Artists who inflenced Wilco? Up and coming artists who represent some of the sensibilities of Wilco members? I've loved how eclectic the choices have been in the past years.

Of course we are going to speculate. I've already done so twice in this very post. No one is going to take that from you. Just making a point about how great the event is regardless of the line up.