Solid Sound '13 Performers?

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well if they don't announce a Tweedy solo--and I'm still hoping they do--I'll bet it's Yo La Tengo on Sunday, with Wilco joining for the final hour or so. I'm more than satisfied with this.

Well if they don't announce a Tweedy solo--and I'm still hoping they do--I'll bet it's Yo La Tengo on Sunday, with Wilco joining for the final hour or so. I'm more than satisfied with this.

I think YLT would be the only band on the bill (except for Wilco, of course) that would keep a crowd around for Sunday. If not them, then probably Neko Case? MMW? I'm sure these details will come trickling in.

I think YLT would be the only band on the bill (except for Wilco, of course) that would keep a crowd around for Sunday. If not them, then probably Neko Case? MMW? I'm sure these details will come trickling in.

I'm hoping for, & betting on, YLT headlining Sunday too (& I agree that Neko Case is the next most likely candidate for that position).

I just saw them in Cleveland & Toronto & they did two sets- about 9-10 sort of more acoustic numbers (seated) & then came out for a full electric set after about a 1/2 hour break, but...when I saw them play the soundtrack to the Buckminster Fuller film in Ithaca, they followed that up with a "Freewheelin' Yo La Tengo" show- a full show, but all seated acoustic, took requests, answered questions (I'd never seen one before, & I've seen them a lot). I've also never got to see a spinning wheel show (like what Elvis Costello does, & what Sufjan Stevens did at his Xmas shows this last year), but I know they do that too.

I'm kind of betting that they'll do a full headlining show with the two sets like what they've been touring with, but I wonder if they'll play the film soundtrack on the same day, or whether they'll be there over the course of two days?

I'm also hoping that we'll get some Wilco members sitting in with them on a few things...since Wilco was the big presence at the 2010 YLT Hanukkah shows (Tweedy opened acoustic one night & them played 3-4 songs with them at the end; Nels & Mikael each sat in for full shows on different nights).

I'm glad I decided to go to the solo acoustic shows at the Vic. I'm sure he'll do solo acoustic someday again on the east coast, but just since there's nothing announced for this one. I've got to admit that I'm still holding out a slim hope that we might get a solo acoustic set on Sunday somewhere.

As several people noted before, this is a great lineup, and many Wilco fans will probably find it stronger than the first two.

It looks like fewer bands/artists than the previous festivals (I did not count, so no data to back that up), but more contemporary bands/artists with good-sized followings, like MMW, YLT, and Neko Case. And they still have the ones from left field (Os Mutantes, Foxygen, Lucius) and the vets (The Dream Syndicate, The Relatives, and I guess Os Mutantes fits here, too).

Should be a great time. And, if they bring back the free yogurt, free butter, and free sweet potato chips, it will be perfect. And let's not forget the great, great beer.

I would like to see them have Harpoon. It's relatively local and great. I was also happy to see them serving drinks made with Berkshire Distillery's products 2 years ago, so it would be nice to have that again. I remember a yummy Bloody Mary served Sunday morning

At both SS, beer was $5 (a reasonable price).  The first year they served Magic Hat, and the second year they served Goose Island.  Lagunitas was available at the bar, but they ran out early.   They could certainly do better in the beer department...

A few more folks I know are going now, but there's at least two which can only do either one, or possibly two days...but...they are wondering who is playing & when. With Wilco on Fri. & Sat. that ties things up for one of them, but the other is a big Yo La Tengo fan too, soooooo...I'm wondering when the schedule for the weekend will get released.
That & I'm still secretly holding out hope for an acoustic Jeff Tweedy set on Sunday, as a surprise yet to be unveiled.

I'm wondering when the schedule for the weekend will get released.

That & I'm still secretly holding out hope for an acoustic Jeff Tweedy set on Sunday, as a surprise yet to be unveiled.

Not out to crush hopes, but I don't see a solo set happening either. If I remember right, at SS I there was one Wilco and one solo Jeff show, and at SS II there were two nights of Wilco. I'd lay money that we'll get the announced two nights of Wilco this June and no solo set.

For SS II, the acts were announced on March 1st. From looking back through the threads here from that time two years ago, it looks like the daily schedule for the show came out a few weeks before the show, in early June.