Solid Sound '13 Performers?

Fairly random, but Graham Parker does live in the Hudson Valley. As a solo act, I believe he has played small places north of NYC for years. And he stars in Judd Apatow's new movie that also has a Wilco song on the soundtrack. Not a strong connection, but a thread maybe.

Hopefully his current tour lasts longer than the dates he has scheduled for this month, which I guess it will. Maybe all the way to June????

Now that I think of it, SS 2 had veteran acts - The Levon Helm Band, Syl Johnson and the Sweet Devines, Dave Douglas, Neil Finn of Pajama Club - I could see Graham Parker and the Rumour fitting in at SS 3.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, but is this just a random thought, or is there some connection that I'm not aware of?

It's just a random impulse, Diane, but I just got to see them at the Record Release Party for "This is 40", and they damn near blew my soul shoes off my feet!!! I could see them being a wonderful fit for Solid Sound. Fun, energetic...just a brilliant band.

Two of the Rumour come from Nick lowe's original pub band, Brinsley Schwarz. (guitarist Brinsley Schwarz and Keyboard player Bob Andrews)...I guess that's a bit of a connection.

They'd be such a fun addition. :)

They ended the show the other night with a kickass version of the Jacksons' "I Want You Back".

It's just a random impulse, Diane, but I just got to see them at the Record Release Party for "This is 40", and they damn near blew my soul shoes off my feet!!! I could see them being a wonderful fit for Solid Sound. Fun, energetic...just a brilliant band.

Two of the Rumour come from Nick lowe's original pub band, Brinsley Schwarz. (guitarist Brinsley Schwarz and Keyboard player Bob Andrews)...I guess that's a bit of a connection.

They'd be such a fun addition. :)

They ended the show the other night with a kickass version of the Jacksons' "I Want You Back".

Well, then, we should start a write in campaign on Wilco's Facebook page!

• 4 weeks later...

I'd love to see Father John Misty and Langhorne Slim. I'm pretty sure Wilco and the Fleet Foxes have played together so there's some history with FJM. Not sure about Slim but I'm sure he'd fit in with the festival like a glove.

I agree, but is this just a random thought, or is there some connection that I'm not aware of?

1996-11-05

audience: It's Gram 's birthday!

Jeff: I don't care.  Gram, who?

audience:

Jeff: Graham Parker's birthday?  Alright.

audience: Parsons!

Jeff: Oh, that's great.

Jay: Hey, it's Ken Coomer's birthday!

Jeff: It's Ken Coomer's birthday.

Jay: 56 years old and still rocking!

Jeff: I'm just kidding.  That's great.

• 2 weeks later...

Low (presumably Alan Sparhawk) on Twitter, answering a fan query on why they weren't playing Boston on their next tour, said it was because  'think that we are playing the Solid Sound Festival' (sic)

Oh yes...

Low (presumably Alan Sparhawk) on Twitter, answering a fan query on why they weren't playing Boston on their next tour, said it was because  'think that we are playing the Solid Sound Festival' (sic)

Oh yes...

I heard the same thing a while back from a friend who had been to see Nels play at one of his recent gigs. He was chatting with him afterwards and Nels said they were coming. He wasn't sure it was OK to post the info but since it's now coming from two sources, it seems fine to mention it.

Of my entire list of people/bands I wanted to see at SS '13, Reggie Watts was at the top. Suddenly I'm even more excited for June to come (didn't think that was possible.)   :hyper

Wow, that's exciting for you. I don't think I've ever heard of him, but it's encouraging to hear that he has such a big fan. Anything in particular you suggest we should check out? I googled him and came up with a video about blowjobs that didn't seem very amusing. But hopefully that's not the best thing he's ever done!

Yeah, I love Reggie Watts. Super funny and talented dude. He does a lot of the music for the show "Louie" on FX, that's him leading the way on the remake of Hot Chocolate's Brother Louie that the show uses as it's theme song.

--Mike

I am assuming there will be a Retribution Gospel and separate Low shows with the EP featuring Nels. 

Would love to see:

Lady Lamb the Beekeeper

Debo Band

Tinariwen

Woods

Deep Dark Woods

Jim James or Carl Bromel

Malkmus

Antibalas

Ebo Taylor

isn't Malkmus still living in Germany? a solo SM show would rule, though.

i like some of yr other choices as well (Tinariwen seems definitely possible, as does Debo Band).

i wanna see Ty Segall added. Kurt Vile would work nicely too. and please please please Giant Sand! it's been over a decade since Howe's played near me.

I'm hoping this is the year Jim O'Rourke makes an appearance. I remember talking to the organizer of Solid Sound this past September, because he also puts on Grace Potters festival up in Vermont. I asked him about O'Rourke and he said that it comes up every year, it's just hard to get him out of Japan apparently.